Jamaica Joes........................

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just found out that Jamaica Joes in MidwestCity,Ok. will be closing on Nov.26. Apparently with all the developement nearby property values have really gone up and they accepted an offer. Pool will miss this place. Great people, great equipment and overall atmosphere. They've had a good run and i wish all well.

pfd studios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So long Jamica . . .

My best wishes to Don Owens (yes, the "O" in OB Cues) in his next venture . . . yet another loss to the pool world - so sad to hear ot your pool rooms closing.

Now if I could just learn how to spell JAMAICA -lol.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My best wishes to Don Owens (yes, the "O" in OB Cues) in his next venture . . . yet another loss to the pool world - so sad to hear ot your pool rooms closing.

Now if I could just learn how to spell JAMAICA -lol.
One of the nicest, best run spots around. They'll be missed. Don's daughter has run it like a champ. Hope she does well.

indiana slim

Registered
I was there this summer, had a really great time. Played in the weekly nine ball tournament, pure class and great looking place. Shame it wont be there the next time I'm in OKC.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sad to hear this place go. For the past 5 years we did pro artistic pool events there and they have treated us well. It was a great room and I will miss it immensely.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JJ's farewell event will be this weekend's Ok. Bar Table Champ's. $5,000 added. Go play and give the place a good send-off. 405-736-0590

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JJ's farewell event will be this weekend's Ok. Bar Table Champ's. $5,000 added. Go play and give the place a good send-off. 405-736-0590
Just found out that the "real deal" send-off will be the Herman "Herman the German" Croy tournament Nov.23-24. Two great events less than a month apart!! Joe's is goin' out in style!!!

RabbiHippie

"Look! A real hippie!"
Silver Member
Jamaica Joe's was a highlight of my "pool hall tour" this summer. I played there at least three times and was saddened to hear about the room's closing. I certainly don't begrudge anyone who seizes a rare opportunity to "cash out" and do well.

They have one of the few 6' x 12' snooker tables in the U.S., a heated Star table like the British snooker pros use. (There are clubs in Houston and Phoenix with more than one.)

I took pictures and show them to every golfer I meet.

(Hopefully you can see the pictures here. I'm trying to upload as attachments.)

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 527

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe's stuff...................

Folks you need to contact them if you want anything. AFAIK everything is for sale. Talk to K.C Massey at Joes. Final day is Nov.26th.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Are APA Leagues To Blame?

Nice place.
So sad.
Same thing happened to us with Golden Cue.
Best hangout pool room I ever played in.

Some people here will blame APA Leagues for the closing.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice place.
So sad.
Same thing happened to us with Golden Cue.
Best hangout pool room I ever played in.

Some people here will blame APA Leagues for the closing.
Joe's is closing simply because, to semi-quote Don Vito, " they got an offer they couldn't refuse".
The area has been changing a lot and property values have really gone up. When you get an offer that's more than you would have made in years of pool revenue you really gotta go for it. The Ok.City area still has some good spots but imo JJ's was the crown jewel of OkCity pool.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear that JJ's is closing their doors. That was a great place to Go & Play...

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe's is closing simply because, to semi-quote Don Vito, " they got an offer they couldn't refuse".
The area has been changing a lot and property values have really gone up. When you get an offer that's more than you would have made in years of pool revenue you really gotta go for it. The Ok.City area still has some good spots but imo JJ's was the crown jewel of OkCity pool.

You hit the nail on the head.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Just found out that the "real deal" send-off will be the Herman "Herman the German" Croy tournament Nov.23-24. Two great events less than a month apart!! Joe's is goin' out in style!!!

Is Herman still living?....would love a pic

RabbiHippie

"Look! A real hippie!"
Silver Member
Folks you need to contact them if you want anything. AFAIK everything is for sale. Talk to K.C Massey at Joes. Final day is Nov.26th.
Diamond tables included?

I've heard that Diamond the manufacturer buys back their own tables on the used market.

I kinda expected someone to buy all the fixtures and equipment together and effectively re-open Jamaica Joe's at a new location. Judging by foot traffic and activity alone, I'd have guessed it was still a money-maker in comparison to pool rooms in other cities.

Here's hoping the 6x12 snooker table finds a suitable home. I've been told that retail for that model is $22K. (Treat that like "sticker price" on a car lot.)