Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Is Johan Ruysink out as USA Mosconi Cup Coach after only one year?
Page 6 of 8 « First 456 78

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#76)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member
Cardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-30-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeiberLvr View Post
This post didn't age well.
Thanks for the bump on this thread.
Unfortunately because of the loss of Mr. Bond, we do not have his American billiard radio link from the original post (Mike Howerton had the shows archived and if he PMs me the link, Iíll update the original post with it).
But in the interview, which was a tough one by Mr. Bond, in that he had Coach Johan the day after the difficult loss, where Mosconi Cup rookie Josh Filler was named MVP, and the Euros crushed the USA with incidents such as Dennis Hatch refusing to shake hands with Filler and walking away from Johan after the match....

This shows the seemingly impossible task that Johan was up against.....

After the addition of Jeremy Jones, and two years of boot camps, playing practice tournaments against team Russia, hand selecting a team from observing the various American based tournaments and working with players one on one....The USA is back to back champions. Something that would never have been considered when this thread was made.

If only we had Mr. Bond with us to interview Johan and put a nice bookend to this story arc. Itís pretty cinematic when you stand back and look at it from the wide angle lens.

Old
  (#77)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan Kid View Post
AZ member Mr. Bond did a stellar interview with Coach Johan after the Mosconi Cup and as a very good reporter would, he got right to the point with his questioning. What resulted was a realistic and serious take on the state of American professional pool by Johan. Sounds to me like the jury is still out on whether Johan will even be back next year.

If you haven't listened yet, here is the link:
http://www.americanbilliardradio.com/listen/

(Scroll down to "The 2017 Dream Crusher" stream and play from 6:25 -13:30)

Mr. Bond: If they ask you to come back, will you?
Coach Johan : (notable quotes below not in order)

"I would think about it. I'm not afraid of the challenge but I'm not going to get into a challenge where there's no solution. We need to change a couple of things."

"There needs to be some changes in my approach and how the industry with American pool is set up to give us a chance"

"As long as the industry and backers don't invest in a good education for players and coaches and support the top players, then it will be very hard."

"I go to the world 9 ball championships after this, I fly out tomorrow, these guys go to bar table tournaments because that's how they earn their money...while Europeans play 9 ball on new cloth and new tables two times a month in high pressure tournaments and American players don't."

"There seems to be a gap in the talent development that needs to be fixed."

Does anyone see American pool stepping up and making some changes or is coach Johan out after one year?

Great interview, Mr. Bond, thanks for all that you do.
Johan Ruijsink has become a Mosconi Cup legend...in my opinion...
...11 times as a coach...9 wins...1 draw...one loss
...and has done it with teams that were losing

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by pt109; 11-30-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Old
  (#78)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 02:58 PM

Ruijsink's record:

with Team Europe -- 6 wins (2007, 2010-2014), 1 tie (2006)

with Team USA -- 2 wins (2018-19), 1 loss (2017)

So 8-1-1 overall

Old
  (#79)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Ruijsink's record:

with Team Europe -- 6 wins (2007, 2010-2014), 1 tie (2006)

with Team USA -- 2 wins (2018-19), 1 loss (2017)

So 8-1-1 overall
Thanx......

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#80)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member
Cardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Johan Ruijsink has become a Mosconi Cup legend...in my opinion...
...11 times as a coach...9 wins...1 draw...one loss
...and has done it with teams that were losing
And in only 3 years time, he took a US program that hadnít won in 10 years, to be back to back champions over an impressive European squad.

Just think about how much time he spent away from his family to scout and coach and play psychiatrist to US players in order to get them to believe in a winning mindset.

They never even used to win lags, and here they are 3 years later.

Wow.

I hope he writes a book about it all. I really do.

Old
  (#81)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
And in only 3 years time, he took a US program that hadnít won in 10 years, to be back to back champions over an impressive European squad.

Just think about how much time he spent away from his family to scout and coach and play psychiatrist to US players in order to get them to believe in a winning mindset.

Wow.

Johan Ruijsink -- master pool-team reclamationist.

But don't forget that Team USA won in 2009 (the rookie Hatch MVP year). So Team USA lost only 8 years in a row (7 without Johan) before the recent 2 wins. Team Europe's longest losing streak was 6, a streak that was part of losing 10 of the first 12. And then Johan appeared.

Old
  (#82)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member

11-30-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Johan Ruijsink -- master pool-team reclamationist.

But don't forget that Team USA won in 2009 (the rookie Hatch MVP year). So Team USA lost only 8 years in a row (7 without Johan) before the recent 2 wins. Team Europe's longest losing streak was 6, a streak that was part of losing 10 of the first 12. And then Johan appeared.
Thanks for this....so the book needs to include his Europe turnaround part 1 and USA in part 2. It really is fascinating.

Old
  (#83)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 06:27 PM

Well, like I said, I'm on the outside looking in.

But when a coach does not have management backing and goes 0-11, and then management hires a new coach and they tell him: we'll back you financially so go do what you want and then that coach wins the Super Bowl...is that guy truly the better coach?

Basically it was Stu's post in another thread, and perhaps a couple of others, that got me thinking about this. Here's what Stu said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Count me among those who wondered whether the Johan move was a good one in 2017.

My concern was that he wouldn't be hands on enough if he were living in Russia. He quickly proved me wrong, bringing Mosconi hopefuls and team members to his academy in Russia, attending some major events in the US to watch/scout his players, putting his players in some European and WPA events, providing actual individualized instruction to his players, and arranging team vs team prep matches to further acclimate his team to the Mosconi Cup format. He also did well to bring on Jeremy Jones, one of America's greatest ever tacticians, to help school his team in how to play the percentages, and the two of them have succeeded marvelously together.

Agreed, hats off to Johan … and JJ, too.
So, did JR do all of that stuff on his own (because he has the means and does it out of his own pocket) or because MR provided him with the means to do all that -- and anywhichway does that make him the better coach than say, a MW?

Lou Figueroa

Last edited by lfigueroa; 11-30-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Old
  (#84)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 06:59 PM

Jesus Christ.

Mark Wilson is a top notch instructor but Johan gives him the 7 in coaching.

Old
  (#85)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Wow.

He certainly deserves big credit, but it was Match Room who saw thier product going down hill it was quite obvious the lack of discipline and a culture change needed to happen, heck people were talking about ending it , adding Canada and so on

Insert Wilson who was met with the usual American player belief of what can he teach our players after all if your not a world class player yourself you have nothing to offer , always has been a rediculas notion to me and a few people here , but he laid down the groundwork of a team being a team , he was torched for bringing in young players Sky and Berg , How's that Sky thing worked out lol
Then Matchroom inserted the next level up of a dictatorship , Johan,, I'm not so convinced that wasn't by design all along
I highly doubt he would have enjoyed the same success if had he took over when Mark did ,
Mark softend the blow and laid the ground work for Johan to take over and be better received as it was by the players , not so much by the keyboard junkies but I'm pretty sure they are all on board now with that decision
It now remains to be seen who the next choice is and I'm sure it will be a American, probably JJ and if he can keep it rolling ,

Old
  (#86)
watchez
What time is it?
watchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5625

12-01-2019, 01:14 AM

Johan got to pick his entire team ó MW was nerve afforded that luxury. Not to take anything away from Johan as on paper the Americans were underdogs each year and played exceptionally well to win.

Watchez Is The Teacher ô

Those who dance are always laughed at by those who don't even hear the f'in music - George Carlin RIP

Old
  (#87)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchez View Post
Johan got to pick his entire team ó MW was nerve afforded that luxury. Not to take anything away from Johan as on paper the Americans were underdogs each year and played exceptionally well to win.
Comparison of Fargo Rates between the previous 2 years that USA won and the final 2 years that Mark Wilson was the coach.

2019 (Johan)

Shane (824)
Sky (794)
Bergman (794)
Thorpe (766)
Styer (751)

Avg (786)

2018 (Johan)

Shane (824)
Sky (794)
Thorpe (766)
Corey (782)
Styer (751)

Avg (783)

2016 (Mark)

Shane (824)
Sky (794)
Bergman (794)
Morris (777)
Dechaine (801)

Avg (798)

2015 (Mark)

Shane (824)
Corey (782)
Dechaine (801)
Bergman (794)
Sky (794)

Avg (799)

Old
  (#88)
watchez
What time is it?
watchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeiberLvr View Post
Comparison of Fargo Rates between the previous 2 years that USA won and the final 2 years that Mark Wilson was the coach.

2019 (Johan)

Shane (824)
Sky (794)
Bergman (794)
Thorpe (766)
Styer (751)

Avg (786)

2018 (Johan)

Shane (824)
Sky (794)
Thorpe (766)
Corey (782)
Styer (751)

Avg (783)

2016 (Mark)

Shane (824)
Sky (794)
Bergman (794)
Morris (777)
Dechaine (801)

Avg (798)

2015 (Mark)

Shane (824)
Corey (782)
Dechaine (801)
Bergman (794)
Sky (794)

Avg (799)
That was their Fargo Rate back in those years?

Watchez Is The Teacher ô

Those who dance are always laughed at by those who don't even hear the f'in music - George Carlin RIP

Old
  (#89)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchez View Post
That was their Fargo Rate back in those years?
No

Old
  (#90)
watchez
What time is it?

12-01-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one stroke View Post
No

I knew the answer 😀.

Watchez Is The Teacher ô

Page 6 of 8 « First 456 78

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: