Reload this Page 13 year old would love a camera for Christmas
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
13 year old would love a camera for Christmas
Old
  (#1)
poolfool1957
I know the pieces fit
poolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

13 year old would love a camera for Christmas - 12-01-2019, 08:30 AM

Every year our local pool community raises funds and adopts families for Christmas.
I have a request this year that is a bit of a challenge and would like your help if possible.
Looking for a new or like new camera and if possible, camera kit for a 13 year old boy from one of our adopted "Christmas" families. Cant help but REALLY want to get him a good camera since he didn't ask for video games.
We've all seen the regression towards kids staying in the house and not being willing to go outside and have fun.
This 13 year old wants to go old school and actually get a real camera as opposed to the phone camera's that we all know and love.
The challenge is, do I use the funds raised and fit a very low end camera into the budget? I see that as risking him ending up with junk and then the enthusiasm he had goes away with the low end camera.
The monies raised so far will not allow purchasing any camera over $40.00 so even scouring a lot of Black Friday sales did not lead me to pull the trigger for fear of junk verses quality.
Who can help us out here?
If you have a decent and LIKE NEW camera or camera kit at home doing nothing, this is a chance to put it into the hands of a young person with a desire to explore the world of photography.
Who can help us out here??? You???
Shoot me a pm or reply here and thanks in advance and if you are skeptical of my fundraising motives, Sev and SOFLA can vouch for me.
Politics aside if you will, any positive advice if nothing else is certainly appreciated.

Post a picture of yourself with your shirt off
Bamadog

First off ... nothing will stop ass killings entirely.
LWW

I'm really getting tired of black people........seems they just can't get a clue.
duckie, NPR 09/04/15

group therapy for douchebags
Secaucus Fats

Old
  (#2)
jimmyco
NRA4Life
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-01-2019, 09:09 AM

https://www.adorama.com/inkcpa10sr.h...xoC3tgQAvD_BwE

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#3)
PRED
AzB Silver Member
PRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

12-01-2019, 09:24 AM

Does he have a cell phone? An i-phone takes great pics and a ton of editing apps are available.

IRATUS VULGUS

Old
  (#4)
FairladyZ
The Boss Stooge
FairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-01-2019, 09:25 AM

Is he more interested in/or learning higher end photography? If so, a dSLR (stands for digital single-lens reflex) is the best choice over some random point & shooter. New, they're pricey, but a good used one can be had real reasonable on ebay or Amazon. $40 budget might be a little tight, but an older one could get closer to that...and when I say older, don't be too afraid....camera technology ages very slow compared to everything else 'tech' these days. A 10yr old 10mpx dSLR would be fine.

I personally have one of these (Olympus E-410), my wife gave it to me for Christmas about 12 years ago...I still use it today. It's been a stellar camera. It's 4-digit 'odometer' has been rolled over 3 times; it's take over 30,000 pictures....and still going strong, no plans to upgrade it.

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digit...8XACD7465492W0

If you tolerate this, then your children will be next.

I have never quoted someone in my signature....but I found such a shallow, idiotic, and inane comment like this worthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Everybody already knows that "conservative" means "bigot".

pj
chgo

Old
  (#5)
poolfool1957
I know the pieces fit
poolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond reputepoolfool1957 has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyco View Post
this might be the one....I was hoping to get him an SLR but hitting the $40.00 mark would most likely lead to someone elses junk.

Bamadog

LWW

I'm really getting tired of black people........seems they just can't get a clue.
duckie, NPR 09/04/15

Secaucus Fats

Old
  (#6)
poolfool1957
I know the pieces fit

12-01-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
Is he more interested in/or learning higher end photography? If so, a dSLR (stands for digital single-lens reflex) is the best choice over some random point & shooter. New, they're pricey, but a good used one can be had real reasonable on ebay or Amazon. $40 budget might be a little tight, but an older one could get closer to that...and when I say older, don't be too afraid....camera technology ages very slow compared to everything else 'tech' these days. A 10yr old 10mpx dSLR would be fine.

I personally have one of these (Olympus E-410), my wife gave it to me for Christmas about 12 years ago...I still use it today. It's been a stellar camera. It's 4-digit 'odometer' has been rolled over 3 times; it's take over 30,000 pictures....and still going strong, no plans to upgrade it.

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digit...8XACD7465492W0
your thoughts on this one that jimmyco linked? https://www.adorama.com/inkcpa10sr.h...xoC3tgQAvD_BwE

Bamadog

LWW

duckie, NPR 09/04/15

Secaucus Fats

Old
  (#7)
poolfool1957
I know the pieces fit

12-01-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRED View Post
Does he have a cell phone? An i-phone takes great pics and a ton of editing apps are available.
he probably has a cell phone but he wants an actual camera. I have a Pixel and love the way it functions as a camera but I also have no real desire to get into photography.
He want to go there and does not want to do so with a cell phone camera.
at least he doesn't want GTA5 or 6 or what ever number they are on

Bamadog

LWW

duckie, NPR 09/04/15

Secaucus Fats

Old
  (#8)
FairladyZ
The Boss Stooge
FairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-01-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolfool1957 View Post
your thoughts on this one that jimmyco linked? https://www.adorama.com/inkcpa10sr.h...xoC3tgQAvD_BwE
That would be a good one as well for a point & shooter. Make sure you get a nice big memory card for it, they're usually not included....and they're so cheap now....but it's disheartening for the receiver of the camera to not be able to use it until there's a trip to the store for either batteries and/or memory cards. That camera takes AA batteries, listing says it comes with a pair....but it will suck those down fast.....might grab him a pack of batteries as well.

FWIW, what you're doing for these families is an absolutely beautiful thing. The world could use more like you.

If you tolerate this, then your children will be next.

I have never quoted someone in my signature....but I found such a shallow, idiotic, and inane comment like this worthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Everybody already knows that "conservative" means "bigot".

pj
chgo

Old
  (#9)
poolfool1957
I know the pieces fit

12-01-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
That would be a good one as well for a point & shooter. Make sure you get a nice big memory card for it, they're usually not included....and they're so cheap now....but it's disheartening for the receiver of the camera to not be able to use it until there's a trip to the store for either batteries and/or memory cards. That camera takes AA batteries, listing says it comes with a pair....but it will suck those down fast.....might grab him a pack of batteries as well.

FWIW, what you're doing for these families is an absolutely beautiful thing. The world could use more like you.
I'm really leaning towards this one even as a point and shoot camera...good advice on the memory card a nd batteries.
And I never do this alone...it is our pool community and some others who make it possible. My wife and I do the begging and shopping and then, delivery to the families.
Last year we divided up the families so between 3 households, we all adopted, shopped and delivered to one family each and the fourth family ended up being a local pet rescue. they received as much pet food, pet beds and pet toys as we could afford....it was an awesome experience!

Bamadog

LWW

duckie, NPR 09/04/15

Secaucus Fats

Last edited by poolfool1957; 12-01-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Old
  (#10)
our_auctionguy
The Wall.....
our_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

12-01-2019, 10:27 AM

I'm a low class pawn shop junkie that buys high dollar quality things from pawn shops at tremendous discounts. I bought a camera several years ago that was only 1 yr old at the time and cost $600 new in stores and I paid only $150 for it at the time. I see new and older DSLR cameras and other nice cameras with usb and rechargeable batteries by the boatloads for cheap in pawn shops because few people buy cameras these days since phones take HD selfies and videos, and upload wirelessly right to the internet. Colorado has U.S Pawn chain stores and others everywhere and if you spend an afternoon looking some, you should find a suitable camera for cheap. Pawn shops need cash to operate and make loans to those on hard times with little to no credit and thus all offers are considered. Never pay what the price tag says.

I used to spend Saturdays hitting all the US Pawns in Denver buying solitaires and other diamond jewelry. I had a custom jeweler that would pay me nearly double for whatever I brought him because I only bought nice stones and had bought them for incredible prices. My gun safe is filled with guns from a local chain I have gotten screaming deals on and could sell privately for more $$ than I paid the day I walked out the door. You have to spend time to look and do the research to know what you are looking at but sound like you want something nice for cheap....worth a look.

Amazing what you can find on craigslist as well... Here is a DSLR in Broomfield Colorado for $75.
https://denver.craigslist.org/pho/d/...998914551.html

Last edited by our_auctionguy; 12-01-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Old
  (#11)
jimmyco
NRA4Life
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 10:37 AM

If the budget allows: https://www.target.com/p/energizer-r...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

And check to see the max sd card accepted for the camera. May have limitatations as to functional size.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#12)
PRED
AzB Silver Member
PRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

12-01-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyco View Post
If the budget allows: https://www.target.com/p/energizer-r...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

And check to see the max sd card accepted for the camera. May have limitatations as to functional size.
Free AA and AAA batteries can be had at Harbor Freight with coupon. I haven't bought batteries in years thanks to them.

IRATUS VULGUS

Old
  (#13)
jimmyco
NRA4Life

12-01-2019, 11:29 AM

Awesome.

My Streamlight headlamp uses AAA batteries like there is no tomorrow (no pun intended).

Thanks for the tip.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#14)
poolfool1957
I know the pieces fit

12-01-2019, 02:53 PM

The search has ended successfully. A friend has hooked me up with a Nikon D60 along with a lens for $40.00
Thanks to all for the great advice!

Bamadog

LWW

duckie, NPR 09/04/15

Secaucus Fats

Old
  (#15)
jimmyco
NRA4Life

12-01-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolfool1957 View Post
The search has ended successfully. A friend has hooked me up with a Nikon D60 along with a lens for $40.00
Thanks to all for the great advice!
Ho ho ho.

He will be pleased.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: