Reload this Page Lesson I learned at the state fair of texas 65 years ago
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Where is Terry?
Old
  (#16)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Where is Terry? - 11-29-2019, 11:52 AM

I can't recall Terry's handle at the moment. He used to ride motorcycles in the big drums at the fair. Last I knew he still had a wall of death at his house. He could give us the skinny if he was so inclined.

I do remember there was a word that meant it was time to go to war. If you hear somebody yell that at a carnival or fair it is time to get out by the most direct route, the hell with fences gates and minor details.

I worked with or hired a few guys that had been carnies over the years. They had stories to tell but most of them were very closed mouthed with little to say to anyone that hadn't been in the life too or wasn't still in the life.

Hu

Old
  (#17)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

11-29-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
I can't recall Terry's handle at the moment. He used to ride motorcycles in the big drums at the fair. Last I knew he still had a wall of death at his house. He could give us the skinny if he was so inclined.
Blue Hog ridr

Run racks, not your mouth.

Thanks a Bunch!
Old
  (#18)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a Bunch! - 11-29-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post

Yes that was exactly who I had in mind. Doesn't seem like two years since he has been on the forum but time flies when you are having fun, even when you aren't!

Hu

Old
  (#19)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-29-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:

(I do remember there was a word that meant it was time to go to war. If you hear somebody yell that at a carnival or fair it is time to get out by the most direct route, the hell with fences gates and minor details. )

I worked with or hired a few guys that had been carnies over the years. They had stories to tell but most of them were very closed mouthed with little to say to anyone that hadn't been in the life too or wasn't still in the life.

Hu
The word, to my untrained English ears, sounds like “loss and gain”
Pretty sure it’s from the Rom, commonly known as Gypsy, and would’ve originated in the
Punjabi language.
Rough translation...”Stop what you’re doing,”

Very common phrase in many countries...black marketeers, pawn brokers, dealers in
hot goods, etc

If anybody knows how to spell, post up, please

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Grifters, tricksters,andcon artists
Old
  (#20)
gmillioni
AzB Silver Member
gmillioni has a reputation beyond reputegmillioni has a reputation beyond reputegmillioni has a reputation beyond reputegmillioni has a reputation beyond reputegmillioni has a reputation beyond reputegmillioni has a reputation beyond reputegmillioni has a reputation beyond reputegmillioni has a reputation beyond reputegmillioni has a reputation beyond reputegmillioni has a reputation beyond reputegmillioni has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to gmillioni Send a message via Yahoo to gmillioni  
Grifters, tricksters,andcon artists - 11-29-2019, 03:18 PM

To sum up all those stories, I learned “never bet on another mans tricks”.

Old
  (#21)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

11-29-2019, 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=deanoc;6529110

this led to another adjustment of handicap,increase of the wager and a $20,000 set

[/QUOTE]

$20,000 in 1954 is today's equivalent of $193,000.

Old
  (#22)
deanoc
AzB Gold Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-29-2019, 06:47 PM

i didn'twin the money when i was 10,it was 20 or so years later when this episode took place
and i don't mean to leave you woith the idea that scores like this were ever common
nonethe less it was a lot in those days

lets face it pool is a grind, combine golf and poker and propositions and you might have a chance

not a real good one these days

It seems almost impossible to believe the stories about Titanic winning millions back in the 20s
these days in Dallas all i see is very cheap pool,it makes me know that it was time to call it quits
Ty said Daddy warbucks beat him for $200,000 or more,i forget the exact figure,playing pool
it was the largest score ever at the time

i think Archie won $1,000,000 from Bobby B on a bar table in the 90s
I spent a month trying to get Archie down ,but All i did was waste time and money
I didn't actually lose money gambling other than seed money,but that and the nut
or high cost of living takes its toll

Guys like Papa Glenn,Verl Horn,Eddie Oneil and their sort are not to be expected again
Maybe its for the best.

Combine that with old age,stiff bones,poor eye sight and diminished desire or stamina.

Couple all that with cheap pool and it all adds up to an end of an era
at least for me if not for pool

Poker still has money, just stop by Griffs and watch them play high,
It hurts to see that kind of action and to know it will never be right for me
I can't keep up.

There was a time when finding a poker game was the hardest part,
now its easy to find a game but the skill level has surpassed me and then some

Last edited by deanoc; 11-29-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Old
  (#23)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-29-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:

I do remember there was a word that meant it was time to go to war. If you hear somebody yell that at a carnival or fair it is time to get out by the most direct route, the hell with fences gates and minor details.

Hu
Name:  E884CA28-56D5-442F-A4C1-D9C6FE2753C2.jpeg
Views: 181
Size:  100.9 KB

The gas station is husky....so is Terry

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#24)
deanoc
AzB Gold Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 05:20 AM

is this tery from las vegas?

Old
  (#25)
Maxx
AzB Platinum Member
Maxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
I believe he’s from Canada.

Old
  (#26)
Brookeland Bill
AzB Silver Member
Brookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 09:26 AM

I too went to the Texas State Fair In the early 60’s traveling from my small East Texas town with my parents and sister. I learned the first time I shot the cork rifles that the fact you were shooting light weight corks that were not aerodynamic that I needed something to give me a better than even chance. The next year I brought some small tacks to insert in the end of the cork when the carnie wasn’t looking. Got my stuffed animals and stuffed it up the carnies keister.

Olivier Sneaky Pete
Olivier Custom Four Point
Espirito
Jackson

Old
  (#27)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

12-02-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
Regina, Saskatchewan

Run racks, not your mouth.

We need Terry back!
Old
  (#28)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!

We need Terry back! - 12-02-2019, 10:43 AM

If Terry just faded out we need him back! One of the good guys.

Hu

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: