Wrist flick for extra juice

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnPNUyBtnIM

Check out Parica at 23:50. Looks like he wrists the ball back to me here, very interesting. Aside from the wrist flick I wonder why he didnt play that same shot with follow or high inside.... and come up off the short rail instead. Intimidation tactic that backfired?

henho

I Beat Fidelshnitzer
Silver Member
He left himself too little angle on the 7. Following two rails is not easier than drawing, since you must contend with a possible side pocket scratch, and the first rail is close enough to the pocket to cause concern (hitting the point and getting an inconsistent rebound).

Some players use a lot of wrist and some don't, Parica prefers a loose wrist. I think his mistake was not in selecting the draw but in leaving too short of an angle.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Thanks hen, if the point was a factor that would explain it. Tough to tell but to me it looks like theres room and angle enough to follow. Looks like extra wrist to me too for that particular shot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnPNUyBtnIM

Check out Parica at 23:50. Looks like he wrists the ball back to me here, very interesting. Aside from the wrist flick I wonder why he didnt play that same shot with follow or high inside.... and come up off the short rail instead. Intimidation tactic that backfired?
For that level of player, drawing back and coming of the end rail is a standard, simple shot. He just didn't have enough spin left for the end rail -- I'm pretty sure he meant to go to the right of the 9. As mentioned, wrist is not required for that shot.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Thanks Bob, agreed. Do you think thats easier than following though?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob, agreed. Do you think thats easier than following though?
I'm more comfortable with the draw shot in that situation. Also, some people prefer outside english when there's a choice. Of course, you have to be ready to play each kind of shot. For the follow shot, which side of the 8 would you try to go to -- this side or other side?

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
I'm more comfortable with the draw shot in that situation. Also, some people prefer outside english when there's a choice. Of course, you have to be ready to play each kind of shot. For the follow shot, which side of the 8 would you try to go to -- this side or other side?

I guess youre right, some just prefer draw in general. Not sure what you mean by what side of the 8, its pretty close to the rail. Looks to me like plain follow would do the job and avoid the right side pocket too. Or if the shot looks too straight, a little bit of inside should work just as well. (Also if he had chosen follow, the 9 ball wouldnt be there to block him the way it did.) But I do see your point, its just my brain screaming for follow. At that close distance, its all preference.

Last edited:

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Pinoys use this stroke a lot with good results. The faster cloth usually lets the cue ball move along the tangent line a little more with a firm hit. The spin takes longer to grab.

I use this stroke to achieve quick spin instead of a regular draw stroke. In Jose's shot, I would have used a regular draw stroke and allowed the cue ball to bounce off the rail more before it drew back. The quick draw stroke caused the cue ball to come back immediately and he didn't create enough angle. Not saying I could do better, just sayin'. He's the "Legend". :smile:

I started a thread about this stroke a while back. I learned it from a pro player and see it often because I know what to look for. Johnny uses it, Earl also used it before Jose' in the same match. It's a good tool for fast tables.

BTW, anybody notice the change in Earl's stroke in the past year? How about Shane's? Notice any similarities in style that we've seen used before?

Best,
Mike

K.Mcphee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Pinoys use this stroke a lot with good results. The faster cloth usually lets the cue ball move along the tangent line a little more with a firm hit. The spin takes longer to grab.

I use this stroke to achieve quick spin instead of a regular draw stroke. In Jose's shot, I would have used a regular draw stroke and allowed the cue ball to bounce off the rail more before it drew back. The quick draw stroke caused the cue ball to come back immediately and he didn't create enough angle. Not saying I could do better, just sayin'. He's the "Legend". :smile:

I started a thread about this stroke a while back. I learned it from a pro player and see it often because I know what to look for. Johnny uses it, Earl also used it before Jose' in the same match. It's a good tool for fast tables.

BTW, anybody notice the change in Earl's stroke in the past year? How about Shane's? Notice any similarities in style that we've seen used before?

Best,
Mike

They have been reading AZ.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought that was the difference between pushing the ball and stroking the ball? Not so much the wrist flick per say. The change between the lose grip on the back stroke and the tightening of the grip on the forward stroke.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken...You're right. The "wrist flick" has little to no ability to affect any significant change in the outcome, other than perhaps psychological. The cuetip is on the CB for just too short of a time for there to be any difference (1/1000 of a second). It all about accuracy on the CB (striking 3mm area, with zero tolerance, at the right speed...AND, on demand, under pressure, in ONE try! LOL), and letting the cue do the work...as opposed to forcing the cuestick through the CB. Both ways work...simpler is better, imo.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I thought that was the difference between pushing the ball and stroking the ball? Not so much the wrist flick per say. The change between the lose grip on the back stroke and the tightening of the grip on the forward stroke.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...The "wrist flick" has little to no ability to affect any significant change in the outcome, other than perhaps psychological. ...]

And I'll go out on a strong branch and say you are seein a little of the choke-stroke from Jose there!
Well, as close as he gets to it anyway.