Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Paul Newman Interview in 1962 about playing Fast Eddie

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Paul Newman Interview in 1962 about playing Fast Eddie
Old
  (#1)
JAM
USA, ALL THE WAY!
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

Paul Newman Interview in 1962 about playing Fast Eddie - 11-23-2019, 08:41 AM

PAUL NEWMAN: I did some research. There was a pool hall on 47th Street, upstairs on the second floor. So the first day I got back, I went up there just to sniff around, and this kid came over and said, "How would you like to shoot a little pool?"

I said, "No, I don't shoot."

And he came back in about 15 minutes, and he said, "Come on. Play a little game. You don't have to play for a lot. Heck, shoot a little game of pool."

I said, "No, I really don't shoot."

He came back to me about 20 minutes later and said, "You're an actor, aren't you?"

And I said, "Yeah."

He said, "Yeah. I seen you."

I said, "But let me ask you a question. You don't know me. What happens if I'm hustling you and I take you for your wad?"

He said, "Well, if you take me for my wad, the guy beyond the counter there, he'll come over and play you."

I said, "Well, but what if I beat him?"

He says, "The guy that takes the coats, he'll come over and play you."

I said, "Well, what if I beat him?"

He says, "You beat him, we call Chicago."

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMNn...ature=youtu.be

Old
  (#2)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-23-2019, 09:34 AM

Thanks the video was a nice background on the production of the movie, I knew it was not Paul Newman who was originally tapped for the part of Fast Eddie, I also seem to remember that perhaps it was the singer/actor Bobby Darin who was first approached for that role. Newman was nominated for the Oscar as best actor for that role. he did not win/ but it was, IMO, as a film critic, the best male acting performance of that year- pool was good to Paul, and he won it for Color of Money in 1986. His only win as best actor!

Old
  (#3)
pocket
AzB Silver Member
pocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond repute

11-23-2019, 01:02 PM

Very cool thanks for posting that. The internet can be an amazing thing.

Old
  (#4)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-23-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
Thanks the video was a nice background on the production of the movie, I knew it was not Paul Newman who was originally tapped for the part of Fast Eddie, I also seem to remember that perhaps it was the singer/actor Bobby Darin who was first approached for that role. Newman was nominated for the Oscar as best actor for that role. he did not win/ but it was, IMO, as a film critic, the best male acting performance of that year- pool was good to Paul, and he won it for Color of Money in 1986. His only win as best actor!
They say he won it for The Color of Money to make up for not winning it for The Hustler - it should have been the other way 'round, both for his performances and for the quality of the movies.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#5)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-23-2019, 02:38 PM

Pat...and that would have happened, had The Hustler not been up against West Side Story (which won all the awards that year)!

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
They say he won it for The Color of Money to make up for not winning it for The Hustler - it should have been the other way 'round, both for his performances and for the quality of the movies.

pj
chgo

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#6)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

11-23-2019, 02:46 PM

I thought it was more of a lifetime achievement
award.
Sometimes they give actors an Oscar for a
turd because it is one of their last movies
and they came close a few times but
didn't win.
Not that c.o.m. was a turd. Its one of my favorites.

Old
  (#7)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
Pat...and that would have happened, had The Hustler not been up against West Side Story (which won all the awards that year)!
Yeah, I was a fan of both, but even at the ripe young age of 13 (and despite Natalie Wood) I could see that Paul got hustled by the Academy that year.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#8)
cj609
AzB Silver Member
cj609 has a reputation beyond reputecj609 has a reputation beyond reputecj609 has a reputation beyond reputecj609 has a reputation beyond reputecj609 has a reputation beyond reputecj609 has a reputation beyond reputecj609 has a reputation beyond reputecj609 has a reputation beyond reputecj609 has a reputation beyond reputecj609 has a reputation beyond reputecj609 has a reputation beyond repute

11-23-2019, 03:14 PM

That was awesome.

Old
  (#9)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

11-24-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour
The best leading actor award that year did not go to anyone from West Side Story- Paul got robbed in 1961 and got even in 1986- yes, he should have won BOTH years! His 1986 win for Color of Money was NOT a lifetime achievement award- it was for THAT specific performance.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: