3/8"-8 Tap

tomchiang

I have a Wes Hunter custom cue, this cues joint pin specification is 3/8"-8, but I can't find this specification tap in all pool cue parts suppliers, can someone give me a suggestion?
thanks!
Tom

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I have a Wes Hunter custom cue, this cues joint pin specification is 3/8"-8, but I can't find this specification tap in all pool cue parts suppliers, can someone give me a suggestion?
thanks!
Tom

Post a photo of the pin, and contact Wes Hunter

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks!
Tom

Mr. Hunters joint screw is very specific to his cues. It is not a radial, it is his and his alone. The best thing to do is contact him.

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wes Hunter

Hello Tim.
I'm Alton
Nice to meet you.
I am not cue maker..
I used to make Black Delrin JP's for Wes Hunter.
Alamogordo for you UFO guys :)

Wes gave me one of his Joint Screws and I sent that Joint Screw as a sample, to ordered/purchase a custom made Tap and Adjustable Split Die to make the JP's..

I stop making those Delrin JP's in the early 2000's.
<><><><>
You might try looking in "The MACHINIST HANDBOOK".
Under Screw Threads.
<><><><>
In Cues.. A Standard Thread might be modified ( in some way) to become "Proprietary" or, different, as desired by that cuemaker.

SpotOn

Registered
There are two types available on Ebay. Acme and Asian 3/8-8 taps. I bought the Asian version for my cue made in the Philippines. I don't know what the difference is OR which one you would need. They run $40ea.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
There are two types available on Ebay. Acme and Asian 3/8-8 taps. I bought the Asian version for my cue made in the Philippines. I don't know what the difference is OR which one you would need. They run $40ea.

Radial and fake radial?

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Modified "V" Thread

1st..
No disrespect to anyone. :smile:

The Joint Screw is a Modified Flat Bottom 60* V Thread.
It is closer to the Wood Screw Thread Family, than the other Thread configuations.
ACME has 28* include angle threads.
Some of Bill Stroud's early cues had 5/16" x 14 ACME.

Wes' Threads are 60* flat top, Flat bottom shank (Minor Diameter).
3/8" (.375") nominal, with a .29-" Minor Diameter. ( Tom, you can measure the shank of your cue's pin for the last digit. ;), so, I do not disclose Wes' Screw Specs.
Or, P.M. me.. As, it is not for me to disclose Wes' Pin details.
I will tell you the measument across the Flat of the tip of the Thread.
It is best not to tell Wes' Screw Specs on an open forum, and, it is his Proprietary Joint Screw. :)

Attachments

• Hunter Joint Screw s.jpg
    Hunter Joint Screw s.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I guess so. My comment was an observation not a criticism. By all reports Mr. Hunter does indeed make a hell of a cue. He was way ahead of his time making his product Revo proof.

JC

If the thread gearbox in the metal lathe has the thread number, it's not Revo proof.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess so. My comment was an observation not a criticism. By all reports Mr. Hunter does indeed make a hell of a cue. He was way ahead of his time making his product Revo proof.

JC

Yes Sir:
He's pretty good,

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
thanks!
Tom

Tom, is there a reason you dont have Wes Hunter work on the cue?
You must have thought the the quality of his work was worth the money when you purchased the cue.

Cue makers will tell you their custom joint pin will hit better than standard pins but it is all smoke and mirrors.
Truth is they want to make it difficult for other cue makers to work on their cue.
Also cue makers need to have something they can say makes their cue hit and play different (and better) than other custom pool cues.

Last edited:

baji314

14.1 trainee
Silver Member
1st..
No disrespect to anyone. :smile:

The Joint Screw is a Modified Flat Bottom 60* V Thread.
It is closer to the Wood Screw Thread Family, than the other Thread configuations.
ACME has 28* include angle threads.
Some of Bill Stroud's early cues had 5/16" x 14 ACME.

Wes' Threads are 60* flat top, Flat bottom shank (Minor Diameter).
3/8" (.375") nominal, with a .29-" Minor Diameter. ( Tom, you can measure the shank of your cue's pin for the last digit. ;), so, I do not disclose Wes' Screw Specs.
Or, P.M. me.. As, it is not for me to disclose Wes' Pin details.
I will tell you the measument across the Flat of the tip of the Thread.
It is best not to tell Wes' Screw Specs on an open forum, and, it is his Proprietary Joint Screw. :)

That almost looks like the joint on my Edwin Reyes Cue.

Sorry OP. Not pirating your thread. I just got excited