3 Cushion Handicapped Tournament

eze123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait a minute, something doesn't compute here. You're having a billiards tournament, and it only takes two days?? If it's a USBA tourney it has to go three days. So I go to the site and it says "minimum 48 players". And it says you're affiliated with the USBA. So if it's a "USBA" tournament, and 48 players, I'm figuring 8 flights of 6 round robin, C players play to 20 points. Finals are 4 flights of 6 round robin, C players play to 30. It's either a 24 hour affair or you've actually realized the old format doesn't work so well? You can tell us, we've had some negative discussions on the USBA tournament format before.

eze123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wonderful dripping sarcasm.

Too obvious?
If you don't mind me quoting from your site, the format is: 8 flights of 6 round robin. One player per flight will be eliminated. Games are 25 points or 50 innings, whichever comes first. Uh-oh, the USBA would approve.
The next round will be direct elimination, this means 40 players will be reduced to 20.
The next round will be reduced to 10 - direct elimination. Next round is 5 with a carryover, then 3 same, and so forth.
What you're saying is you have a big pack early on, and then start eliminating people quickly. So everybody that enters gets to play a good deal, but at some point the field gets chopped down by half every time. So if you have no chance of winning, you get to go home, if you have a chance of winning, you will know in a short time. I'm uncomfortable with the idea - is there any way the 20 people eliminated in the first round could hang around the whole weekend and and play every other person in the 20 group to 20 points and clog up the tables playing matches that will make no difference, and nobody cares about, least of all the players?

bestbilliardslv

Registered
Stay, play & have fun - as long as you Wish.

ANSWER............
Too obvious?
If you don't mind me quoting from your site, the format is: 8 flights of 6 round robin. One player per flight will be eliminated. Games are 25 points or 50 innings, whichever comes first. CORRECT. Uh-oh, the USBA would approve. NOTE: THIS IS NOT A USBA TOURNMENT.
The next round will be direct elimination, this means 40 players will be reduced to 20. CORRECT AGAIN.
The next round will be reduced to 10 - direct elimination. Next round is 5 with a carryover, then 3 same, and so forth. YES.:thumbup:
What you're saying is you have a big pack early on, and then start eliminating people quickly. So everybody that enters gets to play a good deal, but at some point the field gets chopped down by half every time. So if you have no chance of winning, you get to go home, if you have a chance of winning, you will know in a short time. REMEMBER THIS IS A HANDICAPPED TOURNMENT. I'm uncomfortable with the idea - is there any way the 20 people eliminated in the first round could hang around the whole weekend and and play every other person in the 20 group to 20 points and clog up the tables playing matches that will make no difference, and nobody cares about, least of all the players? YES OF COURSE YOU CAN STAY AS LONG AS YOU WISH AND PLAY AS MANY PLAYERS AS WILL PLAY WITH YOU. EVERYONE IS HERE TO PLAY BILLIARDS - SO STAY, PLAY AND HAVE FUN.

eze123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ANSWER............
I'm uncomfortable with the idea - is there any way the 20 people eliminated in the first round could hang around the whole weekend and and play every other person in the 20 group to 20 points and clog up the tables playing matches that will make no difference, and nobody cares about, least of all the players? YES OF COURSE YOU CAN STAY AS LONG AS YOU WISH AND PLAY AS MANY PLAYERS AS WILL PLAY WITH YOU. EVERYONE IS HERE TO PLAY BILLIARDS - SO STAY, PLAY AND HAVE FUN.

Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic. I like your format. The problem as some of us see it with the all long round robin tournaments is you can get basically knocked out early and yet you still have to play endless more games even though it doesn't make a difference. Of course, if you want to hang around and play until 2 in the morning, sure, why not. My point
is you knock out 20 players early, right? If they're out of the tournament at that point, they can go back to their jobs and families. If they want to hang around, fine, but they're out of the running at that point. Problem with the long round robin usba format is you can be out of the running early and you still have to drag another day of 15 20 point 1.5 hour games. People get fed up and walk out. They have no chance of winning but they have to stick around for twelve hours and play the last game and it doesn't matter if they win it, they're out.

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree we need to try different formats. We shouldn't have to be stuck with round robins all the time. I like the handicap format you have started in Vegas. Keep up the good work. The USBA can learn from your tournaments.

Steve Andersen
USBA Midwest Director

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rumors...Rumors...Rumors

By the way bestbilliardslv,

Rumors are floating all over about a major event you have in the works at your place. Are you about ready to spill the beans or is it too early yet?

This could be major!

Steve Andersen
USBA Midwest Director

jimshovak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear EZE123,

It's OK if you don't like the typical round robin formats that are typically used at USBA tournaments. That is your preference. But I would like to bring 2 things to your attention:

1) Many players (including myself) LOVE the round robin formats and we love to play as many games as possible even if we are "out of it already".

2) The round robin formats that are typically used are NOT the "official" USBA formats. There is no such thing. We can do any format we wish. Most of the tournament players prefer the round robin format so that is what we have been doing. But we should certainly start using other formats as well, as I have previously posted on other strings.

bestbilliardslv

Registered
EZE123:
Thank you. Yes we agree and appreciate you concerns. That is why we are doing it this way. You can stay and play as long as you can. Thanks again.

Last edited:

eze123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear EZE123,

It's OK if you don't like the typical round robin formats that are typically used at USBA tournaments. That is your preference. But I would like to bring 2 things to your attention:

1) Many players (including myself) LOVE the round robin formats and we love to play as many games as possible even if we are "out of it already".

2) The round robin formats that are typically used are NOT the "official" USBA formats. There is no such thing. We can do any format we wish. Most of the tournament players prefer the round robin format so that is what we have been doing. But we should certainly start using other formats as well, as I have previously posted on other strings.

Yes, I understand that many of the members like the current format. Some people feel the current round robin three day format goes on too long, it's been voiced here before other than me, they'd like two days on a weekend as opposed to having to take a day off for the meeting the night before, play all day and into the night Friday, the whole weekend, and possibly another one on Monday, depending on where you live, I mean leaving and driving home and etc. 3 days of play can equal 1 or 2 days out of work if you don't live close. We'll agree to disagree. I was being sarcastic but I see what you're saying. My point is when I see a 48 player tournament, an almost 50 player 3-cushion tournament in the US, last only two days, and I see 9-ball tournaments with 50 players that go for two days, happens all the time, and nobody feels cheated. I'm just asking, does a 10-25 player billiards tournament really need to go three full days? There's absolutely no way to nip a few points off here and there? Maybe limit the number of innings, I like that idea - if a match goes over an hour, say, high score wins - time limit per match, etc. There's no possible way 20 players can have a good tournament in 12 hours times 2 days = a full 24 hours of play? Just a question.