Brunswick bar box relocation and set up

Billo

Hello and greetings from Australia.

I've found a 7ft coin operated table for sale and considering buying it to set up at home. See attached image.

Unfortunately the local billiards table services companies either won't do it, claiming these tables are rare here (true) and are very difficult to set up correctly, or are quoting an excessive amount to do the job (nearly as much as the asking price for the table).

So I've spent a lot of time searching and I'm no closer to having the answers. Hoping you good folk might steer me in the right direction.

I'm wondering if someone handy with tools (ie my carpenter nephew) and with my help, should attempt to disassemble the table, transport it to my home.
If that's possible, I'd then look to hiring a pro to re-cloth and set it up level and ready to play.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• ad_1573458578387.jpg
    ad_1573458578387.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 404

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is absolutely nothing keeping you from taking this on, especially if your nephew is willing to help. Do it yourself. It'll turn out fine and will mean more in the end. I'd kill to replace my valley with that table.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Assuming your nephew the carpenter wants to get involved, the two of you could do the whole job if the table doesn't need repairs.

Here is a video from Australia on how to recloth a table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEmCmWUNxnw

There are lots of other videos available including some that relate better to your table which is not a snooker style. I have never seen a pool mechanic do the "pull the rubber back to straight" step in part 2 of the Australian series.:eek:

There is also a "Talk to a Mechanic (Fitter)" forum here:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello and greetings from Australia.

I've found a 7ft coin operated table for sale and considering buying it to set up at home. See attached image.

Unfortunately the local billiards table services companies either won't do it, claiming these tables are rare here (true) and are very difficult to set up correctly, or are quoting an excessive amount to do the job (nearly as much as the asking price for the table).

So I've spent a lot of time searching and I'm no closer to having the answers. Hoping you good folk might steer me in the right direction.

I'm wondering if someone handy with tools (ie my carpenter nephew) and with my help, should attempt to disassemble the table, transport it to my home.
If that's possible, I'd then look to hiring a pro to re-cloth and set it up level and ready to play.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
I'm not seeing the issue. Does it need completely disassembled? Just get a trailer and 6 guys and move it.

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I'm mon seeing the issue. Does it need completely disassembled? Just get a trailer and 6 guys and move it.

It’s a “box”.
It does not come apart.
Just the legs come off.
The slate can be removed. But does not need to be to move it.
Tilt it up onto its side onto a flat carpeted furniture Dolley.
Secure it with two 18’ ratchet straps.
Wheel it away.

or buy a Bar Box cart.

*****Be sure to beef up the center slate support, tends to bow downward.*****
Search the “Talk to a Mechanic” for “Metro” and “Bar Box Move.”

Be Warned! One of the Fitters is a Real Number.

You level it yourself.
Screw all the legs all the way in.
Put a level on the table.
Find the highest leg. Leave that one alone.
Bring the other three legs UP to level.
Once that is done fine tune by slow rolling balls a few inches away from the cushions to look for roll off.
Adjust as needed.

Re-cloth is a whole thing that you could have a fitter do.
Removal of the slate could be found on YouTube.

Attachments

• 5760F159-84C4-4856-94C7-0CCDF01B08ED.jpeg
    5760F159-84C4-4856-94C7-0CCDF01B08ED.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 9E78254E-3B0A-470F-A6B4-C8623087488A.jpeg
    9E78254E-3B0A-470F-A6B4-C8623087488A.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 255
  • E5B3E758-E501-468E-BF79-28BA9E7AEE8A.jpeg
    E5B3E758-E501-468E-BF79-28BA9E7AEE8A.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a “box”.
It does not come apart.
Just the legs come off.
The slate can be removed. But does not need to be to move it.
Tilt it up onto its side onto a flat carpeted furniture Dolley.
Secure it with two 18’ ratchet straps.
Wheel it away.

or buy a Bar Box cart.

*****Be sure to beef up the center slate support, tends to bow downward.*****
Search the “Talk to a Mechanic” for “Metro” and “Bar Box Move.”

Be Warned! One of the Fitters is a Real Number.

You level it yourself.
Screw all the legs all the way in.
Put a level on the table.
Find the highest leg. Leave that one alone.
Bring the other three legs UP to level.
Once that is done fine tune by slow rolling balls a few inches away from the cushions to look for roll off.
Adjust as needed.

Re-cloth is a whole thing that you could have a fitter do.
Removal of the slate could be found on YouTube.

That's what I thought. Moved just like any Valley. That's why I couldn't see what the huge problem was. Sounds like some people trying to butt flock the OP.

On the other hand, I've never seen a Brunswick bar box( I would love to have it though). Something special about them to where you can't
flip them up on the side?

Last edited:

Billo

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Some further background... Although these "American" style tales are reasonably common in Sydney and Melbourne, outside of those cities you'll mostly find "English" style tables.

I'm in a different smaller city, where the local billiard services (removals, repairs, etc) companies are not so familiar with them. I've called and spoken to most of them. I wanted a professional move/install and re-cloth service.

Most have just flat out refused the work, claiming these tables are too difficult to move and set up correctly.

One guy who was willing quoted 2 different prices, depending if it was a single or 3 piece slate table. It was very expensive either way, plus I wasn't feeling too confident since he should know if it's one or the other, right? He was absolutely certain the table had to be disassembled, otherwise too risky to cause damage to the table/slate.

Anyway, I'll continue to investigate and research, hopefully will work out a way to get it done.

Billo

....Brunswick bar box.... Something special about them to where you can't flip them up on the side?

Yes, thank you, this is a question I'm very sure I need to answer before attempting the move.

I do know that the inside includes all the circuitry & battery for the coin operations - apparently that's quite fragile.

I have plenty of time and my nephew with tools & skills is very willing to help. So, I'm not against disassembling the table if it's an easier/safer way to transport it.

But if the pro advice is to move it in one piece, then I'll happily look into how I'll manage that. Definitely no chance I can buy one of those bar box trolleys here - I wish! :smile:

Thanks again for all your replies, I'm obviously very inexperienced with the task at hand and basically just don't want to make a mess of things.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I can tell, the Brunswick Metro is just a valley one-piece slate barbox dressed up in a tuxedo. Should be trivial to remove the slate and move in 2 pieces. The slate and cabinet should weigh around 300lbs each, about 600 lbs total weight. Your carpenter nephew should have no trouble building a frame to easily move the table and slate on-edge (separately) on a regular 4 wheel dolly, no need for a custom purchased table dolly. This is how I moved mine (I am also carpenter). Unless you have stairs to navigate, 3 reasonably fit guys can do it with ease. I have done it alone... carefully.

If you can't find a table mechanic to re-cloth the table and replace rubber if needed, even after explaining that it is essentially just valley coin-op construction, I'd suggest doing it yourself. Watch some youtube videos on how to re-cloth valley tables. It's very easy.

Last edited: