How does one get pro status?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
The question of how to get pro status becomes significantly less interesting if you first answer the question of what having pro status gets you.

...pretty deep for a Saturday morning, eh?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pay for your entry fee into a pro tournament and announce your self as a pro. That’s it. There’s no tour card. There’s no skills you have to pass in this country. Just have the money to play in a pro tournament.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
What makes a player pro player?
Semi pro?

Trying to understand how pool leagues and tournments and becomming professinal works.

Big money tournments invite only.
Do you pay for entry if amateur?

I assume multiple leagues and tournments all over different levels of pay out.

Do you have to join a league?

I understand vague question?
Just want to understand how it all works.

Thank you

Fargo Rate may have an opinion....

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What makes a player pro player?
Semi pro?

Trying to understand how pool leagues and tournments and becomming professinal works.

Big money tournments invite only.
Do you pay for entry if amateur?

I assume multiple leagues and tournments all over different levels of pay out.

Do you have to join a league?

I understand vague question?
Just want to understand how it all works.

Thank you
Step 1: Buy or borrow a cue Step 2: Walk into nearest pool room Step 3: Pronounce yourself to be a pro. Done. ;)

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The labels Pro and Semi-pro have nothing to do with skill. Professional means that is how you make a living. Semi-pro means you make money at it but not enough to quit your day job. Amateur means you do it as a hobby without regard to making money.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The labels Pro and Semi-pro have nothing to do with skill. Professional means that is how you make a living. Semi-pro means you make money at it but not enough to quit your day job. Amateur means you do it as a hobby without regard to making money.

Stop making sense, Greg. That's not allowed in this thread.

Maniac

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
I can't believe no one has posted this. I think it is the same for golf and other sports. Not sure.

If you enter a pro event and you place in the money, ie. you get paid, you are designated a pro and are no longer eligible to enter any amateur event. This is permanent. You cannot go back to amateur status.

Anyone can enter a pro tournament. I have several times. It is getting paid to play that makes you a professional.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe no one has posted this. I think it is the same for golf and other sports. Not sure.

If you enter a pro event and you place in the money, ie. you get paid, you are designated a pro and are no longer eligible to enter any amateur event. This is permanent. You cannot go back to amateur status.

Anyone can enter a pro tournament. I have several times. It is getting paid to play that makes you a professional.
Pool has no such structure. Very ambiguous/arbitrary. In golf you can not accept ANY cash prizes and are limited to $750 in vouchers, gift cert., etc.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Your answer begs a new and different question.

What decides the difference between a "pro" tournament and an "amateur" tournament?

Right this minute the SidePocket Open tournament is being held in Shreveport, LA. There are just a smattering of what we would call "professionals" attending (Roberto Gomez and James Aranas just to name a couple). IMHO, I do not believe that this tournament would qualify as a professional tournament what with the bulk of the players being amateur/semi-pro. Yet at least two, the two I named above, and probably some others that have certainly not only earned money at a professional event, but has actually won some of them are playing in it.

By your definition those two wouldn't be allowed to participate in it.

You may counter by saying that the SidePocket Open is a professional event. If that is so, then why so few "professionals" are actually there?

IMO, the only pool tournaments in America that should be labeled "professional" are the ones that generate points for Mosconi Cup play. All others should just be labeled "Pool Tournaments".

My $0.02.

Maniac

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

There may be some amateur organization that uses this guideline but it is by no means definitive. Pool is just scrambled all up. There is one set of “who can’t play in the us amateur championships” that considers pool instructors to be pros. Anyone who gets paid an appearance fee to show up in a pool hall, for whatever, is a pro.

In the SBE pro level players are allowed to play as amateurs as long as they haven’t cashed top 3 in certain big name events *the previous year.

Nothing is permanent in this situation I think unless your a Named Pro that most pool junkies would recognize

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have seen some area/local tournaments have this restriction, even if you just play in a bigger event you could be barred from playing in some tournaments which is silly. Anyone with the money can enter the US Open, etc... they can be a D player. Without a national ranking and league systems there are no "Pro" pool players, just Pro level skill players that happen to make money playing pool. When was the last time we read about some college senior pool player leaving school early to sign up with the "Chicago Stripes" to play "Pro Pool"? That would be never. Even things like being sponsored in tournaments and equipment is not a good way to tell if you are a Pro, since there are plenty of B and A players with "sponsors". Pool has gone by "known ability" to determine rankings not any sort of tour or membership in a league system ranking. Even in the days of the Pro Billiards Tour, I'm pretty sure you could just show up at an event and play without needing a tour card. The closest recently was that short lived player association that was pretty much formed only to make sure the US Open payed out the players and then dissipated again.

WPA, BCA and Matchroom should sit in some office for a bit and sort out some sort of agreement about an actual national and world-wide pool tour with rankings, tour cards, unions, whatever, then we can have "Pro" pool players.

You hold some local qualifiers, top 3 from each area get a tour card to play in higher level events. Or just use the Fargo rating, if you are 750 and up, you get a tour card for events, if under you need to play in a qualifier. Then those players can call themselves Pros and be excluded from leagues like APA based on actual pro status vs some nebulous random thing that people think a pro pool player is.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll say it again

Go win

Simple as that. Fargo smargo, leagues don’t count, local pool tourney’s are local yokels. That’s all no words and noise.

Pro speed don’t equal pro. I’ve known guys who played pro speed and couldn’t take they game out of their local room-social anxiety or something, who knows who cares?

When you can go “win” anywhere anytime and get the $ and that what you do-your a pro. Until then you aren’t.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Not exactly the same but I've cashed in the DCC 1pocket many times but am nowhere near pro status.

I think you need to win or finish really high in a couple of big events, then perhaps you're consider to be at that level.

Lou Figueroa

If anyone can enter, then it's NOT a Pro event!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
If not having a real full time job makes you a pro then I've met a ton of them.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If not having a real full time job makes you a pro then I've met a ton of them.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Amen to that.

Having siad that, most of them are more or less homeless and sleep wherever they can from town to town. Usually on someone's couch or worse.

Lets not even talk about their health as they get older from that lifestyle.

One thing is for sure, we may not know what they're doing now but, we all know for sure where they will eventually be:

Foodstamp (EBT) line....off our backs!
SSI check ..................off our backs!
Free health care ......off our backs!

You know what? Something else I just realized....lol....:

They hustled "us" while young and able play....then, after getting to old or sick to hustle us at pool.....lol......they hustle us out of our tax money....

They got it figured out, huh?

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll say it again

Go win

Simple as that. Fargo smargo, leagues don’t count, local pool tourney’s are local yokels. That’s all no words and noise.

Pro speed don’t equal pro. I’ve known guys who played pro speed and couldn’t take they game out of their local room-social anxiety or something, who knows who cares?

When you can go “win” anywhere anytime and get the $ and that what you do-your a pro. Until then you aren’t.

I agree 100%

You described me to a "T".

Champ at home but, when I go out to run with the big dogs I don't last to long, unless I steer clear of the mid-level and up pros. If I play only lower tier pros, I can usually hang for a few days before my weaker fundamentals and consistency fails me.

Jeff

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
If anyone can enter, then it's NOT a Pro event!
Then you're eliminating the U.S. Open as a pro event???

I know better than to get into a Barton-esque debate with THE realkingcobra, but your reasoning leads straight back to one of the original questions:

Where is the separation between the "anyone" and the "pro"? There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Who draws that line? Where is the information posted for one to look at?

It's too complicated and disorganized to differentiate between amateur/semi-pro/pro without stepping on some toes.

It's similar to the MLB's All-Star team picks. Someone deserving always gets left out.

Maniac

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then you're eliminating the U.S. Open as a pro event???

I know better than to get into a Barton-esque debate with THE realkingcobra, but your reasoning leads straight back to one of the original questions:

Where is the separation between the "anyone" and the "pro"? There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Who draws that line? Where is the information posted for one to look at?

It's too complicated and disorganized to differentiate between amateur/semi-pro/pro without stepping on some toes.

It's similar to the MLB's All-Star team picks. Someone deserving always gets left out.

Maniac

Organization!

Pool is all over the place.

Pool reminds me of tiny mice fighting over the same piece of cheese.

It would go a long ways to have a "standard" in equipment that had to be met to be considered pro equipment. The same for the games and rules.

Also, if someone could control all the tournaments through one body and then let viewership pay the bill with online and tv.

It could be done. It's not something that would be easy but, I truly believe that someone will and when they do, lol....their gonna make a ton of money.

Think:

Facebook
Netflix
Hulu
Comcast
And pretty much any ppv company that has adds.

It's there, it just needs someone thag has the connections, knowledge and desire to do it.

Jeff

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Also, if someone could control all the tournaments through one body and then let viewership pay the bill with online and tv.

It could be done. It's not something that would be easy but, I truly believe that someone will and when they do, lol....their gonna make a ton of money.

It's there, it just needs someone thag has the connections, knowledge and desire to do it.

Jeff

It's been tried more than once. Problems seem to arise because of the power/control issues between the organizations and the players.

I agree with your post on all accounts though.

Maniac

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do ya call a pro poolplayer with a pissed off girlfriend? Homeless! LOL

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Old joke:
What's the difference between a Professional Pool Player and a Large Pizza?

Answer:
A large Pizza can feed a family of four.