Reload this Page Article on Philipino Pool Players
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Article on Philipino Pool Players
Old
  (#1)
8cree
AzB Silver Member

8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Article on Philipino Pool Players - 11-26-2019, 02:25 PM

Ran across this killing time in between matches on the Cup. Pretty good read. fForgive me if it has already been posted. This is the wildest and most intricate forum I've ever been a part of. I only participate in 2 others, a local fishing and a boating forum

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...reyes-12126652

... behind every good man, there's a woman rolling her eyes

Old
  (#2)
deanoc
AzB Gold Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-26-2019, 03:14 PM

Great article
i would like a copy

Old
  (#3)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

11-26-2019, 04:29 PM

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing.

Old
  (#4)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

11-26-2019, 06:00 PM

How can you misspell Filipino when it's all over the article ?

Old
  (#5)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

11-26-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post

Well some people are not grammer & spelling experts, it's really not a big deal I got what he was talking about.

Old
  (#6)
poolhustler
AzB Silver Member
poolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3500

11-26-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing.... lol

At least he didn't spell it Pillipino.

"Then again...you may be the Antichrist"

“If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every AMERICAN to be informed”
Thomas Jefferson

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an
instrument for the people to restrain the
Government-lest it come to dominate our lives and interest .”
Patrick Henry

Old
  (#7)
8cree
AzB Silver Member

8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute

11-27-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Lol ... shit happens... and on that note I wonder why it isn't spelled Filippines? Riddle Me That grammar Batman

Old
  (#8)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-27-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cree View Post
Ran across this killing time in between matches on the Cup. Pretty good read. fForgive me if it has already been posted. This is the wildest and most intricate forum I've ever been a part of. I only participate in 2 others, a local fishing and a boating forum

Nice article Here’s what I wrote in 2005:

————————

I've posted this previously on other boards, but without Alex in mind. I don't know anything about Alex, his up bringing, or his cultural background. Because he still has a Pilipino accent, I can only assume that he has more Filipino culture inherent compared to, say, me.

That being said:

The Philippines has been a poor 3rd world country for a while. Gambling is as part of the culture as eating adobo. That is to say that if anyone had a hint of skills that could make money, a Filipino will take to it as if his life were dependent on it. That's because, in essence, the gambling mentality for much of the PHilippines is (was?) about being able to live.

American pool was introduced to the Philippines long before almost any other third world country. That's the biggest reason why we've seen more great Filipino players compared to other third world countries. As we have seen, other countries in the Southeast have been generating world champions in the past decade.

As a money and living opportunity, the Filipinos have taken to pool gambling full bore and have never looked back. Those that could not sustain a living have gone to other things like Mah Jong, cock fighting, etc. (that's just a joke, of course). That is to say, of course there are less-than-world-class Filipino players (who all have played 15-ball rotation on crappy equipment). The cream rises to the top, and we as pool fans get to enjoy the cream.

I honestly believe that if the Philippines were part of the UK from the early 1900's instead of part of the USA, then the World's Greatest Snooker Player would have been a Filipino with the name "Reyes."

So, gambling and the pursuit of a life via gambling is different than in the US. We in the US as a whole are not a gambling nation. Gambling isn't legal in most states. In the Philippines, gambling at anything is the norm. The Philippines is one of the best cases that excellence can be greatly affected by socio-economics rather than physical attributes alone.

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#9)
racetoday
AzB Silver Member
racetoday has a reputation beyond reputeracetoday has a reputation beyond reputeracetoday has a reputation beyond reputeracetoday has a reputation beyond reputeracetoday has a reputation beyond reputeracetoday has a reputation beyond reputeracetoday has a reputation beyond reputeracetoday has a reputation beyond reputeracetoday has a reputation beyond reputeracetoday has a reputation beyond reputeracetoday has a reputation beyond repute

11-27-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing !

Interesting article.

Old
  (#10)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

11-27-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Lol ... shit happens... and on that note I wonder why it isn't spelled Filippines? Riddle Me That grammar Batman
The country was named after King Phillip .

Old
  (#11)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-27-2019, 11:22 AM

Open the link...Turn on printer...hit control/P on your computer keyboard...print article.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
Great article
i would like a copy

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#12)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

11-27-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
Open the link...Turn on printer...hit control/P on your computer keyboard...print article.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour
You actually think Deano has a printer?

Old
  (#13)
8cree
AzB Silver Member

11-27-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
The country was named after King Phillip .
I see your Google works better than my spell check, well done.

Old
  (#14)
arps
tirador (ng pansit)
arps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 03:30 AM

People: Filipino

"Ang bilyar ay mahiwaga."
- Efren

Old
  (#15)
Thunder Thighs
learning daily...
Thunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2950

11-28-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
I honestly believe that if the Philippines were part of the UK from the early 1900's instead of part of the USA...
Oh lord have mercy!... That would have been horrible on so many levels

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: