The BIG Mezz shaft thread!

NervousNovice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question: On the Mezz WX700 shaft page (here) on mezzcues.us, you can choose between the 5/16x14 standard joint and the United joint. I have always thought that the United joint is the standard 5/16x14 joint (for instance, a United joint shaft would fit a Schon). No?

Question: The Zan Tip page http://zan-tip.com/eng/technology.html seems to suggest that you can get more grip / spin with a harder tip. That doesn't seem to make sense. How is that possible?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question: On the Mezz WX700 shaft page (here) on mezzcues.us, you can choose between the 5/16x14 standard joint and the United joint. I have always thought that the United joint is the standard 5/16x14 joint (for instance, a United joint shaft would fit a Schon). No?

Question: The Zan Tip page http://zan-tip.com/eng/technology.html seems to suggest that you can get more grip / spin with a harder tip. That doesn't seem to make sense. How is that possible?

The United Joint is a bit tighter than a regular 516×14, some shafts like Schon works with Mezz, some don't...
The Zan Grip Hard tip plays like a good quality hard tip, but holds chalk better than a Moori or Kamui hard tip.

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
The United Joint is a bit tighter than a regular 516×14, some shafts like Schon works with Mezz, some don't...
The Zan Grip Hard tip plays like a good quality hard tip, but holds chalk better than a Moori or Kamui hard tip.

I installed a Zan GRIP hard on my Kai Breaker and it works perfectly :thumbup:
More grip and control as with TAOM which is on my second Shaft:wink:

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone had a chance to own/play extensively with the new EX pro shaft? It looks rather nice, but is too costly to buy without some actual reviews on them :embarrassed2: How does it feel compared to wx700? Softer, harder, stiffer? How does the new taper differ from that of wd/wx700 shafts?
Any input would be appreciated :)

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
reviews from a german forum:

more lively than a HP II (Feedbackwise)
still VERY stiff
LD +- like a HP II

Overall a very good LD shaft for those who prefer a tipdiameter over 12mm. Biggest difference between the ex pro and the HP II seems to be the sound when you strike the CB and that it gives a slightly better feedback.

Havent played one on my own (prefer 12mm) but the reviews from the german forum are quite good.

Dr_CollieCue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the difference between the Mezz MSP-MT and the ZZSP?

Also, how do those two SPs differ from the EC7-P, K, WMB, and WKK? Is it all cosmetic?

Thank you.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the difference between the Mezz MSP-MT and the ZZSP?

Also, how do those two SPs differ from the EC7-P, K, WMB, and WKK? Is it all cosmetic?

Thank you.

The MSP and ZZSP are the new and old "sneaky pete" series from Mezz. The old ones had a steel joint, while the new ones have a phenolic joint ring.
Both uses the United Joint. The new MSP series gives you more choices and the woods used look really good.
MSP cues are spliced, but the other Mezz cues are fully cored if I`m not mistaken.
They do feel very much the same, as do the Exceed cues, so it`s mostly cosmetical.

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have joint diameters, weight, and balance points of the 3/8 - 10 style 700 and 900 series shafts? I saw on another thread that the United styles were about 3.8 to 3.9 ounces.

I wanted to see how the shafts would effect the overall balance point and weight of my cue...

Thanks to all for the many great posts in this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll weight mine as soon as I get home from work and post the result, Wavy WX700.
If you could also provide the balance point distance from the joint, that would be great too...many thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wavy joint WX700, 3.7oz and balance point 29cm from joint.
United WX700 4.6oz, 25cm from joint.

Robvandam

PooOooL
Wavy joint WX700, 3.7oz and balance point 29cm from joint.
United WX700 4.6oz, 25cm from joint.
Wow you have a 4.6oz wx700.
Thats almost as heavy as a Mezz Di Pro H shaft.
Is this by any chance a 30 inch shaft? Or one that you requested with a thicker taper?

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it is very heavy for a Mezz, but its is still just a regular WX700 with normal length and taper. Maybe the insert in the shaft weights a bit and the wood is a bit denser than usually? All I know is that it hits great and plays well :)
I have a 1st gen predator with United joint, will see what that weights and ill post that too :thumbup:

E: 4oz for the Predator.

Last edited:

Robvandam

PooOooL
Yes, it is very heavy for a Mezz, but its is still just a regular WX700 with normal length and taper. Maybe the insert in the shaft weights a bit and the wood is a bit denser than usually? All I know is that it hits great and plays well :)
I have a 1st gen predator with United joint, will see what that weights and ill post that too

E: 4oz for the Predator.
Cool better hang on to that piece the Mezz shafts are getting real light lately.

On a seperate note, since we're on the topic of shaft weight by any chance does anyone have any ideas as to the weight of 314 3s yet?

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got my hands on a HPII, and I'm quite surprised at how much movement it generates coming from a WD700/WX900.