Stolen league money

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m surprised most LOs do not register a separate business entity to conduct league business. This would protect everyone’s interest.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m surprised most LOs do not register a separate business entity to conduct league business. This would protect everyone’s interest.
How does that keep the money from disappearing if the crooks get to the carry-away safe? How would it have helped in the OP's case?

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My guess is that most at least maintain an league bank account.
Some simply track the balance within an existing balance; easy enough considering all teams input the same amount each week.
I know of at least one that operates out of a safety deposit box at the bank.

Everything beats the shoe box with a lock at the house...

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does that keep the money from disappearing if the crooks get to the carry-away safe? How would it have helped in the OP's case?

If the LO had business insurance covering theft then the story could have a better ending.

Also, without registering as a business the LO is exposing his/her personal assets to lawsuits and claims.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
First ...ring.com. $250 for a HD camera.

Second ....get a safe (gun safe) that can’t just be carried away

Third....be a legitimate business and have a bank account to put the money in.

Fourth....pay the money to the league out by whatever means you can cause it’s still the LO responsibility. That means get a loan, sell your car, whatever you need to do.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the LO had business insurance covering theft then the story could have a better ending.

Also, without registering as a business the LO is exposing his/her personal assets to lawsuits and claims.

Insurance is going to default if/when a business owner maintains months worth of collected funds unsecured at ones house.

If/when a business or LO maintains months worth of collected funds unsecured at ones house... his/her personal assets should be exposed.

Even if the funds were maintained in a perfectly secured / bolted down / heavy as a car safe... a ugly robbery could still result in a loss...

Meanwhile, banks are insured.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I simply don't see an issue if the LO "rectified the situation"; might be a challenge for some with Vegas a week away though.

Some leagues prizes include the pre-paid trip to nationals (now World), while other simply payout cash. With payout so close to the Vegas start, winning player would have had to register, book flights and hotel out of pocket.
This also should not be the case; the LO ran the league too long and should have paid out weeks or a month ago. Even TBA slots in the tournament ended on 7/6.

My guess that the LO may have ignored the email from BCA about start/stop periods for leagues and sanctions.

With the Nationals changing dates now for.the second time in a decade, it is almost impossible for leagues to maintain a yearly schedule such that the payouts are timed to coincide with the Nationals. I do not see any problem requiring league players to pay for entries/travel with their own money and receive league payouts later.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Us’ns up here call a carry-away safe a cash box...and you can pick that lock with a hair pin.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
With the Nationals changing dates now for.the second time in a decade, it is almost impossible for leagues to maintain a yearly schedule such that the payouts are timed to coincide with the Nationals. I do not see any problem requiring league players to pay for entries/travel with their own money and receive league payouts later.

LO: "Whoops!! The league money got stolen from my house last night.. Sorry you already put out 2K of your own money to go to Vegas, and won't get any of that back.... That sucks for you!" (But at least it was "convenient" for me!)

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense KD, but you are nuts:):):)

CSI won’t do shit. Does the WPA do anything when Barry stiffs the players year after year? No. They only make stupid press releases. How about when the Phillipino promoter in 2008 or so stiffed the payout of the WPA sanctioned world championship, that Efren and Busty boycotted before hand, because they knew the promoter was a bum? Or how about Mackey stiffing all the players for a years worth of tournaments.

Bottom line: Regardless of who is the “regulating body”, they have never done shit when someone steals or donkeys off the cash.

That's not entirely true. APA will make good with the members then get it from the LO.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy-E said he'd look into posting a copy of the police report, if he found one, as I recall.

I’ve seen the initial form that was provided when the police responded. Not much detail. I’ve called the police department twice to get more info, both times I hung up after 10 rings. I’ll try again.

Tiddler

AzB Silver Haired Member
Silver Member
Go to Court

If the LO owes you enough money that you want it then take him to smail claims court (be sure to charge him for every stamp, envelope and mile you drive in taking to court) and get a judgement against him. If he doesn't pay then put a lien on any assets he has like his home. It may take a while, but he can't sell his house without paying the judgement first.