Reload this Page CTE Aiming and the GhostBall...to Spider
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
CTE Aiming and the GhostBall...to Spider
Old
  (#1)
Low500
Banned
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

CTE Aiming and the GhostBall...to Spider - 06-19-2019, 07:26 AM

Spiderman,
Let's talk about something here that has intrigued me for a long time. It concerns arriving at the proper "ghost ball" location to pocket the ball.
I have never been able to "see" a ghost ball down there next to the object ball inline to the pocket. I've done as the experts said do, place another object ball next to the object ball to be pocketed in a line to the pocket. Remove the extra object ball and practice visualizing it still being there and send the cueball to it and you will make many shots.
I, in 50 years of playing, was lousy at visualizing an invisible ball down there. So I looked around for other ways to accomplish putting the cueball into that required ghost ball location. The Mosconi fraction concepts always made me hit the cuts too thick, same with contact point stuff. I'm not mentally quick enough to utilize the Poolology method because I cannot calculate math that quickly. I know it works for a lot of people who are very smart with math (which I am not).
So I ended up using CTE.....which did everything in a precise repeatable manner to send that cue ball absolutely down the table or across the table to that ghost ball location.
Isn't that what ALL AIMING METHODS wind up doing? Sending the cueball to that invisible "ghost ball" location?? After all, if the cueball doesn't arrive at that ghostball location then the ball will not be pocketed cleanly...right?
So our discussions here in the past have really all been about what METHOD we will use to ARRIVE AT THAT GHOST BALL LOCATION in the most dependable and efficient manner. Am I correct on that?
Isn't that all ANY method of aiming or alignment (CTE, ghost ball, Poolology, contact points, etc. etc.) tries to really do after we cut through all the likes, dislikes, personalities, and stuff?
What is your opinion on these observations of mine ?
Regards,
Lowenstein
(other comments from other players are welcome, this isn't some kind of "secret" thread just for Spider)

Old
  (#2)
SpiderWebComm
HelpImBeingOppressed
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

06-19-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
Spiderman,
Let's talk about something here that has intrigued me for a long time. It concerns arriving at the proper "ghost ball" location to pocket the ball.
I have never been able to "see" a ghost ball down there next to the object ball inline to the pocket. I've done as the experts said do, place another object ball next to the object ball to be pocketed in a line to the pocket. Remove the extra object ball and practice visualizing it still being there and send the cueball to it and you will make many shots.
I, in 50 years of playing, was lousy at visualizing an invisible ball down there. So I looked around for other ways to accomplish putting the cueball into that required ghost ball location. The Mosconi fraction concepts always made me hit the cuts too thick, same with contact point stuff. I'm not mentally quick enough to utilize the Poolology method because I cannot calculate math that quickly. I know it works for a lot of people who are very smart with math (which I am not).
So I ended up using CTE.....which did everything in a precise repeatable manner to send that cue ball absolutely down the table or across the table to that ghost ball location.
Isn't that what ALL AIMING METHODS wind up doing? Sending the cueball to that invisible "ghost ball" location?? After all, if the cueball doesn't arrive at that ghostball location then the ball will not be pocketed cleanly...right?
So our discussions here in the past have really all been about what METHOD we will use to ARRIVE AT THAT GHOST BALL LOCATION in the most dependable and efficient manner. Am I correct on that?
Isn't that all ANY method of aiming or alignment (CTE, ghost ball, Poolology, contact points, etc. etc.) tries to really do after we cut through all the likes, dislikes, personalities, and stuff?
What is your opinion on these observations of mine ?
Regards,
Lowenstein
(other comments from other players are welcome, this isn't some kind of "secret" thread just for Spider)
The way Ghost Ball is taught with the imagination doing the work to visualize an imaginary ball in space next to the OB was never, and I mean NEVER for me.

When I started playing and for a long time I used contact points with pretty fair success after a number of years. Whether it's contact points or fractions it's still too tough linking either CCB to a spot or an equal and opposite imaginary spot to the two balls, especially when the equal and opposite spot on the CB can't be seen.

For me, nothing is easier to see than the edge of the white CB on any color OB.

CTE's minimal alignment points make it even more simple.

That having been said, if somebody prefers contact points or fractions, I don't know why the edges of the CB aren't taught or used all across the face of the OB.
Visually it just makes sense.

Please don't make me think and work so hard on more posts today. I'm exhausted.

Viffer: The Movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JFIy2ebJIE

Old
  (#3)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderWebComm View Post

...For me, nothing is easier to see than the edge of the white CB on any color OB.

CTE's minimal alignment points make it even more simple.

That having been said, if somebody prefers contact points or fractions, I don't know why the edges of the CB aren't taught or used all across the face of the OB.
Visually it just makes sense....
^^^^^^^^^^^ Interesting.

Old
  (#4)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-19-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
...if somebody prefers contact points or fractions, I don't know why the edges of the CB aren't taught or used all across the face of the OB.
Visually it just makes sense.
I don't get what you mean by "the edges of the CB used all across the face of the OB". Do you mean figure exactly where on the face of the OB the CB edge should be aimed for every shot?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#5)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
I don't get what you mean by "the edges of the CB used all across the face of the OB". Do you mean figure exactly where on the face of the OB the CB edge should be aimed for every shot?

pj
chgo
Yes, Instead of aiming the CCB off of the OB, the Edge on the inside of the angle is used all across the entire OB even when the CB center can be aligned onto the OB.

CJ Wiley taught the OB center or edge aligned to the fractional cuts on the CB.

Last edited by ENGLISH!; 06-19-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Old
  (#6)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGLISH! View Post
Yes, Instead of aiming the CCB off of the OB the Edge on the inside of the angle is used all across the OB even when the CB center can be aligned on the OB.

CJ Wiley taught the OB center or edge aligned to the fractional cuts on the CB.
Thanks, but I was wondering what Spidey meant (didn't sound like that well known idea).

pj
chgo

Old
  (#7)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but I was wondering what Spidey meant (didn't sound like that well known idea).

pj
chgo
It was a general statement. Pretty much meant the CB edge should always be included in any aiming method

Old
  (#8)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

06-19-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie man View Post
It was a general statement. Pretty much meant the CB edge should always be included in any aiming method
Thanks to you too, but I'd still like to hear what Spidey says Spidey meant.

pj <- not a trap, Spidey...
chgo

Old
  (#9)
SpiderWebComm
HelpImBeingOppressed
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:

pj
chgo
What the hell do you think I meant? How many variations could there be?

ENGLISH got what I meant right off the bat in his post #5.

"Yes, Instead of aiming the CCB off of the OB, the Edge on the inside of the angle is used all across the entire OB ."

Picture a full lunar eclipse with the edge of the shadow moving across the entire face of the moon from it's edge to edge, brainiac.

The next time there's a lunar eclipse, watch it. Don't forget to use the Lizard Head move to make sure the shadow is where it is and where it's supposed to be.

Last edited by SpiderWebComm; 06-19-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Old
  (#10)
sfleinen
14.1 & One Pocket Addict
sfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-19-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
What the hell do you think I meant? How many variations could there be?

ENGLISH got what I meant right off the bat in his post #5.

"Yes, Instead of aiming the CCB off of the OB, the Edge on the inside of the angle is used all across the entire OB ."

Picture a full lunar eclipse with the edge of the shadow moving across the entire face of the moon from it's edge to edge, brainiac.

The next time there's a lunar eclipse, watch it. Don't forget to use the Lizard Head move to make sure the shadow is where it is and where it's supposed to be.
This dynamic between you two is freakin' hilarious! "Lizard head move." <chuckles>

Alas, even with his understanding, from the occasional quotes I get to see, ENGLISH is still the Cliff Clavin of these boards.
Attached Images

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." -Isaac Asimov

"They haven't got brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake, and they don't think." -Eeyore, The House at Pooh Corner

Old
  (#11)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

06-19-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
What the hell do you think I meant?
lol

Try not to have an aneurysm over it. Sorry I woke you, but you were drooling into your keyboard.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#12)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 08:16 PM

Careful. Y'all are on the verge of giving away (for free) the world's best kept secret.

BOXCAR

Old
  (#13)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

06-19-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
Careful. Y'all are on the verge of giving away (for free) the world's best kept secret.

BOXCAR
Too late.
It's already on youtube.
https://youtu.be/oqkYHRTeMZ0?t=1452

Old
  (#14)
GaryB
AzB Silver Member
GaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2019, 02:06 AM

Before Hal developed CTE he taught Fractions. This was in the 90's when he was still living in So. Calif. CTE was an extension of that that he developed while in Burlingame but mostly in PA.

The thing that was a difficult for me was to make a 6 1/2 mm adjustment (1/2 a tip) while moving down into a shot. Pretty darn slim of a margin for error and being in my 80's with bad eyesight a very hard thing to do.

I remember when Hal worked with me one afternoon on Fractions he also slightly adjusted my alignment. I could hardly miss a ball for over 3 weeks. But then I took a 30 day vacation to Germany and when I got back I never got dialed in as well and he had moved to No. Calif.

We should all experiment with things that we pick up on here and they will either help us or not. If not, we should not reject out of hand the possibility that the same thing has helped someone else and should always do so in a courteous manner. Hal was not a world class player but he understood the spatial movement of "Colliding Spheres."

Old
  (#15)
SpiderWebComm
HelpImBeingOppressed

06-20-2019, 03:08 AM

Quote:
lol

Try not to have an aneurysm over it. Sorry I woke you, but you were drooling into your keyboard.

pj
chgo
As old and feeble as you now are, snot is dripping from your nose into the keyboard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: