Pool in need of another great ambassador

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also think Filler is a top contender for "ambassador". Besides his ability at the table, and confidence that comes through in his spoken communication, there is the whole story of he and his wife meeting at the pool hall when teens and then 10 years later traveling the world together with a cue stick on their backs. The general public will eat that up.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
God, for someone who cries as much as you do about made up news...
The main game? Where...area 51?

He said overseas.

And over there they are apparently better suited to see the inherent subtlety and demanding beauty of the game.

Here, you can rack up another game of 9ball on a bar table.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willie had no personality!! Minnesota Fats made Willie interesting. The fact that he was one of the few things to watch made him interesting, there was only 4 channels to choose from and one of them didn't come in well with those rabbit ears or clothes hangers.

Earl was a show worth watching, Keith was a show worth watching, Kid Delicious..,

Did you ever see him play?

He walked into a room reeking class. He was "the man" and knew it.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bingo, Willies popularity was before everyone had a tv, or could even afford it. In his prime, he was the highest paid athlete on the planet/Brunswick.

His body language was not good for TV, his game, skills etc were, but his personality was NOT helpful, like Rudolph.

Those two were as different as Ted Knight and Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack.

I don't know.

Willie made an appearance on all the talk shows of the day and the TV game shows like "I've Got a Secret." Wherever he appeared, anywhere in the country, the room was filled. Even in his later years, folks would show up just to be able to say they saw the greatest of all time. It was not unlike people who had no interest in basketball buying tickets to see Jordan play.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited: