Reload this Page Carbon Fiber at Mosconi Cup
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Carbon Fiber at Mosconi Cup
Old
  (#1)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Carbon Fiber at Mosconi Cup - 11-28-2019, 09:12 AM

I noticed only 3 of 10 players are using CF for their playing cue, Thorpe, Styer, and SVB. Not talking about break cues here or LD maple, only CF for playing cues.
Seems it would be a gentlemanly gesture if some of the CF proponents here on Az would enlighten these folks to the benefits of CF, to both teams, and about how it would add a ball or 2 to their game.
I've watched every match so far and can only imagine the level of play I would witness if they all used CF.
Of course they could possibly be real hard-headed like me and use only maple.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Old
  (#2)
MattPoland
AzB Silver Member
MattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 09:34 AM

Let’s stop pretending anyone thinks a CF shaft will make the ball for you or get you in shape easier. Or if anyone does go that far, can’t we just assume they don’t know what they’re talking about and ignore them? Setting up a mock argument with them is like arguing with the village idiot in town square. It just looks like two idiots arguing to everyone else.

The truth about CF is this. If you’re into low deflection, they do it better than all wood shafts in the market unless you really special order something custom. But deflection is part of tuning your game. It’d be dumb for a veteran pro to switch at that stage of his career. But an up and comer like Tyler has his pick of equipment this early in his career. And like Tyler says, he can trust that if his one CF shaft needs a tip replaced then he can use his backup CF shaft and be certain it will play the same as his main because CF is more consistent between shafts. And finally the fact it won’t ding is nice too.

Those are all differentiating value aspects of CF. None of which will make a ball for you. But they will convince some to open their wallets for one. And some don’t need to open their wallets if they they’re happy with what they have. I know this gets a bit “us vs. them” / “tradition vs. new” but there’s no need to dwell in the exaggerations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old
  (#3)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPoland View Post
Let’s stop pretending anyone thinks a CF shaft will make the ball for you or get you in shape easier. Or if anyone does go that far, can’t we just assume they don’t know what they’re talking about and ignore them? Setting up a mock argument with them is like arguing with the village idiot in town square. It just looks like two idiots arguing to everyone else.

The truth about CF is this. If you’re into low deflection, they do it better than all wood shafts in the market unless you really special order something custom. But deflection is part of tuning your game. It’d be dumb for a veteran pro to switch at that stage of his career. But an up and comer like Tyler has his pick of equipment this early in his career. And like Tyler says, he can trust that if his one CF shaft needs a tip replaced then he can use his backup CF shaft and be certain it will play the same as his main because CF is more consistent between shafts. And finally the fact it won’t ding is nice too.

Those are all differentiating value aspects of CF. None of which will make a ball for you. But they will convince some to open their wallets for one. And some don’t need to open their wallets if they they’re happy with what they have. I know this gets a bit “us vs. them” / “tradition vs. new” but there’s no need to dwell in the exaggerations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I AGREE 100%, Good Post Matt!

Trent from Toledo

Old
  (#4)
Buzzard II
AzB Silver Member
Buzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 09:42 AM

Can't the same be said of the various CTE's?

Old
  (#5)
longhorns2
AzB Silver Member
longhorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 09:43 AM

I've never seen anyone say cf shafts will make you a ball or two better. Seems to be all in your head.

But as far as maintenance and worrying about dings and warping, cf shafts win hands down.

Old
  (#6)
Cuebuddy
Mini cues
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-28-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
I've never seen anyone say cf shafts will make you a ball or two better. Seems to be all in your head.

But as far as maintenance and worrying about dings and warping, cf shafts win hands down.
Agree. But if its all in your head then its still real.
I shot with two carbon fiber shafts yesterday for the first time ever and they played really nice, I was impressed.

Having shot with Maple all my life I could fell the difference with the hit, not saying that I would play better but they felt very nice.

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#7)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 10:25 AM

I have carbon fiber shafts and regular maple shafts and LD shafts and can play with all of them.

Some, I prefer over others, but I can adjust to any of them rather quickly.

I prefer soft tips, others prefer medium, and others prefer hard.

It doesn't mean one is any better...it just means that some people have different preferences.

Old
  (#8)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rosato View Post
I noticed only 3 of 10 players are using CF for their playing cue, Thorpe, Styer, and SVB. Not talking about break cues here or LD maple, only CF for playing cues.
Seems it would be a gentlemanly gesture if some of the CF proponents here on Az would enlighten these folks to the benefits of CF, to both teams, and about how it would add a ball or 2 to their game.
I've watched every match so far and can only imagine the level of play I would witness if they all used CF.
I love the bitter, trolling, get-off-my-lawn post that ends in “Happy Thanksgiving.”

Old
  (#9)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-28-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Johnny, It's a relatively new technology in pool. Give it some time. Few thought they would get this far when introduced.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#10)
poolhustler
AzB Silver Member
poolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3500

11-28-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
You are trying too hard to win "stupidest thread of the year" !!!!

"Then again...you may be the Antichrist"

“If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every AMERICAN to be informed”
Thomas Jefferson

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an
instrument for the people to restrain the
Government-lest it come to dominate our lives and interest .”
Patrick Henry

Old
  (#11)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolhustler View Post
You are trying too hard to win "stupidest thread of the year" !!!!
I'll get there. Maybe I'll try a CF keyboard!

Old
  (#12)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
I have carbon fiber shafts and regular maple shafts and LD shafts and can play with all of them.

Some, I prefer over others, but I can adjust to any of them rather quickly.

I prefer soft tips, others prefer medium, and others prefer hard.

It doesn't mean one is any better...it just means that some people have different preferences.
Bingo...and never use what the pros use as a measuring stick. They use equipment that pays the best sponsorship money.

Old
  (#13)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Well, seems like you already got a carbon fiber avatar.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#14)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

11-28-2019, 01:45 PM

Well, Styer just missed a ball b/c he put inside spin on it.
Cue ball did not squirt.

Old
  (#15)
poolhustler
AzB Silver Member
poolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3500

11-28-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I got one .. Didn't help...

Happy Turkey Day!

"Then again...you may be the Antichrist"

“If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every AMERICAN to be informed”
Thomas Jefferson

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an
instrument for the people to restrain the
Government-lest it come to dominate our lives and interest .”
Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: