KT declares was on the WPA

jjinfla

Banned
Cueball1950,

Mike, I don't know you but I remember you mentioning back in October that your wife was terminally ill and I happened to mention it to someone the other day. I hope she is comfortable. And I hope you are bearing well under the hardship.

I sincerely hope that you do not drop playing pool and posting on this site as I am sure that both provide you the necessary relief you need from your burden. People just do not understand the stress the caregiver is under in these situations until they experience them.

I know. Playing pool allows me to crawl into my own little world and forget the problems for a while. Same with posting.

Jake

T

Timberly

cueball1950 said:
well JAM. the mention of the paragraph was meant in jest. But you may not be seeing me at Turning Stone. as you and alot of others on here know, my wife is very ill and getting worse by the day. and to top things off i had a nephew pass this past Novemebr and now i have a 15 year old niece with crohns disease that is not doing to well. we were told today that her insides are deteriorating, What ever the hell that means. Hopefully all will go well, but at present there is just to much on my plate to worry about pool and such. And it is time i put all my efforts into my family..Hopefully i can get to Turning Stone on Saturday for a couple of hours...............................................mike
Mike, I'm terribly sorry to hear about the loss and heartache that your family is going through. I can't imagine have that much on my plate with so many people that I care about. My heart goes out to you and your family. :(

Vicki

Mrs. Capone
Silver Member
JAM said:
Craig, yes, the money is very important to players who haven't had an opportunity to compete for this kind of dough.
JAM

Hey Jennie,

The people who don't think the money is important are the people who have careers with paid vacations and HMOs. For professional pool players who have lived their adult lives scraping by on the money they can make in regional tours, gambling or playing in weekly tournaments at a local pool hall, this is welcome relief.

I think pool fans think that NO ONE should make a good living in the billiard industry. We should do it for the love of pool and we should break even, at best, doing it. Anyone who makes a decent living in this industry is resented and criticized. Players, promoters, commentators, manufacturers, cuemakers, directors, media, retailers... No matter how hard we work, no matter how good we are, no matter how our families starve, we should work for free.

It is ridiculous to ask the players to sacrifice the possible financial security that is being offered because of sentimental attachments to traditional events, or because they are supposed to "play for the love of the game."

Whether or not the IPT scheduling conflicts were intentional is not an issue for the players. The bottom line is this - the players have responsibilities to their families, sponsors, and to themselves that the IPT is giving them a chance to fulfill for the first time in their lives.

I wish more fans would put themselves in the players shoes. Telling them you think they shouldn't play on the IPT is like telling a mechanic he should work for free for the love of automobiles. Maybe we should expect our doctors to work for free for the love of humanity. Give me a break.

Hope to see you soon Jennie. We live too close to only ever see each other at out of state tournaments :D Hope you're doing well... By the way, we got married in October and we're having a baby in July. When I see you at the Hopkins event, I'll be big 'n round, waddling around :D :D

Take care!
Vicki

Vicki

Mrs. Capone
Silver Member
Barbara said:
But who's going to step up to the plate with the kind of money the IPT is throwing out when/if they go under in a couple of years. The damage will have been done to these events and the promoters.
Barbara

Barbara,

This is something I've considered too. It has also occurred to me that the IPT may disappear tomorrow, or on the 3rd of August, or anytime they decide they're done with pool. They are not under contract with the players to provide the promised tournaments as far as I know.

This Kevin Trudeau isn't the most respectable guy in town either. Dateline or 20/20 (one of those type shows) did a story on what a schmuck he is. Kinda scarey to have all of our hopes and dreams riding on this guy.

It's a frightening possibility. If the industry doesn't support it, it's sure to fail. If we do, it might fail anyway and then where will we be? It seems the players are willing to take the chance that things might get better and I can't say I blame them.

Quite a quandry...

Vicki

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vicki said:
...I wish more fans would put themselves in the players shoes. Telling them you think they shouldn't play on the IPT is like telling a mechanic he should work for free for the love of automobiles. Maybe we should expect our doctors to work for free for the love of humanity. Give me a break.

Hope to see you soon Jennie. We live too close to only ever see each other at out of state tournaments :D Hope you're doing well... By the way, we got married in October and we're having a baby in July. When I see you at the Hopkins event, I'll be big 'n round, waddling around :D :D

Vicki, so good to see you posting, and as always, you're right on point.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family AND the marriage. Looks like you have been quite busy since I've seen you last, and by the sounds of it, life is treating you great. You are blessed, Vicki, and your hubby is a lucky fellow. God bless you and yours. Can't wait to see you on the tournament trail again! :)

JAM

berry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good topic!!

Yes I think that KT has declared war on the WPA! Cannot think of a way to have IPT's on all major events by excident. And if this is good for pool, NO WAY. KT is trowing away 20 years of pool just for 150 pro players.

And about the publicity, yes thats nice but is it worth giving up the rest? I doubt it.

Even from the pro's point of view they don't like it that the IPT's are on these dates. They also like the WPC 8 and 9 and the US Open.

AND SOME PEOPLE MUST LEARN THAT IT IS NOT ABOUT MONEY, or do you guy's also trash talk the olympics?

btw, I still like the IPT very much......

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
berry said:
Good topic!!

Yes I think that KT has declared war on the WPA! Cannot think of a way to have IPT's on all major events by excident. And if this is good for pool, NO WAY. KT is trowing away 20 years of pool just for 150 pro players.

And about the publicity, yes thats nice but is it worth giving up the rest? I doubt it.

Even from the pro's point of view they don't like it that the IPT's are on these dates. They also like the WPC 8 and 9 and the US Open.

AND SOME PEOPLE MUST LEARN THAT IT IS NOT ABOUT MONEY, or do you guy's also trash talk the olympics?

btw, I still like the IPT very much......

Nice to see another person who's not blinded by the cash!

I really don't understand how people come to the conclussion that anyone is saying that players shouldn't play on the IPT? :confused:

I think the issue is forcing players to choose, and whether that's good for pool given the deliberate date clashes.

I am extreemly dissapointed that some of the IPTers on this board don't have the guts to come out and say that they would prefer to play in both the US Open, WPC etc AND the fantastic new IPT events! Would KT really think that was so bad? :confused:

I live in hope that the IPT take note and make an annoucement ASAP to right this wrong. :rolleyes:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TheOne said:
I am extreemly dissapointed that some of the IPTers on this board don't have the guts to come out and say that they would prefer to play in both the US Open, WPC etc AND the fantastic new IPT events! Would KT really think that was so bad? :confused:...

I'm curious now. How many IPT members are there that do post on AzBilliards out of lot of 150?

There is, of course, the always-articulate Colin, Linda with her bubbly personality, and Bernie with all of his enthusiasm. Those are the three AzB "regulars." All three valuable contributors to the forum, long before the IPT came to the fore.:)

However, there is Spadevil from Scotland who recent began posting, John Schmidt who expressed his views, Keith McCready and Aaron Czetli who have remained publicly mum on the topic, Shawn Putnam who's busy most times traveling the tournament trail, and Charlie Bryant who doesn't have access to a computer 24/7 as of yet.:(

The most vocal outcries about the IPT to date seem to come from the non-IPT members because there aren't too many of the 150 who post on AzBilliards, at least I don't think so.:eek:

So maybe it begs the question and an IPT roll call: Are there any IPT member lurkers in the house? Speak now or forever hold your peace!:p

As a group, the IPT members are quite out-numbered in the scheme of things. The topic of the IPT is bantied about, given its own designated sub-forum, and there are many opinions, pros and cons, detailing each move it makes.

There is a poll about the IPT on the InsidePOOL magazine website. To date, the overwhelming majority of voters are in favor of the IPT. Out of 87 voters to date, 69 think the IPT is a good thing. Check the poll out for yourselves. I wonder if all of the 69 voters who are in favor of the IPT are lurker IPT members: http://www.insidepoolmag.com/component/option,com_poll/task,results/id,16/

JAM

Last edited:

jjinfla

Banned
TheOne said:
I am extreemly dissapointed that some of the IPTers on this board don't have the guts to come out and say that they would prefer to play in both the US Open, WPC etc AND the fantastic new IPT events! Would KT really think that was so bad? :confused:

. :rolleyes:

Are you referring to players like Charlie Williams and Mika Immonen. You want them to now come out and say they want to play in all those events after they boycotted the US Open.

Puleese,

And do you know why the US Open was boycotted? All because of money. Not enough would go to UPA players. So they boycotted and received nothing.

But I did notice how quiet CW has been about the IPT and he sure was fast to jump on the IPT bandwagon.

Just goes to show you that he knows a good thing when he sees one.

I wonder if he told anyone he applied for the IPT before the list with him on it came out.

Jake

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
jjinfla said:
Are you referring to players like Charlie Williams and Mika Immonen. You want them to now come out and say they want to play in all those events after they boycotted the US Open.

Puleese,

And do you know why the US Open was boycotted? All because of money. Not enough would go to UPA players. So they boycotted and received nothing.

But I did notice how quiet CW has been about the IPT and he sure was fast to jump on the IPT bandwagon.

Just goes to show you that he knows a good thing when he sees one.

I wonder if he told anyone he applied for the IPT before the list with him on it came out.

Jake

I don't care for politics, all I know is that its in the interest of all pool players everywhere to be able to play in as many tournaments as possible, plain and simple. I also hope I will still have this view if I had been chosen and promised millions by the IPT.

BTW
I watched BOTH Charlie and Mikka play in the US Open this year.

jjinfla

Banned
Talk about a copout and evading a direct answer.

Didn't sound to me that the UPA wanted to work with anyone when they threatened Behrman. It was their way or the highway.

But it will be interesting to see which way the wind blows when an UPA event conflicts with an IPT event. Where will Charlie and Mika play? But then I predict that the UPA will make damn sure they don't schedule anything close to when there is an IPT event scheduled.

I compare the IPT to Walmart. Walmart moves in and the local super markets all complain that Walmart is putting them out of business.

But then I remember way back when we had actual little mom and pop stores that these same Super Markets moved in and put out of business. They thought it was okay when they did that but now cry when it is done to them.

I suppose it is called progress.

Jake

jjinfla

Banned
Another point to keep in mind. Kevin Trudeau only wants people on the IPT Tour who believe in the Tour and will work hard to make it a success. If players do not believe in the Tour then they are free to leave it. In fact KT encourages them to leave it in that case.

I suspect that a real honest belief in the Tour was a pre-requisite when filling out the application for membership.

That is why I believe that all members of the IPT are 100% behind KT. As they should be.

Jake

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TheOne said:
I don't care for politics, all I know is that its in the interest of all pool players everywhere to be able to play in as many tournaments as possible, plain and simple. I also hope I will still have this view if I had been chosen and promised millions by the IPT.

I don't care for politics either, but there sure were some fireworks the past few years in the United States for some American players.

How fortunate for you that you have not experienced being discriminated against. Here in the States, the selection process for high-profile events has not adhered to the rules of the governing body of men's professional pool. Players would travel hundreds of miles to UPA events, only to discover a new UPA rule. This one can play because he's a shortstop, but this one can't play because he's considered a "pro" in the eyes of the UPA. Sign the dotted line or be banned from the UPA, the old "my way or the highway," and some players were not afforded the opportunity to compete. The UPA contract was a legally binding document threatening court appearances, fines, and injunctions.

The IPA offers a level playing field to all of its 150 members, no favoritism, and may the best man/woman win.

TheOne said:
BTW
I watched BOTH Charlie and Mika play in the US Open this year.

You didn't see Charlie Williams the year before at the U.S. Open, though, and several other UPA members as well who elected to not attend.

JAM

Last edited:

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
jjinfla said:
I suspect that a real honest belief in the Tour was a pre-requisite when filling out the application for membership.

That is why I believe that all members of the IPT are 100% behind KT. As they should be.

Jake

This sounds more like a faith than a pool tour. :rolleyes: Rule by fear, that'll work. Next step player contracts, "well if you don't believe..."

BTW I didn't fudge anything I just don't live in the past like you, I just want pool to get better and bringing up old bun fights isn't going to resolve anything. But just to be clear I'll say it again:

1) IMO It would be in the interest of ALL players (mainly the IPT players) if the IPT avoided date clashes and didn't target the WPA.

2)I would also like to see the IPT make the qualifiers more accessible so we don't have to wait years to see the BEST players on the IPT.

I'm curious Jake which part of what I'm saying dont you agree with?

Purdman

Banned
For professional pool players who have lived their adult lives scraping by on the money they can make in regional tours, gambling or playing in weekly tournaments at a local pool hall.

And may I ask, whose decision was that? You get out of life what you put into it kid!!!!!
Purdman

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purdman said:
For professional pool players who have lived their adult lives scraping by on the money they can make in regional tours, gambling or playing in weekly tournaments at a local pool hall.

And may I ask, whose decision was that? You get out of life what you put into it kid!!!!!

And if a pool player did make the decision to play pool their entire life, scraping by on the money they can make in regional tours, gambling, or playing in weekly events, then they shouldn't be looked down upon if they made the decision to become a part of the IPT tour.

The players are caught in the middle of this pool world war, but aren't deserving of being stereotyped and categorized the way they are on this forum by those who don't like Kevin Trudeau or the IPT.

Everything may seem likes it's all out there in black and white for those on the outside looking in, but for those who are actually on the inside, the IPT players themselves who are hoping to change their lives for the better, it's a shame they are being criticized because they choose to ride the IPT train for as long as it remains on the tracks.

JAM

BlackDragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ethics of KT fit in snugly with the American Pool Player. Brits are more civilized, hence theOne's expression. Fillipinos, ethics mmm, dollar signs in their eyes, yeah.
Politicians appear to be nice guys but they wage war too. KT is out to destroy.
Thats how empires are made.
IPT, great cash opportunity for the pool elite and good tv consumption for the masses. Thats that.
Its not going to spin my cueball any faster.

Last edited:

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
JAM said:
How fortunate for you that you have not experienced being discriminated against. Here in the States, the selection process for high-profile events has not adhered to the rules of the governing body of men's professional pool. Players would travel hundreds of miles to UPA events, only to discover a new UPA rule. This one can play because he's a shortstop, but this one can't play because he's considered a "pro" in the eyes of the UPA. Sign the dotted line or be banned from the UPA, the old "my way or the highway," and some players were not afforded the opportunity to compete. The UPA contract was a legally binding document threatening court appearances, fines, and injunctions.

The IPA offers a level playing field to all of its 150 members, no favoritism, and may the best man/woman win.

When I was 15 years old I turned up for an event in the UK and because I beat several players I started to get bullied and threatened. I decided to go home and because I didn't tell anyone I was leaving I got banned for a year. I wrote to explain the situation but sadly for the me the players in question where friends with the organisers of the tour. I was also very critical of the UPA, I still am with regards the BCA for example. It is simply unfair to award ranking points for an invite only event! Some of my comments resulted in the UPA updating their website to add an extra page to explain how the points sytem works. I'm not anti any-tour I just want whats best for the PLAYERS, all players NOT just a special club.

This quote almost made me fall off my seat, it highlights how blinded you are by the IPT and the CASH. Ask all the players forking out 10k plus expenses to try and qualify if its a level playing field and no favoritism. Don't forget to mention that part of their cash will be split between the "chosen" 150 while your discussing it. :confused:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TheOne said:

This quote almost made me fall off my seat, it highlights how blinded you are by the IPT and the CASH. Ask all the players forking out 10k plus expenses to try and qualify if its a level playing field and no favoritism. Don't forget to mention that part of their cash will be split between the "chosen" 150 while your discussing it. :confused:

Jimminy Crickets, TheOne! The first official tournament has not even begun yet. There will be a LEVEL playing field, with REAL pool, REAL RULES, which the IPT organization will adhere to, and REAL money. The King of the Hill Shootout was an "invitational" event.

The tour had to start somewhere. Some may not like the selection process for the first 150, but as the IPT tour progresses, the cream will rise to the top. The "players forking out 10K plus expenses to try and qualify" are doing so because they must like the vision of the IPT.

If you don't like the selection process because there are some Hall of Famers, veterans, and American champions on the player roster fore the first season, I'm going to put it out there and say MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY of these players paid their dues and then some.

The Billiard Congress of AMERICA has a Hall of Fame which doesn't put one penny in the pockets of its inductees. The IPT recognized these BCA awardees, which includes INTERNATIONAL players, and gave each one of them $30,000.

I, for one, applaud the IPT for "grandfathering" some of these players in. I can guarantee you one thing, TheOne, some of those veterans forked out a whole lot more than 10K plus expenses to keep themselves active on the American tournament trail. They not only paid their dues, but they devoted their entire life to this sport, before you even picked up your first cue stick. It's about damn time they get to enjoy a moment in time of fame.

JAM

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
So maybe it begs the question and an IPT roll call: Are there any IPT member lurkers in the house? Speak now or forever hold your peace!:p

JAM
I know of some that occasionally read these posts, and just said "They don't have a clue". Perhaps Keith would know what that means, since he's on the IPT.