Reload this Page SJM Slant on the 2018 Mosconi Cup
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
SJM Slant on the 2018 Mosconi Cup
Old
  (#1)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

SJM Slant on the 2018 Mosconi Cup - 12-07-2018, 05:11 PM

MY FULL ACCOUNT OF THE 2018 MOSCONI CUP APPEARS IN POST 29 OF THIS THREAD

I just got back from the Alexandra Palace and, yes, i’m plenty excited after a great win. I’ve got a few more days in London and won’t post my thoughts on the cup until I get back to New York, but I took some notes at the event and will share my views on this wonderful victory soon, just in case the buzz hasn’t died down by next week, LOL.

Sat next to Pat Fleming tonight, and we agreed that Woodward vs Ouschan in Match 16 was the greatest Mosconi Cup match we’d ever seen, and yes, Pat and I have seen more than a few Mosconi matches.

Ok, will catch up soon.

Last edited by sjm; 12-11-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Old
  (#2)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member
Cardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-07-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
I just got back from the Alexandra Palace and, yes, iím plenty excited after a great win. Iíve got a few more days in London and wonít post my thoughts on the cup until I get back to New York, but I took some notes at the event and will share my views on this wonderful victory soon, just in case the buzz hasnít died down by next week, LOL.

Sat next to Pat Fleming tonight, and we agreed that Woodward vs Ouschan in Match 16 was the greatest Mosconi Cup match weíd ever seen, and yes, Pat and I have seen more than a few Mosconi matches.

Ok, will catch up soon.
I saw you a few times on the stream, Stu. Can't wait to hear your breakdown and man-on-the-street reporting.
The vibe must have been electric. Truly an inspirational 4 days.

Old
  (#3)
Kris_b1104
House Pro in my own home.
Kris_b1104 has a reputation beyond reputeKris_b1104 has a reputation beyond reputeKris_b1104 has a reputation beyond reputeKris_b1104 has a reputation beyond reputeKris_b1104 has a reputation beyond reputeKris_b1104 has a reputation beyond reputeKris_b1104 has a reputation beyond reputeKris_b1104 has a reputation beyond reputeKris_b1104 has a reputation beyond reputeKris_b1104 has a reputation beyond reputeKris_b1104 has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I just got back from the Alexandra Palace and, yes, iím plenty excited after a great win. Iíve got a few more days in London and wonít post my thoughts on the cup until I get back to New York, but I took some notes at the event and will share my views on this wonderful victory soon, just in case the buzz hasnít died down by next week, LOL.

Sat next to Pat Fleming tonight, and we agreed that Woodward vs Ouschan in Match 16 was the greatest Mosconi Cup match weíd ever seen, and yes, Pat and I have seen more than a few Mosconi matches.

Ok, will catch up soon.
What about Mark Gray vs. John Schmidt? Break and run every single rack.

Old
  (#4)
Cuebuddy
Mini cues
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-07-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Ok, will catch up soon.
Hearing SJM's perspective of the event is second only to watching the cup itself. I will be looking forward to it

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#5)
JAM
USA, ALL THE WAY!
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

12-08-2018, 01:03 AM

Looking forward to hearing all the nitty-gritty details. Yay!

Old
  (#6)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

12-08-2018, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_b1104 View Post
What about Mark Gray vs. John Schmidt? Break and run every single rack.
Actually, the Schmidt vs Gray match was perfect up to 3-3 and each player missed in rack seven, which led to Schmidt winning a rack on Gray’s break. He then broke and ran for a 5-3 win. You can find a full account of this match rack by rack in the thread about the 2014 Mosconi Cup, which I reviewed prior to this post.

Still, even if it had been perfect, I still would not have given it the nod. As we so often discuss here on the forum, the size of the moment is a key figure in placing a match in historical perspective. With the US leading 9-6, Chamat predictably opened Friday’s play with Ouschan, who had been his best player through the first three days by a lot. Ouschan played superbly, breaking and running his first four times. At double hill, his kick safe was a thing of beauty and it really put Skyler to the test. Everyone there reckoned that Ouschan had just sealed the match and the Europeans were going crazy. With Shaw on deck, they all sensed things would sit at 9-8 very soon. Skyler’s jump and subsequent runout pulled the rug out from Ouschan and Team Europe at an absolutely.critical juncture of the Mosconi.

With wins in singles over Shaw and Ouschan, Woodward was the one who took the air out of Team Europe and the Ouschan match offered the most electrifying moment for Team USA in nine years.

Schmidt vs Gray on 12/1/14, the third match of that Mosconi Cup, was great, but Woodward vs Ouschan was better, chiefly because of the size of the moment.

Skyler was the story of this Mosconi Cup for sure. What a magnificent performance!

From my vantage point, this was practically a knockout punch delivered at a most critical moment. I’ll never forget it. Neither will Skyler.

Last edited by sjm; 12-08-2018 at 03:14 AM.

Old
  (#7)
Mkbtank
AzB Silver Member
Mkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2018, 05:09 AM

I was happy to see you in the audience Stu and look forward to your report! I agree completely regarding this match win by Skyler. Albin never missed a ball that he shot at... and was still beaten. Has to be the biggest single game jump/runout win of Skyís life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory in DC View Post

I'm afraid that you're too laid back for my online enemy. You'll have to get a lot jerkier or I'll have to keep looking elsewhere.

Old
  (#8)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Ok, will catch up soon.
really looking forward to your full report, Stu.

Safe travels.

best,
brian kc

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Old
  (#9)
justadub
Rattling corners nightly
justadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

12-08-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuebuddy View Post
Hearing SJM's perspective of the event is second only to watching the cup itself. I will be looking forward to it
Agreed

Player: McDermott G203
Break: J & J 2729

"Let's all pile into the sandbagging wahmbulance and talk about it forever and hold each other until the tears dry!" CreeDo

"Just remember to put the troll back under the bridge when you're done playing with him, Dub!" BrokeStroke

Old
  (#10)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

12-08-2018, 12:24 PM

Had Woodward lost that match, 10-10 was a huge possibility .
That jump shot was the shot of the event.

Old
  (#11)
Nostroke
AzB Gold Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
12-08-2018, 12:37 PM

Be interesting to hear how our players who cant "conceptualize" or execute shots efficiently and only one of whom would make the top 10 of the Euro Tour could beat these superior players with superior conceptualization and execution caapability.

Last edited by Nostroke; 12-08-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Old
  (#12)
vjmehra
AzB Silver Member
vjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke View Post
Be interesting to hear how our players who cant "conceptualize" or execute shots efficiently and only one of whom would make the top 10 of the Euro Tour could beat these superior players with superior conceptualization and execution caapability.
1) Styer was a great pick and played well
2) SVB actually turned up
3) Europe in general were below par
4) Kazakis was awful

If any one of the above hadn't occurred Europe would have won, however they all did and USA played better, fully deserving the win. That doesn't, however mean that all the issues people called out previously were invalid. The Europeans (in general) had (and continue to have) better fundamentals, which in recent times has worked out better for them. However with a bit of confidence in the US players, who knows what can now happen...if SVB for example plays closer to his singles form then future cups could be a lot closer (the perfect scenario is of course that the home team is always a small favourite and it goes all the way to the end of the 4th day every year, pretty much like this year).

Oh and the actual answer to your question is probably the coach...given that he was unbeaten as European coach and has turned around a side barely able to register a point into champions suggests he has had a huge influence!

Old
  (#13)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
1) Styer was a great pick and played well
2) SVB actually turned up
3) Europe in general were below par
4) Kazakis was awful

If any one of the above hadn't occurred Europe would have won, however they all did
This is PURE SPECULATION and NONSENSE!

Not every outcome or future action is predicated on a previous event.

What if the Americans had broke and ran EVERY rack in every match?

What if all the Europeans had played a safe on EVERY shot until finally the Americans succumbed and fell asleep, at which point the Europeans raked in all the balls and proclaimed to be the winners?

What if Willie Mosconi reappeared from the grave and jumped up and said, "this ain't 14.1 and proceeded to run 14,000 balls in front of the crowd and then jumped up in the middle of the table and screamed out, "I'm the GREATEST OF ALL TIME"?

There are too many "what ifs". We can "what if" forever and nobody knows truly what would have happened.

We know the outcome, so that is what stands.

Old
  (#14)
S.Vaskovskyi
AzB Silver Member
S.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Still, even if it had been perfect, I still would not have given it the nod. As we so often discuss here on the forum, the size of the moment is a key figure in placing a match in historical perspective. With the US leading 9-6, Chamat predictably opened Fridayís play with Ouschan, who had been his best player through the first three days by a lot. Ouschan played superbly, breaking and running his first four times. At double hill, his kick safe was a thing of beauty and it really put Skyler to the test. Everyone there reckoned that Ouschan had just sealed the match and the Europeans were going crazy. With Shaw on deck, they all sensed things would sit at 9-8 very soon. Skylerís jump and subsequent runout pulled the rug out from Ouschan and Team Europe at an absolutely.critical juncture of the Mosconi.

With wins in singles over Shaw and Ouschan, Woodward was the one who took the air out of Team Europe and the Ouschan match offered the most electrifying moment for Team USA in nine years.

Schmidt vs Gray on 12/1/14, the third match of that Mosconi Cup, was great, but Woodward vs Ouschan was better, chiefly because of the size of the moment.

Skyler was the story of this Mosconi Cup for sure. What a magnificent performance!

From my vantage point, this was practically a knockout punch delivered at a most critical moment. Iíll never forget it. Neither will Skyler.
Absolutely agreed...those two points achieved by Skyler were the key and most valuable for team USA victory at the end. This year's Mosconi cup was remarkable and may be the best I've seen in many ways. Finally it was a real battle with intrugue and such atmosphere, emotions, pressure etc. till the very end...all that makes it a great show for the audience. This was really a historical moment and all that happened is just great for the game and its future. There is so much to say... I told just before the MC start after USA team won their warm-up match that american fans should have more belief in their team because everybody on the team together with Johan and Jeremy did a great job. So this victory of team USA is absolutely deserved and I was really happy for them. It was a great fight and show which finally I was able to watch in great quality free on FB Mosconi cup page unlike the previous years when it was more complicated to find good possibility to watch it on SKY sport. So also big thanks to Matchroom for all they're doing for the game.

Playing cue: 62" full spliced player I''ve built for myself
Break cue: made by myself

"Live and learn...and have fun"

Old
  (#15)
Low500
Banned
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
This is PURE SPECULATION and NONSENSE!
Not every outcome or future action is predicated on a previous event.
What if the Americans had broke and ran EVERY rack in every match?
What if all the Europeans had played a safe on EVERY shot until finally the Americans succumbed and fell asleep, at which point the Europeans raked in all the balls and proclaimed to be the winners?
What if Willie Mosconi reappeared from the grave and jumped up and said, "this ain't 14.1 and proceeded to run 14,000 balls in front of the crowd and then jumped up in the middle of the table and screamed out, "I'm the GREATEST OF ALL TIME"?
There are too many "what ifs". We can "what if" forever and nobody knows truly what would have happened.
We know the outcome, so that is what stands.
Stop with the being so confounded realistic........don't you know this is fantasyland?

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: