Gap Between Slate

SlateMate

Banned
how much gap is too much. the bottom of the slate is hitting before the top and therefore causing a big gap. is this too much gap? if so should i sand down the bottom part of the slate where it abuts the other?

Attachments

• DSCF2396.JPG
    DSCF2396.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 217

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
It is definitely better if you can get them closer together. Ideally, I like to have them tight enough that I can only fit one layer of drywall tape between them.

It seems odd that a set of matched slates would be cut so far off. Often times, the pins and inserts are what prevent slates from sitting tight together. Keep in mind, if you change the position of the slates, you may be limited by the existing screw holes that are in the frame. It is best to plug the existing holes with wooden dowel, and start fresh.

SlateMate

Banned
the problem is; they won't go any closer because the bottom of the slate is hitting first. i'd have to shave off some of the bottom of the slate to get them closer but then my screw holes would be off..... i have the slate pretty darned level and i don't want to restart that process.... i guess i'll just have to bondo and see how it goes.

bradsh98

Silver Member
the problem is; they won't go any closer because the bottom of the slate is hitting first. i'd have to shave off some of the bottom of the slate to get them closer but then my screw holes would be off..... i have the slate pretty darned level and i don't want to restart that process.... i guess i'll just have to bondo and see how it goes.

If that's the case, make sure that your paper glue wicks fill the gap. Use additional layers as necessary. I like to use 4-5 locations across the seam. Some people think that it is unnecessary to place them near the screw locations. I disagree.

SlateMate

Banned
you mean i should put 1/16" of paper in between the seam then soak it with super-glue? that's a lot of paper... i was just going to bondo the crap out of it...

bradsh98

Silver Member
It's best to have some way to bond the slates together. Bondo will fill the gap, but not create a bond. If the slates ever shift, you will have a visible seam.

I use drywall tape (a tip from Jay Spielberg, A-1 Billiards). You can layer it as thick as you need, and it wicks glue quite nicely. In your case, the slate is touching at the bottom, but not the top. Therefor, you will need to stagger the depth of each layer. The bonding area does not need to be full-depth, but it helps, to ensure a solid bond.

Since your paper will be quite thick, it is easiest to use a knife to slice the paper along the edge of the slate. Cut it from both sides, and it should fold over and pull off. Use a utility blade to scrape the glue/paper flush with the slate. Then fill the seam with Bondo, as per usual.

SlateMate

Banned
ok, thanks.... ya know i expect better from Brunswick. i'm going to pull it apart and look at the slate again and might sand down the bottom a tad where it's hitting.