KT declares was on the WPA

Eydie Romano

Finally Retired!
Silver Member
trizzat said:
I have developed many opinions on the ipt. For the most part I exclusively lurk and have made very few posts, because people are so quick to jump on others about their OPINIONS. I feel very strongly about this subject, so I have forced myself out of lurk mode and decided to voice my OPINION of what is happening. The issue of the IPT is extremely critcal for the advancement of the game we all love.

First, I would like to state that I was very skeptical at first about KT's intentions, as were most. I thought it was most likely a scam and he was going to take all the $899 tour memberships and run, would have been a quick little score. Now that he has invested millions of his own dollars in the tour I can see that is not the case.

This is pool's pivotal moment in history. No one has ever provided such a great opportunity for the game to be boosted to the level of golf, poker, or tennis. Although I know the IPT doesn't offer quite that level of payout or exposure yet he is heading in that direction. We as the pool playing public must support the tour cause if we don't believe in it why would the non pool players, that he is trying to reach, believe in it.

For years people have complained that we need unity in the pool world to further the game. Players and/or promoters would complain about the existing tours and decide the best way to fix it was to start their own tour, which would compete with these flawed tours already in existence. This is what KT is doing, however it is a much bigger deal because he has the money to run right over the existing tours. Running a pool tour is a BUSINESS and KT is treating it as such. One of the objectives in business is to take business away from your competitors.

Up until now most promoters were players themselves who loved the game and wanted to do their part to help further the game, they were insiders. KT is viewed as an outsider and he is coming in to our world with his big business background and making major changes to pool as we know it. It is normal for people to fear change.

As for the existing promoters, such as Barry and Eydie, I feel for you, you have done everything you can for the game we love. The avenues just haven't become available for you to take pool to the level that KT will be able to take it. I don't believe any of us have nearly the money he has to work with. I also ask you not to close up shop or cancel any events just because it clashes with one of the IPT's events. As some have pointed out the IPT will only comprise the top 150 players in the world. I know there are literally thousands of other top players out there, not on the IPT tour that are capable of playing at a world champion level, just look at the brackets for the qualifiers. These players will fill your events and they are capable of showing world class pool to the fans. Your events will not suffer, but prosper. The IPT will with the TV exposure draw many more fans and amatuer players into the game. This will increase the turnout for all of the smaller tournaments.

As for the US Open, it would be a real shame if he cancels due to the schedule clash. Yes, the big names, who are IPT members will be playing the IPT event but this will be an opportunity for many non IPT members to showcase their skills. The US Open title will lose some of its allure without merging with the IPT but it can still be the creme de la creme of amateur tournaments. It could showcase the top non IPT talent in the world and be the who's who of who will be going for their tour card next year. This brings me to my next point.

All existing tours will have to eventually concede that the IPT is the only pro tour. Yes, there will be pro players who fell off the bottom 50 of the tour but until next year they will have to work on their games in the amateur tours and try for another shot in the qualifiers.

Eventually I would hope that they would expand the number of tour members, since there are many more worthy players out there. It would be a shame for only a small percentage of world class players to be able to make a living in one given year.

As for this years selection process of players, I believe KT did what he felt was his best. Prior to the player list release I was a little skeptical due to his friendship with Sigel. I thought he might select a bunch of second rate players and make it the Mike Sigel tour, but he didn't. He selected for the most part world class players and we can argue others are better till were blue in the face. My list would have been different than his but hey he's running the tour not me. Within the next two years only the best will be on tour.

Let me just say that I am not an IPT member and am on the outside looking in, so to speak. I do believe that the future of pool lies in KT's hands and I can only hope he treats it good, pool is in a way all of our's collective baby. Everyone is so nervous that he's going to hurt it.

Anyone who has a problem with what I've said, or my literary skills, can take it up with me at the SBE on the table.:D

Trizzat (sorry so long, a lot to say as I don't post much)

Very very nice post, thank you for your insight!

Eydie

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TheOne said:
Now that's brilliant news - who said forums don't make a difference!!! ;)

(puts cheerleader skirt and pom poms on [any excuse;) ]) Give me a "K", give me a "T" :p

:D :D :D

PS
Now just the qualiers to sort out :cool:

So the stories are true:eek: j/k Craig:)

I was quite pleased to hear that KT and Barry Hearn have sorted out the dates of their events to avoid clashing, as I suspected all along it wasn't all that difficult for both parties to compromise to benefit each other. This is great for all players (and fans) in general as they now can attend both events if they so choose.

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
That's exactly Keith's sentiments as well! He doesn't like to post on controversial issues, but if you were to ask him in person, he'd definitely give you an earful on his take, "the world according to Keith." He was absolutely flabbergasted in Orlando, the venue, the Green Room for the players, the pristine equipment, et cetera, et cetera. His eyes sparkled the whole time we were in Orlando. I've never seen him so upbeat and enthusiastic about playing pool. :D

This venue the IPT has created is state-of-the-art, only the BEST equipment, with a team of only the TOP professionals. I must say that IPT promo was quite well done. I loved it when Gabe, with his determined battle face on, commented to the camera, "Well, this isn't 1978 anymore." :D

One thing for sure, the BEST truly is yet to come! :)

JAM
Keith looked awesome!! For some reason I can only get audio on about the first 1/2 of the that promo video, I can not hear what Keith and some other players thereafter say. Does anyone else have this problem?
I didn't make Orlando, but definitely planning Vegas in July! I hope to meet you, and re-meet Keith then. (since it's been about 30 yrs since I met him when he came through Wichita and left with some of our money, as well as many other players here!) He is one of those players you love to watch play, as he is sooo entertaining! Does he plan that on purpose? To let people enjoy losing their money to him? lol

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gabesmom said:
Keith looked awesome!! For some reason I can only get audio on about the first 1/2 of the that promo video, I can not hear what Keith and some other players thereafter say. Does anyone else have this problem?

I did when I first tried to listen to it. After I went through about a 3-plus hour download of unintelligible sounds and 3-second video bursts, it played perfectly the next time I tried it. :)

gabesmom said:
I didn't make Orlando, but definitely planning Vegas in July! I hope to meet you, and re-meet Keith then. (since it's been about 30 yrs since I met him when he came through Wichita and left with some of our money, as well as many other players here!) He is one of those players you love to watch play, as he is sooo entertaining! Does he plan that on purpose? To let people enjoy losing their money to him? lol

Keith has sure got some on-the-road tales, and even today, I am still hearing some of them for the first time, thanks to some friends of his that we run into on the tournament trail. :p

I remember at the DCC a few years ago, he was commentating on a match with J.R. Calvert of InsidePOOL for Accu-Stats/BCn. Shannon Daulton and Jose Parica were playing one-hole, race to 3, on the TV table.;)

The booth was elevated high, requiring one to walk up a set of stairs. The match was slow-going and not very much excitement. Keith just chattered away with J.R. Soon I saw spectators walk up to the Accu-Stat booth and to get a set of earphones. People were chuckling during the very boring match, listening to the commentating. I began to get nervous, not knowing what was coming out of Keith's mouth. :eek:

BCn's Robert Sykora saw me squirming and invited me to walk up the stairs and join them in the booth, though I didn't say more than three words. I just wanted to hear what on earth everyone was laughing at who were wearing the earphones. I remember vividly Jeanette Lee had a horrified look on her face when she realized it was Keith sitting in front of a microphone. :D

During the middle of it all, Keith looked down into the peanut gallery, and there sat Gabe Owen, who was wearing a headphone. Keith immediately caught his glance and said, "There's that young Gabe Owen who's been beating up all the big dogs lately. He's a player, all right." Gabe looked up at Keith and smiled. The next year, Gabe won the U.S. Open! ;)

JAM

jjinfla

Banned
So now it looks like KT and Barry Hearn actually did come to some agreement on setting tournament dates.

And as far as the US Open all we have so far is Barry's post about the conflict. But since he was able to remedy the problem in record time I seem to think that there may have been a little more involved here.

Perhaps a little behind the scenes pressure to the Chamber of Commerce on how important the US Open is to them and how they should work with Barry.

Somehow I have the feeling that this US Open will be the best ever and that this will be a very good year for pool.

Okay, that's all settled, no more problems out there, now we can concentrate on the next qualifier.

Jake

Vicki

Mrs. Capone
Silver Member
Purdman said:
For professional pool players who have lived their adult lives scraping by on the money they can make in regional tours, gambling or playing in weekly tournaments at a local pool hall.

And may I ask, whose decision was that? You get out of life what you put into it kid!!!!!
Purdman

It seems most of the fans here think that pro players sould continue to make their livings in this manner and only a small few support them in their opportunity to make a decent living. That's not ok with me. I don't work for free and I don't think my favorite pool players should have to either.

Vicki

Mrs. Capone
Silver Member
Colin Colenso said:
TheOne,

But the IPT is young. Just a few months ago many were sitting on the fence. The applicants had no guarantees of any cash like they do now. Regional tours were sitting back and waiting to see what would happen, now they are increasingly looking for ways to become a part of the qualification system.

Hi Colin,

Just curious, is there a guarantee of cash for the players? I am sure Trudeau means to pay the players their winnings, but is there a contract or some other guarantee that he will actually provide the event?

To the best of my knowledge, which is admittedly limited, there is no agreement between Trudeau and the players that he will produce a certain number of events in a certian manner; therefore, are we taking him only on his word? If so, and given his terrible reputation, I don't think there is any guarantee.

For the record, I am ALL FOR the opportunity the IPT is giving the players, but VERY concerned that the IPT will not be around for as long as we are assuming. Trudeau has talked about the IPT through 2007 and we are talking about the IPT as if it will be here at least that long, but there is nothing (that I know of) to say he couldn't drop the IPT tomorrow. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any insight.

Vicki

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
During the middle of it all, Keith looked down into the peanut gallery, and there sat Gabe Owen, who was wearing a headphone. Keith immediately caught his glance and said, "There's that young Gabe Owen who's been beating up all the big dogs lately. He's a player, all right." Gabe looked up at Keith and smiled. The next year, Gabe won the U.S. Open! ;)

JAM
Words of encouragement like that from pros (with years of experience as Keith has) can sure make a difference to young players trying to get there and give them a boost of confidence! (and especially to Gabe at the time, as he had lost to Keith many times over the past years)

Gerald

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CaptiveBred said:
There is alot more going on here than the purity of pocket billiards. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

For somebody who loves to compete, you don't seem to realize there is competition on other levels in the game.

Why should'nt the IPT try to dominate? They are competing entities...

When I ran a business, I spent a great deal of time figuiring out how to take business from my competitors. This is, not only, considered a ethical, it is integral to survival.

Competition is good for consumers. We are the consumers. This is good for us. Any economics course will teach you that right off the bat.

Competition is a MUST in capitolism. Do you not live in this world? I do and so do all my neighbors. If not for this evil, the world you know wuld not exsist...

I understand you are passionate about pool but that does not warrant the rest of the world changing its positions to suit yours. This is not a worl of "One" :)
Tap. Tap, Tap.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Colin Colenso said:
I'm not aware of any big name players who applied before the deadline who missed out.

Ronnie wiseman,windsor,Canada living in Michigan,USA.
Ronnie told me that he did apply at the last minute but before the deadline.

Last edited: