Rubber Grips

Carom Rocky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve always wondered why most billiard player play with a wrapless cue and put a rubber grip on it. I get that billiard balls are heavier and you hit the balls harder.

Blomdahl used to play with a rubber grip with his Adam cue and when he switched to Molinari, he went wrapless. I do see Longoni coming out with cues with a leather wrap installed.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve always wondered why most billiard player play with a wrapless cue and put a rubber grip on it. I get that billiard balls are heavier and you hit the balls harder.

Blomdahl used to play with a rubber grip with his Adam cue and when he switched to Molinari, he went wrapless. I do see Longoni coming out with cues with a leather wrap installed.
The idea is that you can use a light grip and your hand will not slip. The worst kind of wrap is rayon which is super slippery and you have to grip tightly or you'll put someone's eye out. "Irish linen" is not much better, depending on the humidity.

I find that wrapless does not slip for me. I used a rubber wrap for a while over a leather wrap (which was slippery in the winter) but I now use a wrapless cue.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member

The rubber grip gives more complete control of the stroke, whether it be rapid, short slow... Combining this with a 8 sided (Octangle) butt on the cue will give the BEST control over the cue! Eliminates rotation of the cue during delivery.

The follow-thru stroke should ALWAYS be straight, horizontally and vertically!

Here's an example of such a cue. BTW, it's used by the GREATEST all around billiard player of all time! Frederic Caudron.

https://www.longonicues.com/longoni-cues/longoni-carom/longoni-carom-cues?id=800:longoni-carom-cue-amalia-by-frederic-caudron

Last edited: