Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Choosing a new/used table
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
JazzboxBlues
AzB Silver Member
JazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-23-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
For playability I think you're stuck with Valley or Diamond. If I were you I'd remain patient and keep waiting for the right deal. Maybe expand your search radius a bit, a few extra hours driving might really increase your options.

I agree. As far as 7 footers go a Diamond or Valley is your best choice. Me personally nothing but a Diamond in a 7 footer would do.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#17)
SBC
AzB Silver Member
SBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolguppy View Post
Went to Peter's billiards the other day to start shopping for a 7ft pool table (due to room size) and I wasnt super excited about anything I saw under 5k. Been looking at used tables from other dealers and finding some ok tables, but I want some opinions. I'm going for straight up best play for the buck. I would like to stay around 1k dollars. A nice looking american heritage 7ft just popped up for 200, would I be better off buying something like that and having high quality rubbers and simonis felt put on that vs buying say a decent used brunswick or connely or something? My brother snagged a used diamond 7ft for 2k but I'm not likely to find something like that, been watching local online sales awhile. I certainly dont read too much good stuff about playability of tables like AH or "furniture tables" along those lines but would top of the line components on it give me a table that plays like a high end one? Any table mechanics want to weigh in? Thanks in advance
For that money but any full 7 foot Valley used for about 500. Then get Ridgeback rails that make pro pocket size that comes with cloth on abd bed cloth...about 250 on eBay.You can do bed cloth yourself if pay somebody who's done it before. Easy job. And you are in for under a grand.

Old
  (#18)
Mick
AzB Silver Member
Mick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
It does kind of blow my mind that a nice olhousen or connely or brunswick is a step down in playability.
If you can find a Brunswick or Olhausen seven foot in your price range those would probably do you too. I excluded them because I've personally never seen a seven footer of either, and assumed they wouldn't come up in your search. I know they exist, but I've never seen them.

Old
  (#19)
poolguppy
AzB Silver Member
poolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
If you can find a Brunswick or Olhausen seven foot in your price range those would probably do you too. I excluded them because I've personally never seen a seven footer of either, and assumed they wouldn't come up in your search. I know they exist, but I've never seen them.
There are 3 7ft olhausens in my area for under 800 that look pretty nice, but most I'm seeing are 8ft and 9 ft. I could technically shoehorn an 8ft in but with a 7ft I will be 100% clear of all walls. I'm just gonna keep watching listings with cash in hand and be ready to buy when I see the right one.

"Shoot pool, honkey"
What would Reyes do?

Old
  (#20)
strmanglr scott
AzB Silver Member
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 11:50 AM

I had to have a 3pc slate 7ft to get in my space. I camped on Craig's list for about 3 months. Found a table that had only a few games played on it.

Don't be in a rush and you'll find a cherry deal.

Btw, my slate hasn't moved a bit and my rails are as tight as the day I set it up.

The rail is your best friend.

Old
  (#21)
mantis99
AzB Silver Member
mantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Yes. For a few weeks... then on the furniture grade table the bolts are going to start to work a bit loose. The slate is going to slip a bit. The rails are going to shift a hair out of line. Before you know it everything is just a bit off.

With my valley, I have to level it twice a year. Once in the spring when the ice thaws and my garage sinks, and once in the winter when the ground freezes and lifts my garage. It's pretty much bulletproof. It sees more games than 95% of bar tables out there, and does double duty as my garage work bench.

If appearance is your primary concern then a furniture grade might do you, but if you want long lasting consistent performance, commercial is the way to go. Personally I'll never get anything but a one-piece slate table ever again.
I have a furniture grade brunswick that I have had for 15 years and play 3-5 x week, and I don't have any of these problems. It is also a 3 piece slate. I do use a dehumidifier which probably helps. Also, American Heritage tables use glued solid wood working joinery with much less bolts than most tables. Harder to move, but more solid construction. The AH tables I have played on have played well, but I can not vouch for long term stability with them. I do know some people that have them, and they are all happy with them, but none of them are serious players. https://www.americanheritagebilliard...m-construction

I watch Craigslist in the Chicago area quite a bit for tables, and I would say that if you are patient, you can find a commercial grade table for around $1000. That may not include the install, but I have seen many gold crown III's for around that price. I rarely see Diamonds near that price though, but unless you really feel the need to have a diamond, you can't really go wrong with a well set up Gold Crown.

Old
  (#22)
mantis99
AzB Silver Member
mantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
There are 3 7ft olhausens in my area for under 800 that look pretty nice, but most I'm seeing are 8ft and 9 ft. I could technically shoehorn an 8ft in but with a 7ft I will be 100% clear of all walls. I'm just gonna keep watching listings with cash in hand and be ready to buy when I see the right one.
Don't make the mistake of buying a table that doesn't fit properly. You will regret it every time a shot comes up (which will happen more than you think) where a pole or wall gets in the way. Be patient and the right thing will come along.

Old
  (#23)
Jimmorrison
AzB Silver Member
Jimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Went to Peter's billiards the other day to start shopping for a 7ft pool table (due to room size) and I wasnt super excited about anything I saw under 5k. Been looking at used tables from other dealers and finding some ok tables, but I want some opinions. I'm going for straight up best play for the buck. I would like to stay around 1k dollars. A nice looking american heritage 7ft just popped up for 200, would I be better off buying something like that and having high quality rubbers and simonis felt put on that vs buying say a decent used brunswick or connely or something? My brother snagged a used diamond 7ft for 2k but I'm not likely to find something like that, been watching local online sales awhile. I certainly dont read too much good stuff about playability of tables like AH or "furniture tables" along those lines but would top of the line components on it give me a table that plays like a high end one? Any table mechanics want to weigh in? Thanks in advance
Is there a Peters Billiards in Oregon?

Old
  (#24)
poolguppy
AzB Silver Member
poolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond reputepoolguppy has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmorrison View Post
Is there a Peters Billiards in Oregon?
I moved out to minnesota couple years ago, about 50 minutes west of Minneapolis, Peter's is a nice place

"Shoot pool, honkey"
What would Reyes do?

Old
  (#25)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 02:38 PM

Stranger things have happened but, I wouldn't hold my breath and wait on a quality table that plays well for anywhere near a grand.

Also, it depends on what you think "plays right" means to you.

Some are ok with home tables, valleys etc...etc while others aren't.

Bottom line: any table is better than no table.

Get the best table you can afford. It will be with you a long time.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#26)
Jimmorrison
AzB Silver Member
Jimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I moved out to minnesota couple years ago, about 50 minutes west of Minneapolis, Peter's is a nice place
Around the Metro, Tim Tonjum would be the guy. If you let him know what you want, he can probably get it for less and mark it up. This offsets what he has to charge for travel and labor. His business has really grown, and he might not do this anymore, but I would try him first.
As SBC states above, Ridgeback rails and the right cloth are great on a valley. It will bank a little different, but otherwise play very much like a diamond box. You can usually get one of these from John Stich, at MPA. Might be hit or miss, depending on his tournament schedule.
Yeah, Peters is a cool place. I would not be afraid of any of their older tables. The ones they built themselves. Not sure when they stopped, 15 years ago? Good luck

Old
  (#27)
poolguppy
AzB Silver Member

10-28-2019, 07:10 AM

Well thanks for the input. I made up my mind in the kind of table I was going to start watching for. I've been leaving local marketplace pages open and refreshing them as often as I could and last night i scored. Some one posted an 8ft olhausen oak Sheraton with 6 decent house cues and all the accesories for FREE. found the ad 3 minutes after it was posted and some one had already beat me to it but it was first come first serve and I said I could head out immediately and was only 35 minutes away so they told me to come get it. Loaded up the truck and at 7pm headed out into the night. My wonderful wife helped me dismantle it and in 45 minutes time had it loaded up and on our way. Getting quotes to have it refelted with 860hr and might upgrade the cushions if it dosent already have the accufast. Was in too much of a hurry didnt even look the table over just immediately started taking it apart so I could get out of the peoples hair. Will post some pics when I get it set up proper!

"Shoot pool, honkey"
What would Reyes do?

Old
  (#28)
Jimmorrison
AzB Silver Member

10-28-2019, 08:22 AM

Nice score

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: