Old
  (#46)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

skipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-28-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Since when does one feel time or timing or rhythm in a particular muscle?

You have a range of motion with a beginning and end. The time it takes to complete the range of motion is the motions speed/velocity.

If you need physical representation of time to assist your speed control I suggest a metronome.

But there’s no feeling in muscles as per speed......

How does a runner know he’s running 60 second laps?

A reference and practicing so ones internal clock affixes the tempo of the muscles movements to attain the desired speed/time.

Set range + stroke tempo practice = timing /speed development.

Use scales wit numbers not words like soft med hard. The more set numbers the more accurate the scale .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You are correct in your analysis of numbers vs hard soft, etc. It gets really hard to convey speed once you get down to the really soft shots. As you say, at some point it is all about intuition. A lot of my focus was on really soft tap type shots under 2 diamonds total. Tiny little bump shots and nip safeties where there is almost no stroke at all.

Thanks for the input. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Skip

Last edited by skipbales; 11-28-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Old
  (#47)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

skipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
skip
glad i could help.....
larry
Thanks again, Larry. Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Skip

Old
  (#48)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

11-28-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
I can't believe you've worked with Scott Lee and are arguing the answer. Go to the workbook under mother drill 3. Grab your 25 pennies and dial it down to whatever you feel you need. Half speed? Quarter speed? Whatever. The finish is the same. Why add variables to a known solution?
Yeah Buzz, it is a character flaw. I over analyze things. Thanks for the advice. Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Skip

Old
  (#49)
DTL
SP 219
DTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
It's starting to sound to me like you're not even sure what you are trying to ask. You mentioned CJ getting power from his wrist. How does a player get power from his wrist without flicking it?
Immediately thought the same thing. CJ pre-cocks his wrist in near full radial deviation, essentially making a wrist flick nearly impossible. He probably gets some extra speed using his fingers, by squeezing the cue (a certain way) just before contact.

Old
  (#50)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipbales View Post
You are correct in your analysis of numbers vs hard soft, etc. It gets really hard to convey speed once you get down to the really soft shots. As you say, at some point it is all about intuition. A lot of my focus was on really soft tap type shots under 2 diamonds total. Tiny little bump shots and nip safeties where there is almost no stroke at all.

Thanks for the input. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Skip

No no i never said anything about intuition.

Look whole numbers are all exactly 1 value larger or smaller than the next higher or lower digit.

In math we have to know what ZERO is this is Neutral.....

In pool your neutral is going to be your generally used standard speed shot.....which is 1.5 table lengths of travel.....i know youve taken the class so you understand that i'm NOT giving that speed a value of ZERO.....you know its a 3.

You need to focus on completing your motion to its finish/dead end of the hand at the "chest/nipple" whatever and however your bodys made will determin that exact point.

you pull back the same.....you finish the same......remember penetration of the tip throught the cb past its, lets call it the event horizon....is MUTE and completely of no value or gain in speed or power or rotation etc.

When you have super soft shots.....start with the hand at the finish spot, place the tip a frogs hair away from the CB and pull back small and finish as per normal. Called "short finish" often. it is a complete stroke, despite its at times, extreme compactness.

The stroke is made of 3 movements

1: the gate
2: the stride
3: the glide

what too many do is

1:smoke the tires out the gate
1a: fishtail and wobble the cue because of this
2: recover the errant side to side motion and over accelerate
2a: stroke tightens said side to side fishtailing tho never totally straightens
3: Holy shit i'm coming in hot
3a: Emergency brake/Jake Brake/maybe throw out a parachute

the stroke isnt a top fuel dragster
its more like a 600-1000hp car.....with a 10speed transmission and low gearing

it doesn't need to get any hole shot, it gently rolls out the gate, and CONSISTENT ACCELERATION IS APPLIED and it glides into its top end effortlessly.

you can not have an effortless stroke jerking it out the gate.

put your cue away

stand up straight

arms to your side

now just bend the arm at the elbow and close it till its done closing.

now do it slow as snail shit, now general shot speed, now break speed.....back to snail shit, now tortise......

sit on the toilet.....and while your taking a dump.....work that arm

watch tv.....work that arm

this is not something one remotely needs a cue stick in their hand to master

as a matter of fact....if you put that cue away.....itll help you more not using it and just working that arm.

and notice how nicely you can do all that without the cue in your hand....then suddenly its like its got bad magic and influences the hand in odd ways.....which is nothing but bs.....bad and errant focus on NOTHING.

go search and find anything you can that i've put on this board about all this.

the problem isn't you its your way you are trying to communicate with your brain and body.....put the cue down.....work that arm.

if you cant get it without a cue in your hand.....no reason to pick it back up if mastery is the goal.

wurk wurk wurk wurk dat arm

-Grey Workaholic Ghost

Old
  (#51)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

11-30-2019, 02:15 PM

https://www.facebook.com/RoysBasemen...6348286/?t=985
Orcollo lets the cue slip then catches it. You can see the tip go straight and not dip at all.
FWIW

Old
  (#52)
EddieBme
AzB Silver Member
EddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
Immediately thought the same thing. CJ pre-cocks his wrist in near full radial deviation, essentially making a wrist flick nearly impossible. He probably gets some extra speed using his fingers, by squeezing the cue (a certain way) just before contact.
I thought the same also. I was taught to let the cue hang loose in your hand, just enough grip to keep from dropping it, and the wrist action will be normal/natural.

What professional players use a Punch Stroke? I'd like to learn the punch stroke, but i find myself Slapping at the cue ball, instead of a good follow through.

Old
  (#53)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 06:22 AM

Posted by Gray Ghost above:

When you have super soft shots.....start with the hand at the finish spot, place the tip a frogs hair away from the CB and pull back small and finish as per normal. Called "short finish" often. it is a complete stroke, despite its at times, extreme compactness.

I hope that folks that read this took it to the table............it's the nutz.

Thanks for the tip Keebie.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Old
  (#54)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

12-01-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieBme View Post
I thought the same also. I was taught to let the cue hang loose in your hand, just enough grip to keep from dropping it, and the wrist action will be normal/natural.

What professional players use a Punch Stroke? I'd like to learn the punch stroke, but i find myself Slapping at the cue ball, instead of a good follow through.
Tor Lowry teaches it. He teaches a pendulum, a punch and a slip. The punch he recommends for bar tables and times when your "big table" full stroke isn't working. Most of his stuff is scattered on youtube or you can buy his cd's.

Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: