Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Carbon Fiber at Mosconi Cup
Page 3 of 5 123 45

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-30-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
I wasn't looking at this but since you mention it about all i recall is cf break cues. The lightness/stiffness makes for awesome breaks. A friend has a Cuetec and it breaks super good. First time i used it i made four balls in 10b on a bar-box like it was nothing.
Yes, Iím guessing far more pro players use carbon fiber for their break shafts than they do for their playing shafts. The accuracy that high-level players need to strike that head ball precisely where they want to on the break is crucial for pro level players, and a CF shaft is extremely helpful in doing that.

I was told this firsthand from a known pro level player who was beaten in a challenge match versus another known pro level player who was using a CF shaft for breaking, who basically won the match mainly due to his break being far more consistent and effective.

Old
  (#32)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
Yes, Iím guessing far more pro players use carbon fiber for their break shafts than they do for their playing shafts. The accuracy that high-level players need to strike that head ball precisely where they want to on the break is crucial for pro level players, and a CF shaft is extremely helpful in doing that.

I was told this firsthand from a known pro level player who was beaten in a challenge match versus another known pro level player who was using a CF shaft for breaking, who basically won the match mainly due to his break being far more consistent and effective.
The energy transfer of the Cuetec i tried was something else. You could get same ball speed with less effort thus better control. IMO the properties of cf are even better suited to breaking than playing.

Old
  (#33)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 08:31 AM

Here’s what I remember.

SVB: play CF, break CF
Woodward: play wood, break wood
Bergman: play wood, break CF
Styer: play CF, break CF
Thorpe: play CF, break CF
Filler: play wood, break CF
Shaw: play wood, break wood
Kaci: play wood, break CF
Feijen: play wood, break wood
Kazakis: play wood, break wood

3 of them play wood, break CF. No one play CF, break wood.

Old
  (#34)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 09:59 AM

Two things:

First I don't know if it would improve my game and I'm cheap.

Second it would require learning how the cue ball reacts off the new shaft.

They will have to rip my maple shaft from my cold dead hands - okay maybe that's a bit extreme. Bottom line I'm cheap and lazy.

Old
  (#35)
MagicMcNamara
AzB Bronze Member
MagicMcNamara has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMcNamara has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMcNamara has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMcNamara has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMcNamara has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMcNamara has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMcNamara has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMcNamara has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMcNamara has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMcNamara has a reputation beyond reputeMagicMcNamara has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 10:43 AM

To speak from my experience using cf vs wood. I owned a couple different Bk Rush's and they were the best break cue I've ever owned and I have a really good break. I believe the stiffness and the thicker shaft play a huge part in that. I recently had some brain issues and sold all of my Predator cues because I thought I wanted to go back to wood. Huge mistake for me. I bought an old Canadian Falcon breaker and it is terrible comparatively speaking. I bought a mezz with the ignite 12.2 carbon shaft and it's a great shaft but it's too small of a diameter for me. What I've noticed from using all of the predator shafts from the 314 1,2,3 to the z2,3, the vantage and both Revos.. what it comes down to really is if you're comfortable with the balance of your cue and the diameter and taper of your shaft. That's literally all it is. The feel of your equipment. Diameter of the shaft for me from 12.5 to 12.9 with a pro taper is all I need.

Now I use the wx700 and I'm comfortable but I definitely miss the Revo 12.9. And really miss the Bk Rush

Old
  (#36)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.
j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rosato View Post
I noticed only 3 of 10 players are using CF for their playing cue, Thorpe, Styer, and SVB. Not talking about break cues here or LD maple, only CF for playing cues.
Seems it would be a gentlemanly gesture if some of the CF proponents here on Az would enlighten these folks to the benefits of CF, to both teams, and about how it would add a ball or 2 to their game.
I've watched every match so far and can only imagine the level of play I would witness if they all used CF.
Of course they could possibly be real hard-headed like me and use only maple.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
The effects of CF at the professional level, would be difficult to quantify, IMO.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Old
  (#37)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2pac View Post
The effects of CF at the professional level, would be difficult to quantify, IMO.
Now that's the best answer I've heard so far. I just grabbed my pencil and made notes here. Thanks Pacino!

Old
  (#38)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.
j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Now that's the best answer I've heard so far. I just grabbed my pencil and made notes here. Thanks Pacino!
Always happy to assist Johnny.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Old
  (#39)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Here’s what I remember.

SVB: play CF, break CF
Woodward: play wood, break wood
Bergman: play wood, break CF
Styer: play CF, break CF
Thorpe: play CF, break CF
Filler: play wood, break CF
Shaw: play wood, break wood
Kaci: play wood, break CF
Feijen: play wood, break wood
Kazakis: play wood, break wood

3 of them play wood, break CF. No one play CF, break wood.
The fact that all 3 of the 10 Mosconi Cup players that play with CF shafts also break with CF shafts, and of the 7 others that play with wood shafts, 3 of those 7 break with CF shafts confirms what I stated earlier - on the pro level, even many of the ones who haven't made the switch to CF shafts as their playing shafts have figured out that CF shafts do improve the accuracy and effectiveness of their break.

Old
  (#40)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-02-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I noticed only 3 of 10 players are using CF for their playing cue, Thorpe, Styer, and SVB. Not talking about break cues here or LD maple, only CF for playing cues.
Seems it would be a gentlemanly gesture if some of the CF proponents here on Az would enlighten these folks to the benefits of CF, to both teams, and about how it would add a ball or 2 to their game.
I've watched every match so far and can only imagine the level of play I would witness if they all used CF.
Of course they could possibly be real hard-headed like me and use only maple.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
If you play better with a carbon fiber shaft, then it's a good idea to use it. If you don't, then you would not. I play better with one most of the time so I tend to use the Revo more than other shafts I have.

It's a myth that any shaft will make someone play better, it's only true if that specific person can play better with some specific shaft. I can get more spin with pocketing balls better when I use the Revo so I use it. It also seems to help me shoot over a ball straighter.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#41)
trob
AzB Silver Member
trob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
If you play better with a carbon fiber shaft, then it's a good idea to use it. If you don't, then you would not. I play better with one most of the time so I tend to use the Revo more than other shafts I have.

It's a myth that any shaft will make someone play better, it's only true if that specific person can play better with some specific shaft. I can get more spin with pocketing balls better when I use the Revo so I use it. It also seems to help me shoot over a ball straighter.
No buddy says it will make you better but the people that hate them and hate change lol Iíve never heard anyone claim they were terrible and got a revo and started running racks . Thatís what all the close minded old men who hate change on here will say to put them down. Itís just a different hit then a wood shaft. Lol Thatís it! If you like the different hit great! If you donít then play with something else!

JUST A REMINDER
Attached Images

Player........... road line with 12.9 revo and 314/3
Break cue.... bk3
jump cue..... Fury
Case............ Molinari butterfly

If you live with one foot in the future and one in the past you'll piss all over the present.

Old
  (#42)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy View Post
People are always hyping the latest gimmick that is going to change the sports world. This is mostly for one reason it is because they or some pal has a financial intrest in the product. MONEY IN THEIR POCKET.

When your game be it Pool, Golf, Tennis, or fill in the blank, gets to a Professional Level. Then maybe the latest greatest gizmo might inprove it that fraction to make a difference in making you Suoper pro. Like Tiger Woods is in Golf BTW Tiger works real hard to stay great, as it not a magic pill he swallow before each Tournment, it's work.

Bottom line, Tiger Woods is not going to win many championships with my clubs, is he? I have a really old set, as I don't golf much, but just have a set for the few times I do. THey are probably 30 years old. How many strokes do you think it will cost him using my irons in a match? 3,4, maybe more ? I dunno, but I bet he would never take the chance.

What about if baseball players used the same gloves as Babe Ruth? Do you think they'd commit more or fewer errors ? asking for a friend

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#43)
troyboy30
Fish
troyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2019, 08:14 AM

tiger woods would play great with any clubs

Old
  (#44)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy View Post
People are always hyping the latest gimmick that is going to change the sports world. This is mostly for one reason it is because they or some pal has a financial intrest in the product. MONEY IN THEIR POCKET.

When your game be it Pool, Golf, Tennis, or fill in the blank, gets to a Professional Level. Then maybe the latest greatest gizmo might inprove it that fraction to make a difference in making you Suoper pro. Like Tiger Woods is in Golf BTW Tiger works real hard to stay great, as it not a magic pill he swallow before each Tournment, it's work.

There is this fellow on AZB who sells and Aiming System DVD that is told to be the key to making anyone a great player. Tournment winner, world class player.

So someone list the name, or names of buyers of the Aiming System who have improved and become TOUR PROFESSIONALS, make a fabulous living off of Pool because they now know how to aim thank to this secret aiming system.

Think I made my point about gimmicks like Bass Lures, that Catch more Fisherman, then Trophy Bass.
Tyler Styer

Old
  (#45)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyboy30 View Post
tiger woods would play great with any clubs
Yes but not as good as with clubs he plays best with. "Most" skill is in the player, but equipment makes a difference, enough that it can easily make a difference of a win vs a loss. Otherwise snipers would not spend hours prepping their weapons and ammunition, hockey players would not have specific sticks for their use, baseball players would be using the same size and shape mitt to catch, etc... Many races are won by fractions of a second, those suits for swimming that people were saying were too good, new shoes for running, all equipment based only to improve performance.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Page 3 of 5 123 45

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: