American Straight Pool Championship, 2019

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good match between JS and Ruslan.

Wilkie basically played himself out of his match vs Appleton. Too many dumb mistakes on his part.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THANK YOU for the stream!

Nice stream! Thx for posting the link, and thank you to the providers. Just watched
Schmidt v Makkonen(sp?) and was a very fun match to watch. Chances to both players to complete the run, and examples of different styles of play (as well as really good show by John of how his game has progressed since his attempt and conquer of the long standing record).

Watching that match just made me think of how Willie after being on the road for so many years, day after day playing exhibitions, must have had such an astounding skill and knowledge base and been so locked in.... I can see how he became what he became (and was who he was).

Just an opinion of a weak 14.1 player at best.... or any other game for that matter.:rolleyes:

td

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone describe the seating/viewing arrangement for spectators?

I've never been but might venture thataway if you can get a good look at the matches.

Lou Figueroa

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone describe the seating/viewing arrangement for spectators?

I've never been but might venture thataway if you can get a good look at the matches.

Lou Figueroa

Looks like they at least have bleachers on one side:

Spectators.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They have bleachers as shown with maybe 60-70 seats total. Until the quarter finals there was no problem getting a seat. The bleachers go up pretty fast so climbing up is a little challenge for the less spry. Now that we are down to fewer tables people are also sitting around the edges. There are 14 or 15 Diamonds in the tournament room, and some out in the main room. They also have a smoking section (but I noticed no smoke in the tournament area or the main room). 70+ tables in total. They have pretty good food at reasonable prices.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quarterfinals

Quarterfinal round just finished a short time ago. Lowest run of the 4 matches was 85 and out by Alex on the stream table.
Next was around 130 by Marco Teutscher in his win over Alcaide. The other 2 matches which were on adjacent tables featured Albin Ouschan with 150 and out over Hohmann while Chinahov was dispatching Maximillion Lechner with a 151 and out.
Peter Burrows had raised 500.00 for anyone who ran 150 and out. 2 people did it almost simultaneously so he threw in another hundred and gave both 300.00.
There was a total of 400.00 earmarked for high runs in the tournament but because of the duplicates (I think there were 5 125 ball runs) he's already given out well over a thousand and tomorrow still to come.
Just my 2 cents but anyone who loves 14.1 should stand up and salute this guy without whom this tournament wouldn't exist. It's the biggest and the best and yet every year Peter strives for improvement. It's always free for spectators and free streaming and the reason for that is because Peter insists on that.
I'd urge anyone within reasonable driving distance to come by on Sat. to shake his hand and personally thank him for all he does.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the intel.

It appears to me that the bleachers are set up at the head end of the tables? So... how's the view? Is there any VIP seating you can get?

Lou Figueroa

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the intel.

It appears to me that the bleachers are set up at the head end of the tables? So... how's the view? Is there any VIP seating you can get?

Lou Figueroa
I thought the view was reasonable. I believe that it was only the TV table that was racked away from the bleachers and that was because the camera was set up on the table at that end. I think the first day may have had the rack away from the camera end but was changed. That table had two rack outlines drawn on it.

It was sometimes hard to see if one ball passed another early in the rack but that's usually the case.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
nope

This has absolutely nothing to do with my post.
Secondly, nobody appreciates you dissing Peter Burrows. Look up classy in the dictionary and his picture will be there. This isn't the place to bring up your feud with John or your ancient history issues with Barry.
Thirdly, there's 6 or 8 guys here who wouldn't have much trouble with you on any table.

Not all that sparkles is shiny my freind' I am sure it's mo impotent' 4 u to belong to there little club than to play solid eh. Bring yer hero and walk lighter - when u leave. I did not mention barry - my post was in reference to brady (who lied to 'all' forum members bout owing me $ for one of his tornaments') - ur reading retention skills are probly as poor as yer 14.1 game. As far as peter - he is justjohnny archerr's puppet, I notice u mentioned the word 'nobody' speaking 4 the masses = very low IQ sparkle of deficiency. Be careful u don't become a political puppet yerselfy. My name is on their plaque there in q mester's - I really wish it was not. I really don't want my name associated with anythin that has to do with burrows or brady berman - and his two $ orders for $1,000.00 a piece ha ha - what a liar he is. I guess that is the last venue left for Straight pool - part of the demise of 14.1 i suppose. peter is not very honest either - look up honest in yer dictionary sparky 1984 u will see me, party' of being classy is bein' honest - u r either a political puppet yerself' or just not too well informed - probly a combo of both. As far as yer 6 or 8 players - anyone of them - are not stealing agin' me in Straight Pool - I promise - that actually does mean it's true - just so u understand.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
oh correction q mesters' I hope that the $ is in an escrow account, if not then they may end up wishing they would have stayed home. it does make sense that peter would choose that venue, he is not an honest person and is easily influenced by his boy archer. probly no ref's either - i will let em have their little soiree as I have zero interest takin my chances with brady after him lying on this forum about ($2,000) that had been owed to me for 12yrs. Good luck getting paid american straight pool players - again i won't take my chances with little weasel brady.

Danny: The money is legit and everyone is getting paid. Brady's room added nothing and I doubt his hands are on the money.

Dennis

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Ok

Danny: The money is legit and everyone is getting paid. Brady's room added nothing and I doubt his hands are on the money.

Dennis

Roger that Dennis, Max told also mentioned last night through a text that brady sold the room and the event was now legit. That is a feather in the cap for future of 14.1, brady was a very poor businessman - should stay with building his web or what ever he duzz'. People like sparkle84 don't know the hell I went through with brady. Thanks again. If peter and archerr ever clear their issues with why they were angry at me for winning two yrs in a row I may again compete.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the view was reasonable. I believe that it was only the TV table that was racked away from the bleachers and that was because the camera was set up on the table at that end. I think the first day may have had the rack away from the camera end but was changed. That table had two rack outlines drawn on it.

It was sometimes hard to see if one ball passed another early in the rack but that's usually the case.

Thanks again.

Bob, did you play this year?

Lou Figueroa

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspect that Peter Burrows has never asked any host room to adjust the size of the pockets, and that the Diamonds in Q-Masters tournament room were not modified for this event but are the same pockets that they have had since they were originally installed.

My feeling is that the pockets are the right difficulty for this level of competition.

Bob - In 2018, at Carom Cafe during the event, Peter Burrows told me in person that he had made the room shim the tables - which were getting new cloth for the tournament - so as to make the pocket size uniform from table to table. He told me that he even provided a template to the room owner. Corner opening size was 4 5/8, he said. This was selected because after the tournament ended, the tables would be used by the room’s regular customers, and the pockets couldn’t be overly tight.

That is not to say that he specified anything in 2019, or that the table pocket openings this year were anything other than original size.

And, I agree that the pockets were a good size this year.