Josh Filler says to SVB, "There's a new King!"

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Say what you want, but IMHO Joshua Filler is the best player I saw out there this week. He just does almost everything a little bit better and with less effort than anyone else. Skyler hung in there and was strong enough mentally to take full advantage when Josh made a couple of errors. Believe me, all pool players know who the better player is! Usually they act accordingly, but not this time. It doesn't matter that Filler might get the best of Skyler in the long run. What matters is he didn't do it yesterday when all the marbles were on the line! Just my two cents as always. :smile:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Say what you want, but IMHO Joshua Filler is the best player I saw out there this week. He just does almost everything a little bit better and with less effort than anyone else. Skyler hung in there and was strong enough mentally to take full advantage when Josh made a couple of errors. Believe me, all pool players know who the better player is! Usually they act accordingly, but not this time. It doesn't matter that Filler might get the best of Skyler in the long run. What matters is he didn't do it yesterday when all the marbles were on the line! Just my two cents as always. :smile:

I agree he just simply does so many things better than others consistently and does it quickly,, I'm not so sure they all see him as him being better , but he is , I'm more than sure the window is wide open for Sky for a long set for big cash I'm even more sure your not taking him if that were to happen,,,
But it's Sky's day and on any given day in a short race no one bar none has to like it , I can remember him at the Xbo beating a top player here and dusting him , I was baffled on how easy it was for him mind boggling he was still playing APA
I walked over to a friend and said I just saw a future world class player , as I did Thorpe , called for both to be on the team when Wilson took over a lot of people here didn't agree , I'm happy for these young men and it's been a pleasure to see them grow into the players they have become

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda o n the same page...
...how about race to 15....best of 5 sets.
You can make a flat bet....and bet on every individual match.

Has anybody ever watched the whole match in a race to 100?
Never. Usually bits and pieces. If it is close, will watch most of last day.
One thing's for sure, I do more work during these long races than during major tournaments. :D

Exactly.

100 is such an arbitrary number that people with a limited understanding of variance pulled out of the air in an effort to come up with a format that "evens out the rolls"
Correct. If the number is 200 or 1000 , it could be different winner so why isn’t it race to 200 or 1000? Also at best it proves who is better player or had better hair day on those days. If they play another day, it could be different winner.
Many sports cos don’t play long races. No need to cos they look at head to head record, titles, rankings to evaluate who is better player cos that is performance over period of time not just performance over a few days.

Another thing

Filler 5 - 0 vs Thorpe
Filler 5 - 1 vs Shane
Filler 5 - 0 bs Shane
Filler 3 - 5 vs Sky

Filler 18 - 6 vs America seems pretty Kingly to me.

One loss and all of a sudden he's a chump lol

True

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the way a LOT of the people here. who play no where near the level of SVB, keep trying to say what sort of match he should play for the money.

Until you play at his level, and for the amount of money (usually his own, I've heard) he does, then you have no business trying to say what match is best for HIM.

He has his "winning" (usually) process down to a science. Why should he change it?

For YOU?

Pfffffffftttttttttt.

Why should he?

If you want him to play different formats for big cash, why don't you call him up and tell him you'll stake him and pay his expenses?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I love the way a LOT of the people here. who play no where near the level of SVB, keep trying to say what sort of match he should play for the money.

Until you play at his level, and for the amount of money (usually his own, I've heard) he does, then you have no business trying to say what match is best for HIM.

He has his "winning" (usually) process down to a science. Why should he change it?

For YOU?

Pfffffffftttttttttt.

Why should he?

If you want him to play different formats for big cash, why don't you call him up and tell him you'll stake him and pay his expenses?

Snooker has the millionaires....they were created by viewers.
...when I gambled on the road, nobody could tell me how much or how long...
...PPV streaming is another thing

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker has the millionaires....they were created by viewers.
...when I gambled on the road, nobody could tell me how much or how long...
...PPV streaming is another thing

Until the PPV promoters can get a guaranteed large enough revenue stream to make the prize payout worthwhile for the players, the players will have to resort to gambling.

If they are gambling, they don't care what the viewers want...they care what gives them the best chance for putting the money in their pockets.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For YOU?

Pfffffffftttttttttt.

Why should he?

Correct. It's the player's choice when gambling (off camera).

When it comes to the belief that longer races equals less variance, there is no difference between a race to 100 or multiple races to 15 to 25. However, for streaming purposes, one of those formats is likely to get more views.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct. It's the player's choice when gambling (off camera).

When it comes to the belief that longer races equals less variance, there is no difference between a race to 100 or multiple races to 15 to 25. However, for streaming purposes, one of those formats is likely to get more views.

It's the players' choice on camera, too.

If the player doesn't play, there is no PPV to stream.

These PPV matches are "promoted" as "$50,000, $100,000, etc. in the middle" as though it is the player's money put in the middle. If that is so, the players determine what is going to be played, not the promoter...unless the PPV payout to the players is way the hell up there.

Unless the whole thing is a scam, where there is nothing in the middle and they are just cutting up the PPV money.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It sounds to me like this match is not only likely, but inevitable. Good news for us fans.

Desmondp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to have a chuckle

Compared to what Earl has said and done over the years, what Filler said and did this year is nothing

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have to have a chuckle

Compared to what Earl has said and done over the years, what Filler said and did this year is nothing

We (USA) drew first blood anyway. Surfing YouTube, I was reminded of Filler's very first Mosconi Cup match in 2017 with Dennis Hatch, hill-hill. Dennis stormed out after the match refusing to shake his hand, totally disrespectful to the new kid. Now he's world champion and has every reason to smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9lryTeDu9k

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We (USA) drew first blood anyway. Surfing YouTube, I was reminded of Filler's very first Mosconi Cup match in 2017 with Dennis Hatch, hill-hill. Dennis stormed out after the match refusing to shake his hand, totally disrespectful to the new kid. Now he's world champion and has every reason to smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9lryTeDu9k

They played again in the final match, and Dennis actually extended his hand to Josh after Josh made the final 9 ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_j2mNOvR7c

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hahahaha, I think everyone is taking this comment too seriously. It is the Mosconi Cup and they have no doubt been prepped to exaggerate their celebrations. Just look at the Marcus/Johan pre-match video. This is the WWF of pool.

In no way does Filler think a few short sets of 9 ball prove anything. Now, he may be a contender for the unofficial money championship, but that will be earned through major titles (which he's already won) and through taking down guys like SVB in long sets (which may happen soon enough). But I say take it for what it is, a funny thing to say to the cameras.

I agree with your assessment.

In time, like all past champs, Josh will move into that position....unless another yiung gun comes up.

But, IMO....now??? Naw, not in a looonnngggg grinding set using the format that SVB loves in 10 ball. Nope, nadda...not gonna happen for a bit.

I would like to see him in box with SVB before SVB gets a lot more age on him. I got a feeling their timing is just a bit off. By the time Josh is seasoned in bug heat for bug cash, I'm afraid that Shane's game may have slipped by then making it....a....we'll never know...

Jeff