Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Top 10 Secrets of a Good Draw Shot
Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Top 10 Secrets of a Good Draw Shot
Old
  (#1)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute
 
dr_dave's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 10,148
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Colorado
   
Exclamation Top 10 Secrets of a Good Draw Shot - 12-05-2019, 07:53 AM

Samm Diep and I just posted a new video demonstrating the Top 10 tips for improving your draw shot. Actually, most of the advice applies to all shots, but the focus is on how to get good draw. Here it is:


Check it out. The tips (with YouTube time-stamp links) include:

1. Chalk Up (0:40)
2. Aim Low and Carefully (1:28)
3. Warm-Up and Check (2:13)
---- 3a. Eye Pattern (2:36)
4. Keep Cue Level (3:36)
5. Go Back Slow (4:23)
6. Accelerate Smoothly (5:09)
---- 6a. Draw Distance Control (5:52)
7. Keep Your Grip Relaxed (6:48)
8. Be Still (8:52)
9. Don’t Drop Your Elbow (9:20)
10. Finish the Stroke (10:55)

Useful Draw Practice Drills (12:16)
---- side pocket drill (12:19)
---- BU Exam I - F4 - Progressive Practice drill (12:55)
---- Three-times-the-angle "good action" draw drill (13:42)

I look forward to hearing what you guys think about the video.

Enjoy,
Dave
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute
 
dr_dave's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 10,148
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Colorado
   
12-05-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
Samm Diep and I just posted a new video demonstrating the Top 10 tips for improving your draw shot. Actually, most of the advice applies to all shots, but the focus is on how to get good draw. Here it is:


Check it out. The tips (with YouTube time-stamp links) include:

1. Chalk Up (0:40)
2. Aim Low and Carefully (1:28)
3. Warm-Up and Check (2:13)
---- 3a. Eye Pattern (2:36)
4. Keep Cue Level (3:36)
5. Go Back Slow (4:23)
6. Accelerate Smoothly (5:09)
---- 6a. Draw Distance Control (5:52)
7. Keep Your Grip Relaxed (6:48)
8. Be Still (8:52)
9. Don’t Drop Your Elbow (9:20)
10. Finish the Stroke (10:55)

Useful Draw Practice Drills (12:16)
---- side pocket drill (12:19)
---- BU Exam I - F4 - Progressive Practice drill (12:55)
---- Three-times-the-angle "good action" draw drill (13:42)

I look forward to hearing what you guys think about the video.

Enjoy,
Dave
I have a lot more videos like this planned for the near future. Does anybody have any suggestions for how the presentation style might be improved?

Should I try to keep the videos shorter, or is this length OK?

Should I include lots of game situation examples, or is sticking to the important principles (without game examples) OK?

Are there any topics you really want to see covered in detail?

Do you have any other advice or recommendations?

Thanks,
Dave
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
strmanglr scott
AzB Silver Member
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,450
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
   
12-05-2019, 02:21 PM

I watched that last night, good stuff. I know a couple people who will get a lot out of it.

Thought the length was good.

Overall good presentation.

I think draw should be paired with stop and follow. It's a skill set that is critical to CB control.

Game situation shots show the why the skill is important. It's the benefit. I've been in sales for 20 years. The same reason exists for everything that is sold, the benefit to the consumer. You in a way Dave are selling a feature people should have in their game, the benefit to the player is shown. I buy in and continue to watch your video and look forward to the next.


The rail is your best friend.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute
 
dr_dave's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 10,148
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Colorado
   
12-05-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
I watched that last night, good stuff. I know a couple people who will get a lot out of it.

Thought the length was good.

Overall good presentation.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
I think draw should be paired with stop and follow. It's a skill set that is critical to CB control.
I think I cover this fairly well in the following video:


But please let me know if you think I left out anything important.


Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
Game situation shots show the why the skill is important. It's the benefit. I've been in sales for 20 years. The same reason exists for everything that is sold, the benefit to the consumer. You in a way Dave are selling a feature people should have in their game, the benefit to the player is shown. I buy in and continue to watch your video and look forward to the next.
I'm glad to hear it.

Thank you for your input,
Dave
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
pab
Center ball can do it all
pab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond repute
 
pab's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Las Vegas
   
12-05-2019, 05:46 PM

Suggestions for how the presentation style might be improved? - I think the presentation style is terrific. It kept me engaged and focused.

Is the length OK? - The length was perfect. It was like a woman's skirt - short enough to be interesting, long enough to cover the subject.

Include game situation examples or no? - Definitely include game situation examples and in a way that the underlying concepts can be recognized in similar situations too.

Are there any topics that should be covered in detail? - I think you covered everything well. I didn't know about lining up the stripes trick to see if is a 1/2-ball in section 2 - that was cool.

Do you have any other advice or recommendations? - Maybe post on here before your next video, reveal the subject and ask for any tips. You'll probably already have most or all of the material already set, but there may be information or ideas in the responses that you'll want to include in the video. Maybe not, too. :-)

For example, I remember a tip from another video regarding the draw shot (Ray Martin maybe?) where he suggests picturing the CB about 6" in front of where it actually is and pretend to stroke towards that CB. It can help with the follow through and to ensure you accelerate the cue through the CB. Whether you would include that or not would of course be your call, but it might reveal some things that weren't originally considered.

Overall, I think your work is terrific. It has helped me tremendously and I'm very grateful. Thank you.


Playing Cue - Jacoby, Edge Hybrid shaft
Break Cue - Jacoby, Heavy Hitter
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 13,399
vCash: 500
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: Oct 2005
   
12-05-2019, 06:50 PM

Hit it low.

Lou Figueroa
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 977
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jan 2019
   
12-05-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
Hit it low.

Lou Figueroa
And crisply.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute
 
sjm's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 16,273
vCash: 525
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New York, NY
   
12-05-2019, 07:26 PM

Well done, Dave.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
tuffstuff07
AzB Silver Member
tuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 728
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Join Date: Oct 2008
   
12-06-2019, 01:51 AM

I watched it yesterday on a break at work and thought it was good
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute
 
dr_dave's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 10,148
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Colorado
   
12-06-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
Suggestions for how the presentation style might be improved? - I think the presentation style is terrific. It kept me engaged and focused.

Is the length OK? - The length was perfect. It was like a woman's skirt - short enough to be interesting, long enough to cover the subject.

Include game situation examples or no? - Definitely include game situation examples and in a way that the underlying concepts can be recognized in similar situations too.

Are there any topics that should be covered in detail? - I think you covered everything well. I didn't know about lining up the stripes trick to see if is a 1/2-ball in section 2 - that was cool.

Do you have any other advice or recommendations? - Maybe post on here before your next video, reveal the subject and ask for any tips. You'll probably already have most or all of the material already set, but there may be information or ideas in the responses that you'll want to include in the video. Maybe not, too. :-)

For example, I remember a tip from another video regarding the draw shot (Ray Martin maybe?) where he suggests picturing the CB about 6" in front of where it actually is and pretend to stroke towards that CB. It can help with the follow through and to ensure you accelerate the cue through the CB. Whether you would include that or not would of course be your call, but it might reveal some things that weren't originally considered.

Overall, I think your work is terrific. It has helped me tremendously and I'm very grateful. Thank you.
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Great idea about posting my future video plans for input before I film. I've done that for other videos in the past, and it was helpful.

Good extra advice concerning draw (stroke to imaginary CB past actual CB).

Best regards,
Dave
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute
 
dr_dave's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 10,148
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Colorado
   
12-06-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
Hit it low.
... with the right speed, and without miscuing; and draw the CB the desired amount; and do all of this with accuracy and consistency. For the people who have trouble with any of this, the advice in the video can help.

Regards,
Dave
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute
 
dr_dave's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 10,148
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Colorado
   
12-06-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Well done, Dave.
Thanks.

I'm glad you liked it,
Dave
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute
 
dr_dave's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 10,148
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Colorado
   
12-06-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff07 View Post
I watched it yesterday on a break at work and thought it was good
I am honored you used your break time to watch one of my videos.

Thanks,
Dave
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute
 
CocoboloCowboy's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 27,689
vCash: 1538
iTrader: 91 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2007
   
12-06-2019, 07:22 AM

Draw is harder to control then follow IMHO. . Being really good at anything, in most cases requires time, practice, and effort.

The one thing you can be great at that requires zero effort is failure.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute
 
BC21's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: West Virginia
   
12-06-2019, 07:45 AM

Another good video, Dave.

I always favored this little draw challenge:

Place a ball on the foot spot and place the cb about 8 inches away, lined up to shoot the ball straight into one of the nearest corner pockets. Draw the cb back about 6 to 8 inches and leave the cb where it stops, then spot another ball and shoot it the same way, drawing the cb back and shooting the next shot again from wherever the cb ends up. See how many shots you can make before getting so far out of line that the cb ends up hitting a rail.

This helps with develop a consistent short draw, but also helps develop aiming accuracy.


POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.