Ecostraw
Old
  (#1)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute
 
Chopdoc's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 23,680
vCash: 500
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Palm Coast, Fl
   
Ecostraw - 09-14-2019, 08:34 AM

Sitting with a friend at a local watering hole.

Yesterday she was at a place that had plastic straws wrapped in paper. They also had "ecostraws" if you preferred. They were paper straws wrapped in plastic.

Brilliant.

.


Bury me with my JOSS....


"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
WGDave
AzB Silver Member
WGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond repute
 
WGDave's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 6,096
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Jose, CA
   
09-14-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Sitting with a friend at a local watering hole.

Yesterday she was at a place that had plastic straws wrapped in paper. They also had "ecostraws" if you preferred. They were paper straws wrapped in plastic.

Brilliant.

.
They have a plant based plastic, or "corn plastic".

What is Ingeo™

<p>PLA or "corn plastic" is a biopolymer made from polylactide (PLA) that can be derived from starchy plants like corn, potatoes, tapioca, sugarcane, and soy protein. In the U.S., PLA is typically made from corn kernels that are milled and processed to extract the simple sugar dextrose.</p>

<p>These biopolymers perform like plastic, but are made from annually renewable resources like corn plants. PLA offers the cost and performance necessary to compete with traditional petroleum-based materials, but with the crucial benefit of being commercially compostable.</p>

<p>At its simplest level, dextrose is a carbohydrate made of the organic molecules carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen and is a byproduct of photosynthesis. Large fermenters then process the dextrose. Fermentation is an amazing metabolic process that has been well-known for thousands of years in the making of beers, wines, cheeses and teas. It is used here in an industrial capacity to break down dextrose into byproducts like lactic acid which are ultimately converted into long polymer chains.</p>


These straws are only good for cold drinks.

Not sure if your friend had to choose from this material.




In order to continue advancing their illogical arguments modern liberals have to pretend not to know things…
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute
 
Chopdoc's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 23,680
vCash: 500
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Palm Coast, Fl
   
09-14-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGDave View Post
They have a plant based plastic, or "corn plastic".

What is Ingeo™

<p>PLA or "corn plastic" is a biopolymer made from polylactide (PLA) that can be derived from starchy plants like corn, potatoes, tapioca, sugarcane, and soy protein. In the U.S., PLA is typically made from corn kernels that are milled and processed to extract the simple sugar dextrose.</p>

<p>These biopolymers perform like plastic, but are made from annually renewable resources like corn plants. PLA offers the cost and performance necessary to compete with traditional petroleum-based materials, but with the crucial benefit of being commercially compostable.</p>

<p>At its simplest level, dextrose is a carbohydrate made of the organic molecules carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen and is a byproduct of photosynthesis. Large fermenters then process the dextrose. Fermentation is an amazing metabolic process that has been well-known for thousands of years in the making of beers, wines, cheeses and teas. It is used here in an industrial capacity to break down dextrose into byproducts like lactic acid which are ultimately converted into long polymer chains.</p>


These straws are only good for cold drinks.

Not sure if your friend had to choose from this material.
Ah.

So what's wrong with a paper wrapper?

Also can be made from veg, need not be trees.

.


Bury me with my JOSS....


"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
megatron69
AzB Silver Member
megatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Phoenix az
   
09-14-2019, 01:46 PM

Recently i was at a restaurant, can't remember exactly where, and they were providing bamboo straws, made from recycled bamboo fibers. About as tough, yet pliant as plastic. A little thicker wall, and a slight 'bamboo' taste at first that went away after one or two sips.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
Slide Rule
NPR Commies Garbage Skum
Slide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond repute
 
Slide Rule's Avatar
 
Status: Online
Posts: 80,170
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Peoples Republic of Amerika
   
09-15-2019, 04:44 AM

Franklin Ice Cream

They in olden times served normal straws in a normal manner.

The fun was taking the end of the straw paper and twisting it
closed. The paper made a fine projectile. If it was a young
group, straws would be flying.


  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
jimmyco
NRA4Life
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute
 
jimmyco's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,328
vCash: 500
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado
   
09-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide Rule View Post
Franklin Ice Cream

They in olden times served normal straws in a normal manner.

The fun was taking the end of the straw paper and twisting it
closed. The paper made a fine projectile. If it was a young
group, straws would be flying.


Good times.

We did that every day in grade school. Our milk was served in reusable glass bottles.


Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
Alan
AzB Silver Member
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,456
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Feb 2005
   
09-15-2019, 10:31 AM

I'll stick with the non-flavored plastic ones. My Dr. Pepper tastes just fine with a plastic straw, especially when I drink it with a cheeseburger.


Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron69 View Post
Recently i was at a restaurant, can't remember exactly where, and they were providing bamboo straws, made from recycled bamboo fibers. About as tough, yet pliant as plastic. A little thicker wall, and a slight 'bamboo' taste at first that went away after one or two sips.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute
 
sixpack's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 9,835
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CA
   
09-15-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Sitting with a friend at a local watering hole.

Yesterday she was at a place that had plastic straws wrapped in paper. They also had "ecostraws" if you preferred. They were paper straws wrapped in plastic.

Brilliant.

.
The other day I got a super size drink in a big plastic cup. A plastic lid and a paper straw. It felt good to do my part...


Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain
__________________
Email:
Playing Cues: Ernie Martinez, Schon
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute
 
Chopdoc's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 23,680
vCash: 500
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Palm Coast, Fl
   
09-15-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack View Post
The other day I got a super size drink in a big plastic cup. A plastic lid and a paper straw. It felt good to do my part...
Right.

I can't find it now but I saw a report somewhere that demonstrated that the fossil fuels and/or nonrenewable energy and materials used in the development, production, and distribution of the paper straws is actually about equivalent to the plastic. The end product itself seems so different but the actual difference is negligible.

Don't remember where I saw that nor do I know the veracity. Interesting notion though.

Do they have paper straws on those private jets the celebrity eco-freaks fly on?

.


Bury me with my JOSS....


"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
memikey
Never Has Been
memikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 20,261
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I'm lost.
   
09-16-2019, 06:48 AM

Ever since MacGyver had 10 minutes to cobble together a nuclear weapon jamming system or San Francisco was toast, it has been compulsory for all businesses to have a lockable storeroom with an old cardboard box containing a discarded electric plug, at least one plastic straw and a metal paper clip. I really don't see that law changing


Mike
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute
 
Chopdoc's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 23,680
vCash: 500
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Palm Coast, Fl
   
09-16-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memikey View Post
Ever since MacGyver had 10 minutes to cobble together a nuclear weapon jamming system or San Francisco was toast, it has been compulsory for all businesses to have a lockable storeroom with an old cardboard box containing a discarded electric plug, at least one plastic straw and a metal paper clip. I really don't see that law changing
About 20 years ago I had a nurse call me because a patient's blood pressure was off. I went to the room, assessed the patient, and told the nurse the blood pressure was wrong. I asked how she took it. She pointed to the digital machine. She asked "how can it be wrong"?

I asked her to get me a mercury sphygmomanometer. She said they were banned so there were none. I said go search the closets.

She came back with one and I showed her how to take a proper blood pressure. Then I told he to go hide it again in case I needed it. It's probably there still...next to a plastic straw.

.


Bury me with my JOSS....


"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Last edited by Chopdoc; 09-16-2019 at 08:35 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
Casual Observer
Viva... yeah whatever
Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute
 
Casual Observer's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 22,085
vCash: 4100
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2006
   
09-16-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Sitting with a friend at a local watering hole.

Yesterday she was at a place that had plastic straws wrapped in paper. They also had "ecostraws" if you preferred. They were paper straws wrapped in plastic.

Brilliant.

.
Sort of like buying a coal-fired powered electric car so as to save the environment.
Of course, none of this nonsense has anything to do with the environment . Rather, just more ways to convince Americans that THEY are the problem and, therefore, must submit to iron-fisted control by the most "moral" folks on the planet; folks like AOC and Ilhan Omar.
Sadly, as this cesspool of mindless liberal ignorance demonstrates on a daily basis, there are plenty of sheep just begging to be sheared.


"...And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw..."

Neil Peart

“...I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine...”
Atlas Shrugged
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute
 
sixpack's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 9,835
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CA
   
09-16-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Right.

I can't find it now but I saw a report somewhere that demonstrated that the fossil fuels and/or nonrenewable energy and materials used in the development, production, and distribution of the paper straws is actually about equivalent to the plastic. The end product itself seems so different but the actual difference is negligible.

Don't remember where I saw that nor do I know the veracity. Interesting notion though.

Do they have paper straws on those private jets the celebrity eco-freaks fly on?

.
And they can’t recycle the paper ones.


Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain
__________________
Email:
Playing Cues: Ernie Martinez, Schon
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
WGDave
AzB Silver Member
WGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond repute
 
WGDave's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 6,096
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Jose, CA
   
09-16-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack View Post
And they can’t recycle the paper ones.
Think their concern is if the straws are biodegradable.




In order to continue advancing their illogical arguments modern liberals have to pretend not to know things…
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute
 
Chopdoc's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 23,680
vCash: 500
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Palm Coast, Fl
   
09-16-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGDave View Post
Think their concern is if the straws are biodegradable.
Compostable.

.


Bury me with my JOSS....


"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.