Any AE cue reviews?

peterskw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They sure look beautiful but I'd like to hear some reviews. I can't search the forum because the word AE is too short.

Thanks,
Pete

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
I asked about AE cues several years ago on another pool forum, and I remember at least one knowledgeable person saying they were excellent cues. I still haven't had the chance to try one.

sad_clown0306

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with an AE Cue for about 8 years now.
It was an excellent pick. The hit is very clean and direct. Everybody who made a few shots with it gave me that same comment. They were surprised about the direct hit.
AE is very underestimated if you ask me and i never understood why that is. The Cues even look great.

A friend of mine bought another AE here from the Forum. When he tried the Cue he was amazed about the playability. I tried it too and it truly was very nice.

AE even has some very nice designed Cues. Nice wood combinations, Inlays, ringwork etc. I wished people would give the Cue the attention it deserves.

Balance Point from AE Cues is at the front, usually a 5/16 14 metal pin. I have seen also other pins, Quality of wood etc is very good.

If you have a chance to play a few shots just try it out. Make your own judgement. I think you will be surprised how good they play.

In addition i would like to point out that i also have other Cues like SouthWest, Tim Scruggs, Runde Schon and played with many other high Quality Cues.
So i think i have a very good basis of comparison about the playability of high end quality Cues.

Last edited:

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
They are as well made as any cue anywhere by anyone.. The playability is fantastic. They are currently at the top of the list of under-appreciated cue makers in my opinion..

Birdseye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got one. The craftsmanship is excellent, points even, nice woods etc. (spalted maple into coco)and it plays very nice. Mine is a flat faced 3/8 x 10 with phenolic sleeve over the coco forearm wood. I like the feel of the hit.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Most of the A-E cues I own or have owned have a radial pin-flat face.
The two I played with last night have a stainless steel piloted joint, and I was really impressed with the overall feel.
The steel jointed cues seem to hit harder, but the tips are original from the 90's and I have no idea what they are.
I wish I could change tips everytime I test hit a cue, but I can't.
A-E also does a terrific job on Titlist conversion cues.
Here's a few A-E cues including a conversion from a purple heart Titlist blank

AECues006.jpg

AECues012.jpg

AECues007-1.jpg

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The two I played with last night have a stainless steel piloted joint, and I was really impressed with the overall feel.
The steel jointed cues seem to hit harder, but the tips are original from the 90's and I have no idea what they are.

AECues006.jpg

AECues012.jpg

AECues007-1.jpg
I'm super I'm pressed by them! I play with a Tascarella and old Joss Cues. AE Cues just jumped up there with them.
And you're right, their conversion are amazing. Here's one I just picked up.
IMG_4128.jpg

AEcuegroup2002.jpg

IMG_4119.jpg

veneercolors.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

AEcuegroup2001.jpg

buttveneer.jpg

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

AECues006.jpg

AECues012.jpg

AECues007-1.jpg

Are the ferules in good condition?

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AE makes a great cue. I always wondered why you dont hear more about their cues.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Resell on them is pretty bad.

I try to avoid them for that reason mostly. I have seen some pretty nice looking and I have hit with a few.

But buying one, at least for me, I have avoided if I know it will be tough to move later.

Ken

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I try to avoid them for that reason mostly. I have seen some pretty nice looking and I have hit with a few.

But buying one, at least for me, I have avoided if I know it will be tough to move later.

Ken

I hear you can. The way the play it's hard to imagine them going down in value, but some cues are like that. This Titlist is a keeper big time though.
Monte

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ken
That's why your best bet is to pick one up on the secondary market instead of buying new. :grin:

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
They are as well made as any cue anywhere by anyone.. The playability is fantastic. They are currently at the top of the list of under-appreciated cue makers in my opinion..

Very true statement..........................
AE cues are second to none in playability and perfect craftsmanship.
I have owned 3 high end AE playing cues and 1 AE jump/break cue.
They were all outstanding cues.
However their resale value sucks, I don't know why that is but it's a fact.
My guess is two big reasons why AE is so Under-Apprecisted is
1. AE is from a small market town.
2. Jeff Fugal is not exactly a people person and can come off as arrogant.

Here is a perfect example of unbelievable craftsmanship of an AE cue I owned.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=185931

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I met them at the SBE

a couple of years ago and they were super nice guys. Genuine and will work with you with any request. They have some of the cleanest points and finish out there

motic

Blahaha
Here are some pictures of my AE.. (Second one I have owned).. Personally the best hitting cue I have ever played with. The pictures are a bit blurry, the camera on my phone really sucks.

3_zps7bef0989.jpg

2_zps5df85171.jpg

1_zps1e626396.jpg

4_zpsb0d77e79.jpg

chainsaw

Registered
AE cues

Ok ,If I may let me add my 2 cents. I Own a one off AE cue and have to say It is the best cue I have ever hit. Period. The attention to detail they put into their cues is extraordinaire. Funny the players don't know about them but the collectors sure do. A+++++++++++++ on AE cues. If you get a chance to buy one do it .Can't go wrong no way no how.. Solid hitting cue that will raise your game up a a notch.

saint1

saint1
Silver Member
AE Cue

I had one a few years ago and played excellent. Wouldn't hesitate to own one again.