Raist Chen aka titlistsucker

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
I had more dealings with Raist on E-bay, but I know he was a loved fixture here on AZ. He was taken from this world too soon, and it is documented here how much he suffered in his latter days. As one of the most avid collectors of Titlist cues, he may have single handedly started the craze that rages on to this day for that elusive Titlist. He was one of the early ones to recognize Dennis Searing's talent, and was quick to share his knowledge with anyone, and had the craziest avatar. I know there are members here who have great stories, but this is my favorite thread by Raist.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=22483&highlight=titlistsucker

RIP Raist

Last edited:

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He definitely was unforgettable.

During his final moments, his friend sent me a picture and told me a story. It was moving, and I was honored to tell it here.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=37715

The thread title is "A picture of Raist and a story about courage".

"Courage" does not begin to do justice to that story. I remember when you first posted it and I don't think that I'll ever forget it.

The story is too touching to risk people not taking the time to follow the link and read it. ;)

TNPChampions.jpg

This picture is from the newspaper. This is Raist, TitlistSucker here on A-Z Billiards. Raist is well known among us cue collectors here. Raist is battling the advanced stages of cancer right now half a world away in Singapore.

This picture and story was sent to me at my request from MasterClass, Christopher, his good friend in Singapore. Raist confided in me months ago that his disease was progressing and that he did not have long to live.

This picture was taken in 2002. Raist is the healthy looking and handsome young man with the white collar looking down at the check. MasterClass is his friend next to him, with his fist raised. They just won the Team National Championship playing 8 Ball at Singapore's spectacular Convention Center.

A month of round robin qualifiers lead to the quarter finals, the semi-finals, and the championship. Raist and MasterClass were on a team that was only supposed to be an alternate. With mostly unknown players, they were a huge underdog to win anything much less the tournament. They were called to play in the semi-finals against the first team, and somehow they knocked them out!

They went on to the Convention Center, with it's 4 floor atrium filled to the brim with spectators.

Raist was ill at the time and in severe pain, but insisted on playing his matches. It was a race to 9 playing 8 ball. Raist's team made it to 8 ahead.

They were on the hill, and it was Raist's match. Despite the pain and weakness from his illness, Raist stepped up and played. It was his moment. Raist somehow made it through the 9th rack AND WON THE NATIONAL TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP! The stadium erupted in pandemonium.

This picture was taken, and Raist was taken to the hospital right after and admitted.

Raist has always faced his disease with the utmost courage, rarely talking about it. All this time I knew Raist , he never even mentioned this championship.

Let's pray for this beautiful young man. Please, now let's pray for a miracle.

Chris

Hi all,

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Many of your compliments has been most flattering and i am not worthy keke :eek:

brief recap on what really happened to me...
Yeah i got diagnosed with bone cancer last march in 2005, and was already the later stages of the disease when it was discovered. The prognosis was to be 3-6 months unless i did a hemipelvectomy (sp?) which in laymen terms means taking off the whole left leg and the bum. Well no pool? not on your life i told the doctor, for someone who spends 8 hours in a pool hall everyday, i wouldnt be able to stand not playing pool less than a day!
i got a bad deal though... by sep 05 i was already in too much pain even with morphine to last a decent game. Bone Cancer, haha what irony, if i have gotten some other cancer rest assured i be lying dead over a pool table.
Sometimes it feels as though i am been punished for playing way too much pool kekeke..

Remarkably, its been a long 15 months since and without any other medication (chemo) other than some alternative theraphies i read on the net, and of course carressing my precious titlist cues i have gone so far now. i wholly bedridden now lying on my stomach all the time.

Real nice pic Tate, the thing is, i didnt even remember i took this photo as i was already running on a high fever then. The fever helped though i think haha, as i was to groggy to feel any pressure from the cameras as i run out the last rack.

Anyway once again thank you all for the kind words and prayers.

Bgrds
Raist Chin

I just visited Raist today. He is now in a hospice. The poison from his left leg is threatening to spread and it will be very bad if it gets to his heart. Raist told me the next few days will be critical for him.

He is a shadow of his former self and cannot take food except for occasional sip of honey.

I feel sad that a young man in his prime is face with this calamity. Yet, with all that he is going through, he is donating the proceeds of the sales of his cues to charity. That's truly a fine gesture from a person facing grave challenges.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Thanks, UrackmIcrackm. I knew him for several years before he passed away - strictly online. We e-mailed back and forth. He was a refreshingly honest individual.

I know that we always say nice things about people who passed away, but Raist was truly a remarkable and admirable young man. I am humbled by him, and saddened that we lost him.

Chris

Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Raist

Thanks, UrackmIcrackm. I knew him for several years before he passed away - strictly online. We e-mailed back and forth. He was a refreshingly honest individual.

I know that we always say nice things about people who passed away, but Raist was truly a remarkable and admirable young man. I am humbled by him, and saddened that we lost him.

Chris

Chris,

I was somewhat new to AZ when you posted the first thread about his story, along with his picture. I must say that your thread left an indelible impression on me. Both for Raist and his courage, but also for the remarkable friendship that showed through in the thread by you for Raist.

I wish I had known him, if only by the internet. He was certainly a courageous young man that loved pool thoroughly. And I am sure he appreciated you.

Thanks again for both of your posts.

Will Prout

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Chris,

I was somewhat new to AZ when you posted the first thread about his story, along with his picture. I must say that your thread left an indelible impression on me. Both for Raist and his courage, but also for the remarkable friendship that showed through in the thread by you for Raist.

I wish I had known him, if only by the internet. He was certainly a courageous young man that loved pool thoroughly. And I am sure he appreciated you.

Thanks again for both of your posts.

Will Prout

Hi Will,

Thanks for the nice words. I know you would have loved him.

For one, he was a real hardcore cue lover - especially the classics, the old school stuff, especially anything made from a Titlist. I don't think he had much money, but whatever he did have, he spent on cues.

I always thought he was an older guy - because he was so old school. He was very upfront about his situation. I knew he was sick, and he had told me there was little hope. He was selling his things to prepare for the worst.

He never once told me the story of the championship, or of his age. But he did talk about his illness. Even then, I suspect he was suffering as no human should have to endure. He was extremely humble. He chose to keep his legs, to be able to play pool, but it ended his life sooner.

Wow. Let's pray that we never have to face that choice...

Will, did I ever tell you that I have a 1970 Mach 1 428 SCJ? I bought it in the 1980's from the original owner in Santa Monica. My brother and I are going to have it restored - but it's a prime car to start with, shaker scoop, 3.91 posi rear end, factory oil cooler, C6 automatic, all matching numbers.

We're not in any hurry, but I was always a muscle car nut.

see you,

Chris

Last edited: