Ball Identification

mcfly1955

Registered
Hi!

New to the game (haven't played in years) and new to the forum.

Bought a table today (haven't moved to my house yet).

It came with some balls -- trying to see if there is any way to identify them? I don't want to play with cheap balls as I'm getting started and will grab a set of Aramith balls, possibly used...

Pic attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20191130_192642282.jpg
    IMG_20191130_192642282.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 392

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi!

It came with some balls -- trying to see if there is any way to identify them? I don't want to play with cheap balls as I'm getting started and will grab a set of Aramith balls, possibly used...

Pic attached.

Thanks
Were the balls and table used? Did the balls come in a box?

Since you have those balls already, I suggest you use them and see if you have any problems. They look like standard phenolic balls. One thing you might discover is that one of the pockets on your table has an exposed nail head. It is better to find out with those than with an expensive new set.

mcfly1955

Registered
Were the balls and table used? Did the balls come in a box?

Since you have those balls already, I suggest you use them and see if you have any problems. They look like standard phenolic balls. One thing you might discover is that one of the pockets on your table has an exposed nail head. It is better to find out with those than with an expensive new set.

Used brunswick 7' table - no box for the balls.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They're cheap, but playable until they start chipping. ...
Really, really cheap. If you order two sets the total comes to $38 including shipping.

The design of the numbers is like an Aramith design from a while ago. I think that the reds/oranges did not match the Aramith colors very well.

And as RC says, there may eventually be a chipping problem. I think that many years ago Freddie Agnir reported a three ball breaking in two from what must have been an early set of fakes. Incidentally, the rule is that if you pocket a majority of the broken ball, it counts.:grin:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low priced Asian made balls, but they’ll be fine for recreational play. Most recreational players would never know or even appreciate the difference between those and a $400 set of balls. My suggestion - if you decide on getting a nice set, save it for yourself and your more serious pool playing friends/family, but use the cheap ones for anyone else. They’ll never know the difference and your good set will stay in much better condition for much longer.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi!

Pic attached.

Thanks

Yes, they are probably an inexpensive set of balls, but should be fine for playing some bar table (7') pool. They look to be relatively undamaged and may stay that way for years. I would not recommend you paying $1-200 for a premium set of balls right away. You've got a table, you've got balls, you've got cues. ENJOY! :)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you will be playing in places that mostly use bad equipment you may as well use the set you have to be used to it until you get good enough to notice and adjust to the differences. A good set of balls won't rebound as fast and the cueball won't be as lively as in a cheap set, it takes more effort to move the cueball around with a good set of balls. Since most places don't spend a lot on their equipment you are more likely to be using lighter and smaller balls than what you get in a good set.