Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Is Johan Ruysink out as USA Mosconi Cup Coach after only one year?
Page 8 of 8 « First 678

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#106)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

12-03-2019, 04:23 PM

Mark is a top-shelf coach, as well! For what he had to work with $$$-wise, he did a great job with his MC teams, bringing together a small bunch of young gunslingers, who on any other day would be trying to match up with each other, and turning them into teammates who learned respect, teamwork, and honor on a world stage. Add to that, he has a decades long history of coaching younger players (Justin Bergman among them). I was privileged to teach with Mark and Jerry Briesath, for three years in the early '90s, helping lay the groundwork for future jr champions to learn from, and countless amateur players that Mark has taught and coached. I am honored to call him a mentor, a role model, but most important...my friend...just like you Stu!

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Ditto. Mark Wilson is a fantastic instructor, the author of a fine book on pool, and an enduring credit to our sport. His Mosconi teams always exhibited professionalism. All hail Johan but Mark was, is, and will always be one of the gems of American pool and is to be admired for his many contributions to pool and its growth.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#107)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-03-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
I've always been results oriented. Mark is a good friend of mine and unfortunately his teams did not win. I don't know Johann well at all and his teams did win. IMO he was doing something right so more power to him.

I think even Mark would give credit to Johann for a job well done.

Earlier this year, Gail and I traveled through Columbia and Peru.

During our trip through Columbia we had the opportunity to visit a working coffee farm. There, over half a day, they taught us about the whole process of making coffee from seedling to the best cup of coffee and coffee liquor we've ever had in our lives. We've done similar things like that, visiting wineries in Napa, Tuscany, Germany, Greece, and Spain.

And what I think we've both learned is that while it's great to be results orientated, learning about and being to appreciate the process is even more important, because it allows you to knowledgeably judge the final results.

I don't know what the exact process was that JR and MW used. What I can understand is that one of them apparently got substantially more support than the other and that, if you are a true fan, is an incredibly important factor to consider before you go off and proclaim one guy the superior coach to the other.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited by lfigueroa; 12-04-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Old
  (#108)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

12-04-2019, 04:02 AM

Not sure why people feel like they have to defend MW.

Saying that JR is a better coach isn't a slight against MW.

There is a difference between being a great coach and a great instructor.

Old
  (#109)
kollegedave
AzB Silver Member
kollegedave has a reputation beyond reputekollegedave has a reputation beyond reputekollegedave has a reputation beyond reputekollegedave has a reputation beyond reputekollegedave has a reputation beyond reputekollegedave has a reputation beyond reputekollegedave has a reputation beyond reputekollegedave has a reputation beyond reputekollegedave has a reputation beyond reputekollegedave has a reputation beyond reputekollegedave has a reputation beyond repute

12-04-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeiberLvr View Post
Not sure why people feel like they have to defend MW.

Saying that JR is a better coach isn't a slight against MW.

There is a difference between being a great coach and a great instructor.
Saying JR is a better coach than MW is slighting MW.

Additionally, saying this without evidence to support it, is even worse.

There maybe a difference between a great coach and a great instructor.

Count me as one that is skeptical a coach matters that much in the MC.

It might be that JR is better at everything in life when compared to all of us pathetic underlings. However, before I would be willing to accept this notion, I would require some evidence. Additionally, before I made that assertion online to countless other people, I would intend to produce evidence.

Personally, I don't know who is better. It does seem like JR got support that MW did not get, and once JR out ran the nuts (winning twice), he hit the road.

kollegedave

Old
  (#110)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

12-04-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollegedave View Post
Saying JR is a better coach than MW is slighting MW.

Additionally, saying this without evidence to support it, is even worse.

There maybe a difference between a great coach and a great instructor.

Count me as one that is skeptical a coach matters that much in the MC.

It might be that JR is better at everything in life when compared to all of us pathetic underlings. However, before I would be willing to accept this notion, I would require some evidence. Additionally, before I made that assertion online to countless other people, I would intend to produce evidence.

Personally, I don't know who is better. It does seem like JR got support that MW did not get, and once JR out ran the nuts (winning twice), he hit the road.

kollegedave
I guess his overall record (not just as coach of the USA team) would be enough evidence.

Facts are facts.

To some.

Old
  (#111)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

12-04-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
Earlier this year, Gail and I traveled through Columbia and Peru.

During our trip through Columbia we had the opportunity to visit a working coffee farm. There, over half a day, they taught us about the whole process of making coffee from seedling to the best cup of coffee and coffee liquor we've ever had in our lives. We've done similar things like that, visiting wineries in Napa, Tuscany, Germany, Greece, and Spain.

And what I think we've both learned is that while it's great to be results orientated, learning about and being to appreciate the process is even more important, because it allows you to knowledgeably judge the final results.

I don't know what the exact process was the JR and MW used. What I can understand is that one of them apparently got substantially more support than the other and that, if you are a true fan, is an incredibly important factor to consider before you go off and proclaim one guy the superior coach to the other.

Lou Figueroa

I'm jealous!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Page 8 of 8 « First 678

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: