Ecostraw
Old
  (#1)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Ecostraw - 09-14-2019, 08:34 AM

Sitting with a friend at a local watering hole.

Yesterday she was at a place that had plastic straws wrapped in paper. They also had "ecostraws" if you preferred. They were paper straws wrapped in plastic.

Brilliant.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#2)
WGDave
AzB Silver Member
WGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond repute

09-14-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post

Yesterday she was at a place that had plastic straws wrapped in paper. They also had "ecostraws" if you preferred. They were paper straws wrapped in plastic.

Brilliant.

They have a plant based plastic, or "corn plastic".

What is Ingeo™

<p>PLA or "corn plastic" is a biopolymer made from polylactide (PLA) that can be derived from starchy plants like corn, potatoes, tapioca, sugarcane, and soy protein. In the U.S., PLA is typically made from corn kernels that are milled and processed to extract the simple sugar dextrose.</p>

<p>These biopolymers perform like plastic, but are made from annually renewable resources like corn plants. PLA offers the cost and performance necessary to compete with traditional petroleum-based materials, but with the crucial benefit of being commercially compostable.</p>

<p>At its simplest level, dextrose is a carbohydrate made of the organic molecules carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen and is a byproduct of photosynthesis. Large fermenters then process the dextrose. Fermentation is an amazing metabolic process that has been well-known for thousands of years in the making of beers, wines, cheeses and teas. It is used here in an industrial capacity to break down dextrose into byproducts like lactic acid which are ultimately converted into long polymer chains.</p>

These straws are only good for cold drinks.

Not sure if your friend had to choose from this material.

In order to continue advancing their illogical arguments modern liberals have to pretend not to know things…

Old
  (#3)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

09-14-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGDave View Post
They have a plant based plastic, or "corn plastic".

What is Ingeo™

<p>PLA or "corn plastic" is a biopolymer made from polylactide (PLA) that can be derived from starchy plants like corn, potatoes, tapioca, sugarcane, and soy protein. In the U.S., PLA is typically made from corn kernels that are milled and processed to extract the simple sugar dextrose.</p>

<p>These biopolymers perform like plastic, but are made from annually renewable resources like corn plants. PLA offers the cost and performance necessary to compete with traditional petroleum-based materials, but with the crucial benefit of being commercially compostable.</p>

<p>At its simplest level, dextrose is a carbohydrate made of the organic molecules carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen and is a byproduct of photosynthesis. Large fermenters then process the dextrose. Fermentation is an amazing metabolic process that has been well-known for thousands of years in the making of beers, wines, cheeses and teas. It is used here in an industrial capacity to break down dextrose into byproducts like lactic acid which are ultimately converted into long polymer chains.</p>

These straws are only good for cold drinks.

Not sure if your friend had to choose from this material.
Ah.

So what's wrong with a paper wrapper?

Also can be made from veg, need not be trees.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#4)
megatron69
AzB Silver Member
megatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond repute

09-14-2019, 01:46 PM

Recently i was at a restaurant, can't remember exactly where, and they were providing bamboo straws, made from recycled bamboo fibers. About as tough, yet pliant as plastic. A little thicker wall, and a slight 'bamboo' taste at first that went away after one or two sips.

Old
  (#5)
Slide Rule
NPR Commies Garbage Skum
Slide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2019, 04:44 AM

Franklin Ice Cream

They in olden times served normal straws in a normal manner.

The fun was taking the end of the straw paper and twisting it
closed. The paper made a fine projectile. If it was a young
group, straws would be flying.

Old
  (#6)
jimmyco
NRA4Life
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide Rule View Post
Franklin Ice Cream

They in olden times served normal straws in a normal manner.

The fun was taking the end of the straw paper and twisting it
closed. The paper made a fine projectile. If it was a young
group, straws would be flying.

Good times.

We did that every day in grade school. Our milk was served in reusable glass bottles.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#7)
Alan
AzB Silver Member
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2019, 10:31 AM

I'll stick with the non-flavored plastic ones. My Dr. Pepper tastes just fine with a plastic straw, especially when I drink it with a cheeseburger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron69 View Post
Recently i was at a restaurant, can't remember exactly where, and they were providing bamboo straws, made from recycled bamboo fibers. About as tough, yet pliant as plastic. A little thicker wall, and a slight 'bamboo' taste at first that went away after one or two sips.

Old
  (#8)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Brilliant.

The other day I got a super size drink in a big plastic cup. A plastic lid and a paper straw. It felt good to do my part...

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Old
  (#9)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

09-15-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack View Post
The other day I got a super size drink in a big plastic cup. A plastic lid and a paper straw. It felt good to do my part...
Right.

I can't find it now but I saw a report somewhere that demonstrated that the fossil fuels and/or nonrenewable energy and materials used in the development, production, and distribution of the paper straws is actually about equivalent to the plastic. The end product itself seems so different but the actual difference is negligible.

Don't remember where I saw that nor do I know the veracity. Interesting notion though.

Do they have paper straws on those private jets the celebrity eco-freaks fly on?

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#10)
memikey
Never Has Been
memikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-16-2019, 06:48 AM

Ever since MacGyver had 10 minutes to cobble together a nuclear weapon jamming system or San Francisco was toast, it has been compulsory for all businesses to have a lockable storeroom with an old cardboard box containing a discarded electric plug, at least one plastic straw and a metal paper clip. I really don't see that law changing

Mike

Old
  (#11)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

09-16-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memikey View Post
Ever since MacGyver had 10 minutes to cobble together a nuclear weapon jamming system or San Francisco was toast, it has been compulsory for all businesses to have a lockable storeroom with an old cardboard box containing a discarded electric plug, at least one plastic straw and a metal paper clip. I really don't see that law changing
About 20 years ago I had a nurse call me because a patient's blood pressure was off. I went to the room, assessed the patient, and told the nurse the blood pressure was wrong. I asked how she took it. She pointed to the digital machine. She asked "how can it be wrong"?

I asked her to get me a mercury sphygmomanometer. She said they were banned so there were none. I said go search the closets.

She came back with one and I showed her how to take a proper blood pressure. Then I told he to go hide it again in case I needed it. It's probably there still...next to a plastic straw.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Last edited by Chopdoc; 09-16-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Old
  (#12)
Casual Observer
Viva... yeah whatever
Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

09-16-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Brilliant.

Sort of like buying a coal-fired powered electric car so as to save the environment.
Of course, none of this nonsense has anything to do with the environment . Rather, just more ways to convince Americans that THEY are the problem and, therefore, must submit to iron-fisted control by the most "moral" folks on the planet; folks like AOC and Ilhan Omar.
Sadly, as this cesspool of mindless liberal ignorance demonstrates on a daily basis, there are plenty of sheep just begging to be sheared.

"...And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw..."

Neil Peart

“...I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine...”
Atlas Shrugged

Old
  (#13)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

09-16-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Right.

I can't find it now but I saw a report somewhere that demonstrated that the fossil fuels and/or nonrenewable energy and materials used in the development, production, and distribution of the paper straws is actually about equivalent to the plastic. The end product itself seems so different but the actual difference is negligible.

Don't remember where I saw that nor do I know the veracity. Interesting notion though.

Do they have paper straws on those private jets the celebrity eco-freaks fly on?

And they can’t recycle the paper ones.

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Old
  (#14)
WGDave
AzB Silver Member
WGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond repute

09-16-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack View Post
And they can’t recycle the paper ones.
Think their concern is if the straws are biodegradable.

In order to continue advancing their illogical arguments modern liberals have to pretend not to know things…

Old
  (#15)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

09-16-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGDave View Post
Think their concern is if the straws are biodegradable.
Compostable.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: