Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How does one get pro status?
Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-22-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecentShot View Post
Win a local pool hall tournament. Then go to a regional and win that. Then go to the DCC and cash in the 9 Ball. It is kind of a bummer because what typically gets people a Fargo is done on bar tables with the BCA so translating that to a 9 foot? I don't know, I'm not Mike Page.

Not exactly the same but I've cashed in the DCC 1pocket many times but am nowhere near pro status.

I think you need to win or finish really high in a couple of big events, then perhaps you're consider to be at that level.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#32)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

11-22-2019, 06:59 PM

It just dawned on me that OP ask about pro status, not "pro speed". I guess one could play pro speed but, still not have pro status as a rating or reputation.

Big difference ^^^^^^^.

OP:

Disregard my advice then.

Doing what I did will just let "you" know where you stand but, "nobody else" will ever know your "status" as a pro.

Only you....

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Last edited by jrctherake; 11-22-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Old
  (#33)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

11-22-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
Not exactly the same but I've cashed in the DCC 1pocket many times but am nowhere near pro status.

I think you need to win or finish really high in a couple of big events, then perhaps you're consider to be at that level.

Lou Figueroa
Lou, I agree.

However, many pros admit that "anyone" that can run 100+ balls even once in their life, are capable of playing at lower-level pro speed.

Haven't you had a at least one 100+ ball run? I think I remember hearing you did.

If so, well, consider yourself to at least be a person "capable" of pros speed on your very best days.

I know some may not agree but, if the big boys agree, well, who are we or any other amateur to disagree with them.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

kinda like being the big dog
Old
  (#34)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

kinda like being the big dog - 11-22-2019, 09:25 PM

With there being no real pro tour there is only one way to define a pro, look at the dictionary. Do you make a living off of winnings on the table? That lets out most of the people we consider pro's!

Respectfully, the ghost will give some indication of your mastery of fundamentals but you only learn your real speed by getting in the box with other players. Everybody knows stories of practice champions that fold like a cheap rug under the pressure of playing somebody else.

The ghost can tell you where you are not at, it can only tell you so much about where you are at. Spend six or eight hours playing a well known player for enough to get their best game and you get a pretty good indication where you are at. Do that over and over and other people will start calling you a pro. It's a lot like being the big dog around town. You can't claim the title for yourself, others have to give it to you. Go very deep in big events and you will get labeled pro quick enough!

Hu

Old
  (#35)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

11-22-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissedOut View Post
For the low price of $49.99 I can send you a lovely certificate proclaiming you to be a professional pool player. Free shipping and handling.
How much for a gynecologist certificate?

I don't like making plans for the day, because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.

Player: Lucasi w/ Cynergy
Breaker: Poison
Case: JB Cases

Old
  (#36)
Nick B
This is gonna hurt
Nick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-22-2019, 09:53 PM

Old joke:
What's the difference between a Professional Pool Player and a Large Pizza?

Answer:
A large Pizza can feed a family of four.

Cue: Foster, Break/Jump: Foster
http://www.fostercues.com/
Name: Nick Beretanos

Old
  (#37)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member

11-22-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
How much for a gynecologist certificate?
I got my certificate online but, I've had a problem finding patients other than one tranny that tried to sneak in on a casual Friday. The tranny gave me a bad review.

Jeff

Old
  (#38)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member

11-22-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Old joke:
What's the difference between a Professional Pool Player and a Large Pizza?

Answer:
A large Pizza can feed a family of four.
That would be much funnier if it wasn't true.

I often wonder why anyone would stay with pool full time, unless they are one of the top extremely few top guns or financially independent.

I have a few theories but, I better keep them to myself...lol....eventhough all of my theories hold water and some of them are very likely in most cases, some people are just to sensitive in today's sensitive (politically correct) world.

Jeff >>>>> <<<<<< PC people

Old
  (#39)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member

11-22-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage View Post
So long as the player actually PLAYS on both size tables, it translates just fine.
That makes sense but, most everyone that I know personally that has a Fargo rating plays on bar boxes only.

Now, they aren't pros, heck...most of them are in 550 to 600 range. Regardless, since they only play on bar boxes, does it effect the accuracy of their rating?

One example:

A good friend of mine has a 690ish rating, with a robustness of 400+ games. When playing on bar boxes, I give him last three in 9 ball and have a very hard time beating him in short sets but, when we play on a 9' table, well, he's toast because he almost never plays on 9' equipment.

Is ^^^^^^^^^^^ type situation what you were referring to, when you said "as long as they play on both size tables"???

In ^^^^^^^ scenario, how could one make a fair game between him and someone thats got a similar rating that plays mostly on 9' equipment?

Jeff

Old
  (#40)
hotelyorba
AzB Silver Member
hotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond repute

11-23-2019, 03:58 AM

You don't "get" pro status, you just decide that you have pro status by making pool the only source of income. Your level of play will determine if you can keep that up.

Old
  (#41)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-23-2019, 05:31 AM

The question of how to get pro status becomes significantly less interesting if you first answer the question of what having pro status gets you.

...pretty deep for a Saturday morning, eh?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old
  (#42)
trob
AzB Silver Member
trob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond repute

11-23-2019, 05:58 AM

Pay for your entry fee into a pro tournament and announce your self as a pro. Thatís it. Thereís no tour card. Thereís no skills you have to pass in this country. Just have the money to play in a pro tournament.

Player........... road line with 12.9 revo and 314/3
Break cue.... bk3
jump cue..... Fury
Case............ Molinari butterfly

If you live with one foot in the future and one in the past you'll piss all over the present.

Old
  (#43)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

11-23-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzle View Post
What makes a player pro player?
Semi pro?

Trying to understand how pool leagues and tournments and becomming professinal works.

Big money tournments invite only.
Do you pay for entry if amateur?

I assume multiple leagues and tournments all over different levels of pay out.

Do you have to join a league?

I understand vague question?
Just want to understand how it all works.

Thank you
Fargo Rate may have an opinion....

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#44)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

11-23-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzle View Post
What makes a player pro player?
Semi pro?

Trying to understand how pool leagues and tournments and becomming professinal works.

Big money tournments invite only.
Do you pay for entry if amateur?

I assume multiple leagues and tournments all over different levels of pay out.

Do you have to join a league?

I understand vague question?
Just want to understand how it all works.

Thank you
Step 1: Buy or borrow a cue Step 2: Walk into nearest pool room Step 3: Pronounce yourself to be a pro. Done.

Old
  (#45)
gregcantrall
Center Ball
gregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond repute

11-23-2019, 08:02 AM

The labels Pro and Semi-pro have nothing to do with skill. Professional means that is how you make a living. Semi-pro means you make money at it but not enough to quit your day job. Amateur means you do it as a hobby without regard to making money.

Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: