Mosconi Cup Tournament Table - Opinions?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pockets appear to be playing ridiculously big for this level of competition, and the players know it, so are they are playing very aggressive and cheating the heck out of the pockets when necessary, and making balls on clearly missed shots even when there is no reason for them to be cheating the pocket.

Overall very disappointing for a Mosconi Cup table, in my opinion.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I am just happy it is easy to watch on Facebook!

Enjoy the action and who cares about whether the table is perfect???!!

Trent from Toledo

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
Yeah, table is playing really loose. That also means Sky really shouldn't have missed the cut.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, table is playing really loose. That also means Sky really shouldn't have missed the cut.
He missed it partly due to poor positioning leaving him too straight in on the 6-ball, forcing him to hit that shot much harder than he'd like, and he just didn't hit it hard enough to get the cue ball back off the side rail to the middle of the table which would have left him a much more manageable shot on the 7-ball. Yes, on these big pockets he still should have made the cut shot, but he undercut it badly. It ended up being the difference in the match.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m seeing balls go that wouldn’t go on my valley. Skylers scratch on the break wasn’t even close to going in on good equipment.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I wonder if the big pockets were to give Team USA a better chance to play flawless and get out more often.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol already memes

Attachments

• EAB57CBC-84C2-4F2F-B480-1AD5E6E95A92.jpg
    EAB57CBC-84C2-4F2F-B480-1AD5E6E95A92.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,131

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
same table .. both teams

even if they are buckets both teams playing on same table .. it's not like pockets shrink when USA is playing ..

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
even if they are buckets both teams playing on same table .. it's not like pockets shrink when USA is playing ..

The Europeans have missed multiple shots that have gone in. I know why they are using this junk but it’s imbarrasing for pros to be playing on tables looser then a bar box.

mudball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm just looking at it from an entertainment perspective. With them playing this loose it could be over within a day it feels like...don't care if it's USA or EU lol. I wanna see drama/rattled shots, don't care to see any free wheeling in this event.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To each their own but I don't want to watch professionals hit "poor" shots that go in. Europe has had a couple and Styer had one in game 2.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New cloth, TV lights etc. means the tables always play loose, especially on day 1.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Earl would still be *****ing about Albin and the Greek banking balls during the team bout. Hit the long rail 3 diamonds up, falls right in. I understand the pockets are the same for everyone but playing on a reasonably tight GC or Diamond the US wins the team match for a 1-0 lead. That isn't to say they don't go on to lose 1-11, I'm just saying they win RD 1 if the equipment isn't crazy loose.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
New cloth, TV lights etc. means the tables always play loose, especially on day 1.

^ This.

New cloth is slick, so balls slide off rails a lot more and thus pockets play much larger.

Won't be like that as the matches progress.

USA has had some sloppy pocketing yes. But so did Ouschan and Kazakis.

I don't think the pockets are big. However, the pocket angles are a little bit straight...which does make them play easier.

Can't tell about the uneven shelf. I think that might be distortion from the wide-angle over head camera which is not perfectly centered over the table.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not really upset the euro’s got some rolls from it because we will to. I just think the best players in the world playing in the biggest 9 ball event of the year should be playing on equipment that penalizes you for bad shots and this table doesn’t come close to doing that.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even the announcers are calling the table a joke.
Yeah, you only had to watch a couple shots the Euro team missed badly in the first match but the balls still went in, to know that is the case. However, Sky's miss on the cut shot that likely cost us winning that first match was undercut so badly that even the loose pockets didn't save him. I'm sure his final thought before that shot was "just don't overcut it as it will likely go in off the side rail if I undercut it". He just undercut it way too much even the buckets couldn't save him. After that, mentally he had no chance having to step right back in the box the next match. Shane looks awesome so far - that final match shutting out Shaw was a huge boost for the US team to end the session with a lead.

Last edited: