Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Your percent for this drill?
Page 3 of 7 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-06-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
This is really table dependent. New cloth or soft pockets and you might never miss. Shimmed up pockets and worn cloth no one has to make all 15.
This! Perfectly stated TM. What would a Ghost equivalent be? 5 ball ghost race to 3?

Old
  (#32)
pab
Center ball can do it all
pab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
This is really table dependent. New cloth or soft pockets and you might never miss. Shimmed up pockets and worn cloth no one has to make all 15.
First - let me apologize to the OP - I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but you've got me thinking and that is dangerous.

Tin Man - I understand why shimmed pockets would make the drill more difficult, but why would worn cloth when the shots are essentially straight-in? Not being a jerk, I genuinely do not know.

Playing Cue - Jacoby, Edge Hybrid shaft
Break Cue - Jacoby, Heavy Hitter

worn cloth
Old
  (#33)
Tin Man
AzB Silver Member

Tin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond repute

worn cloth - 12-06-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
First - let me apologize to the OP - I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but you've got me thinking and that is dangerous.

Tin Man - I understand why shimmed pockets would make the drill more difficult, but why would worn cloth when the shots are essentially straight-in? Not being a jerk, I genuinely do not know.
If the ball is hit in the center of the pocket the cloth and ball conditions won't matter. The difference is visible when the ball is hit such that it brushes the side rail or hits the outer tip of the pocket on the end rail side.

With polished balls and new cloth the pocket will allow more shots to work their way into the jaws and into the pocket. With worn cloth and dirtier balls the object balls will jar up. When they scrape the side rail they pick up reverse english which grabs much more upon hitting the other side of the pocket facing, making the ball seem to fight going into the pocket, then the ball just seems to lose steam and hang. With new cloth they worm their way in. This is most evident on shots down the rail, but even on center table shots the pockets will be much more accepting.

My diamond table has worn cloth but when I vaccuum it and polish the balls it plays fairly soft. When I don't it becomes pretty unforgiving.

Demetrius Jelatis
www.mnpoolbootcamp.com/

Old
  (#34)
TEAM SLO
AzB Silver Member
TEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2019, 03:40 PM

Jin has done this drill on and off... he averages about 1 miss per set. Some days he gets all, but others he can have a brain fart and miss once or twice per setup.

It sounds and looks easy on paper but isn't.... plus with 4" pockets, some of the shots have a very small margin or error.

Old
  (#35)
pab
Center ball can do it all
pab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
If the ball is hit in the center of the pocket the cloth and ball conditions won't matter. The difference is visible when the ball is hit such that it brushes the side rail or hits the outer tip of the pocket on the end rail side.

With polished balls and new cloth the pocket will allow more shots to work their way into the jaws and into the pocket. With worn cloth and dirtier balls the object balls will jar up. When they scrape the side rail they pick up reverse english which grabs much more upon hitting the other side of the pocket facing, making the ball seem to fight going into the pocket, then the ball just seems to lose steam and hang. With new cloth they worm their way in. This is most evident on shots down the rail, but even on center table shots the pockets will be much more accepting.

My diamond table has worn cloth but when I vaccuum it and polish the balls it plays fairly soft. When I don't it becomes pretty unforgiving.
That is really interesting. Thank you for your detailed response. Much appreciated.

Playing Cue - Jacoby, Edge Hybrid shaft
Break Cue - Jacoby, Heavy Hitter

Old
  (#36)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

12-06-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
If the ball is hit in the center of the pocket the cloth and ball conditions won't matter. The difference is visible when the ball is hit such that it brushes the side rail or hits the outer tip of the pocket on the end rail side...
Thanks for posting that. I was going to make a new thread about the same question.

Run racks, not your mouth.

ghost equivalent
Old
  (#37)
Tin Man
AzB Silver Member

Tin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond repute

ghost equivalent - 12-06-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecentShot View Post
This! Perfectly stated TM. What would a Ghost equivalent be? 5 ball ghost race to 3?
Thank you. I'm not sure what you mean though. What would be the ghost equivalent of making all 15 shots?

I think I'm 90-95% on the 6 ball ghost. If you're measuring how often I make all 15 of those shots on a comparable table I'd imagine I'd be 50-75%. So I'd rather play the 6 ball ghost a race to 3 than race to 3 against the drill requiring me to make all 15.

But then again, my cue ball and patterns are tight and the shots I'd have would be easier in general than even these in the drill. I rarely fumble routine run outs. Having to pocket 6 balls is simply easier than trying to pocket 15 balls, any of which could be missed due to carelessness or a slip of execution.

But if my daughter (who has a good stroke and shoots very straight but doesn't play multi-rail position or use sidespin well just yet) took this on she'd probably be 50/50 to complete this drill and she might lose to the 3 ball ghost.

So, as I think of your question, the ghost equivalent would probably say more about your ability to run balls in rotation than it says about the difficulty of the straight in shots.

Demetrius Jelatis
www.mnpoolbootcamp.com/

Old
  (#38)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post

New cloth is extremely slippery, old cloth VERY grabby. (860 HR after a few years of play).

Old
  (#39)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member

12-06-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I'm not sure what you mean though. What would be the ghost equivalent of making all 15 shots?

I think I'm 90-95% on the 6 ball ghost. If you're measuring how often I make all 15 of those shots on a comparable table I'd imagine I'd be 50-75%. So I'd rather play the 6 ball ghost a race to 3 than race to 3 against the drill requiring me to make all 15.

But then again, my cue ball and patterns are tight and the shots I'd have would be easier in general than even these in the drill. I rarely fumble routine run outs. Having to pocket 6 balls is simply easier than trying to pocket 15 balls, any of which could be missed due to carelessness or a slip of execution.

But if my daughter (who has a good stroke and shoots very straight but doesn't play multi-rail position or use sidespin well just yet) took this on she'd probably be 50/50 to complete this drill and she might lose to the 3 ball ghost.

So, as I think of your question, the ghost equivalent would probably say more about your ability to run balls in rotation than it says about the difficulty of the straight in shots.
Thanks for your response TM. Interesting.

Old
  (#40)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Taking ball in hand on each shot doesn’t seem like an interesting or useful drill. I’ve usually seen this drill where you only take ball in hand on the first shot, with variations where you try not to touch a rail.
That's what I do , I try to sink half in one side the remainder in the other , or I alternate one side to the other hitting the rail , I hardly ever sink them all but it's a better drill than just ball in hand

Last edited by one stroke; 12-06-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Old
  (#41)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

12-06-2019, 07:00 PM

I think you’d have to be a real strong B player to bet 100 per attempt that you’ll make all 15, or you’d go bust. That’s about a 600 Fargo in my mind.

Old
  (#42)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
I think you’d have to be a real strong B player to bet 100 per attempt that you’ll make all 15, or you’d go bust. That’s about a 600 Fargo in my mind.
I'm rated a 539, and would bet I could make 15/15

Old
  (#43)
misterpoole
AzB Silver Member
misterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2019, 09:20 PM

Yes, so lets make this drill more productive. Shoot the ball closest to the rail on both sides. These are the hardest shots. Over and over. Increase the distance between cue and object ball. Do this on a 9ft table. Cloth is not new (thank you captain Obvious) Also assume pockets are not buckets. You will quickly see if you are hItting this straight shot properly. Its a good drill

Last edited by misterpoole; 12-06-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Old
  (#44)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2019, 09:29 PM

Shoot this with a pure stop shot and if your cueball moves more than 1/4 of an inch, in any direction it's a miss. Or if the ball doesn't go in.
If people still gambled, I would have busted a lot of C and B players with this one.
Even goofs can do it with a little draw on each shot, but making them stop the ball is a whole different animal.
Usually, after averaging missing about 3 out of 5, they quit.
If you play pretty good , move back to the first diamond with the cueball and watch your make level go down.
You still need to stop the cue ball though
I remember how shocked I was when I couldn't make all 15 balls every time,I had been really sick for about 7 or 8 years and hadn't played much, and I was not able to get down on a ball like I used to, but still ,it's straight in with ball in hand.
Tres Kane from Phoenix showed me this, to help my pocketing and I thank him immensely.
Most of you guys who would really benefit from doing this correctly , will not even deem it worth trying , so you won't find out that it is harder than it looks for many people.
If you have any mechanics flaws ........... they will show up here!

Old
  (#45)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpoole View Post
Yes, so lets make this drill more productive. Shoot the ball closest to the rail on both sides. These are the hardest shots. Over and over. Increase the distance between cue and object ball. Do this on a 9ft table. Cloth is not new OBVIOUSLY. Also assume pockets are not buckets. You will quickly see if you are hItting this shot properly. Its a good drill
When I first started doing this drill ,I was shocked at how poorly I was shooting the one down the left rail , I wasn't making a solid enough bridge was the answer.
i also had trouble with the number 4 balls out on both sides , I saw that angle a little funny and found that I needed to change my head position to the inside a bit on that angle.
I could have missed those shots the rest of my life and never realised they were different , so if for no other reason , the drill helped me there a great deal.

Page 3 of 7 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: