Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Celebrations on top of pool tables?
Page 1 of 7 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Celebrations on top of pool tables?
Old
  (#1)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Celebrations on top of pool tables? - 11-30-2019, 08:10 AM

Just curious who started the tradition of jumping on top of a pool table to celebrate major wins? Was it Jason Shaw a few years ago at the U.S. Open 9-ball Championships or had it been done previously?

Yes, I know a quality commercial table can handle the weight of someone on it and even the weight of 7 adult males jumping up and down on it as we just saw with the American team during their Mosconi cup celebration. However, as a room owner, there is something about it that bothers me - kind of disrespecting the sacred ground/surface of the pool table that you have just won your title on. Not to mention that accidentally coming down with your foot and the entire weight of your body on the cushion rubber which couldíve easily happened and could very likely break the cushion rubber loose from the sub rail, or worse.

I just donít think itís a very good example / look to set for someone watching who might think they could get away with doing this when winning a tournament in another environment, such as at a pool hall, where it clearly would not be an acceptable thing to do.

I realize that most here will likely criticize my thoughts on this, but is there anyone out there who agrees with me?

Old
  (#2)
jeephawk
AzB Gold Member
jeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 08:13 AM

Not criticizing - just an opinion!

Surprisingly, I thought it was appropriate. Limited use table, not anyone playing on it after that, unless they sell it for some $$$ in which case I'd think any necessary repairs would be made.

Doubt that will inspire folks in pool halls.

Old
  (#3)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 08:13 AM

I agree, no need to do that. Plus, the table is being auctioned off.

Trent from Toledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
Just curious who started the tradition of jumping on top of a pool table to celebrate major wins? Was it Jason Shaw a few years ago at the U.S. Open 9-ball Championships or had it been done previously?

Yes, I know a quality commercial table can handle the weight of someone on it and even the weight of 7 adult males jumping up and down on it as we just saw with the American team during their Mosconi cup celebration. However, as a room owner, there is something about it that bothers me - kind of disrespecting the sacred ground/surface of the pool table that you have just won your title on. Not to mention that accidentally coming down with your foot and the entire weight of your body on the cushion rubber which couldíve easily happened and could very likely break the cushion rubber loose from the sub rail, or worse.

I just donít think itís a very good example / look to set for someone watching who might think they could get away with doing this when winning a tournament in another environment, such as at a pool hall, where it clearly would not be an acceptable thing to do.

I realize that most here will likely criticize my thoughts on this, but is there anyone out there who agrees with me?

Old
  (#4)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Been playing 40yrs and other than a couple times on tv/stream i've never seen it. Worrying about nothing in my book. NEVER seen it in a room other than the crawl-on-the-table play in New Orleans.

Old
  (#5)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
11-30-2019, 08:22 AM

First time I recall was Appleton doing it.

All the shit the euros got fed a couple years ago for (maybe even a single player) doing it, the acceptance of the whole is team up there is hypocritical to me.

Old
  (#6)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 08:24 AM

I don't like making plans for the day, because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.

Player: Lucasi w/ Cynergy
Breaker: Poison
Case: JB Cases

Old
  (#7)
JolietJames
Boot Party Coordinator
JolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
First time I recall was Appleton doing it.

All the shit the euros got fed a couple years ago for (maybe even a single player) doing it, the acceptance of the whole is team up there is hypocritical to me.
Same here. Completely agree. He's the first I remember. I disliked it then, and dislike it now perhaps even more with a group jumping around like monkeys on the table.

On a side note I was very happy to see Skyler go shake fillers hand within a few seconds of sinking the final 9. It kind of canceled out the early celebration to me.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.

Old
  (#8)
JolietJames
Boot Party Coordinator
JolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 08:30 AM

Is that pic of Earl from 2002 or something like that? I think I watched that match on YouTube. If so then he was the first stupid ass to jump on the table I can remember.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.

Old
  (#9)
jimmyco
NRA4Life
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 08:31 AM

I don' t care for it at all. Don't they know some of us enjoy eating our lunch on a clean table.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#10)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 08:40 AM

Can you imagine a golfer trashing the 18th green with a victory dance?

If I wanted to buy a Rasson table, it wouldnít be that one....

If the players donít respect their own game, who will?

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#11)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member
CESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
Yep, If I had to pick one guy it would be Earl

Old
  (#12)
Nostroke
AzB Gold Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
11-30-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Can you imagine a golfer trashing the 18th green with a victory dance?

If I wanted to buy a Rasson table, it wouldnít be that one....

If the players donít respect their own game, who will?
If they were only on the table surface-not a biggie but several of them stepped right on the rails! I wouldnt buy that table now unless i got it DIRT cheap!

Old
  (#13)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

11-30-2019, 08:56 AM

Dancing on top of the table goes back quite a way. I recall Karen Corr dancing an Irish jig on the table after a great win about a decade ago. Highly doubt she was the first to dance on the table.

Darren Appleton also ascended onto the table in rowdy celebration after he won
the World 9-ball Championship in what I believe was 2012.

Personally, I love these on-the-table celebrations. We want our champions to get as excited as possible after a big win, and these celebrations add to the flavor of any event.

Old
  (#14)
Banger
AzB Silver Member
Banger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 09:09 AM

It's OK with me.....as long as they pay for the table.

"It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?" -- Ronald Reagan

Old
  (#15)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Thereís three things I donít like: jumping up on a pool table, cues made of unnatural materials, and kids getting on my lawn.

Just kidding ChrisNC, it makes me cringe when I see it, I think theyíre going to stand on a ball (which were still there rolling on the table after Skyís early combo) and slip and break their backs. But Iím sure the promoters and crowd love it.

Page 1 of 7 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: