when and where is an event i can attend that has alot of vendors and cues?

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off let me say i LOVE this forum. I just joined the other night because im shopping for a new cue and wanted opinions and I have learned so much. Hell i never even heard of back hand english (still dont quite understand it but im working on it). In my search people were saying try all the cues, which i cant where im at (southwest virginia). I read about valley forge, which i would drive to except its in march (as an accountant im tied up completely from jan thru april 15th).
So do any of you know an event or a pool room or something I could go to, preferably somewhere on the east coast, say from pa down to atlanta and as west to ky or tn, that i could try out alot of different cues?

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:
Hell i never even heard of back hand english (still dont quite understand it but im working on it).

Welcome to the club. I dont have a clue in hell what backhand english is and I am a long time member of this board. :p

As for a place to go, the Valley Forge you mentioned is supposedly awesome. I know it is one of the only events Whitten cases actually show up at to show their wares. The BCA 8-ball tournament in Vegas is pretty good for the number of booths and dealers, nothing like Valley forge but still pretty great selection there. There are some pool halls that have a large selection of cues for sale as well. Hawian Brian's place supposedly has a good selection usually. If I were you and really wanted to hit the best selection though I would call in sick or something and hit up VF for a day or two.

Last edited:

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Celtic said:
Welcome to the club. I dont have a clue in hell what backhand english is and I am a long time member of this board. :p

As for a place to go, the Valley Forge you mentioned is supposedly awesome. I know it is one of the only events Whitten cases actually show up at to show their wares. The BCA 8-ball tournament in Vegas is pretty good for the number of booths and dealers, nothing like Valley forge but still pretty great selection there. There are some pool halls that have a large selection of cues for sale as well. Hawian Brian's place supposedly has a good selection usually. If I were you and really wanted to hit the best selection though I would call in sick or something and hit up VF for a day or two.

lol well the problem is im a selfemployed partner, i cant call in sick

JimBo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:
I read about valley forge, which i would drive to except its in march (as an accountant im tied up completely from jan thru april 15th).

There is no other event to do what you want, I know you may think you're busy but I'd say drive up on a sat afternoon after putting in 5 early hours and drive back Sunday afternoon, you will not regret it.

Jim

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Scotty,

There is no other venue east of the Mississippi River period! Starting sometime around the end of January, I would call Allen Hopkins. He would be able to tell you who will be there to exhibit. From my memory, I can't think of a major cue designer, craftsman/engineer or major manufacturer who does not attend! Save your time and money. I have their e-mail address if you want to PM me.

camargored

Camargo Red Cues
Silver Member
events

DCC on jan 14 - 22 only thing i can think of lots of cues .bring your id and credit card to hold while you go try them.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
camargored said:
DCC on jan 14 - 22 only thing i can think of lots of cues .bring your id and credit card to hold while you go try them.
what is dcc? i might could swing that date, we dont get really busy til about jan 25th usually

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:
what is dcc? i might could swing that date, we dont get really busy til about jan 25th usually

Scotty,

About one fifth of the vendors at the DCC. Its a great event. Maybe the best event for the players. Most of the cue guys are re-sellers. For your money, I'd wait for the Billiards Expo! Its the best event for the cue guys on this coast.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
papi said:
What's the best expo for us guys on the west coast?

Last I heard, there is a cue maker show held in Salt Lake City. The BCA Expo used to be in Vegas. I'm not sure where they are showing in 2005. Good luck.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to Derby City its worth the trip.

I recommend DCC. I always buy at least one cue there each year and the vendors have tables to try them out. It is the best tourneyment period. The Valley Forge seemed more like a cue vendor show. I did meet alot of the cuemakers that I have bought cues from there.

If you cant decide,,,,go to both. Okay, I am a sick, sick man.

ken

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
papi said:
What's the best expo for us guys on the west coast?
The BCA show in April is best for the west coast. It is a wholesale show, so you have to be in business to get in. I set up at 11 annual BCA trade shows in a row, but now that I moved back to Georgia it is just too expensive and too far to justify anymore. I will be setting up in Valley Forge this March along with some really great cuemakers from the ICA.
Chris
www.cuesmith.com
www.internationalcuemakers.com

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Papi,

I just checked the bca-pool.com website. The BCA trade show is in Vegas next April. Sorry for the incorrect info. I believe it moves to Houston in 2006. Remember, to get into the show, you must be part of the industry. If you aren't, ask your local pool room if they are going. If not, they may allow you to apply for their admittance badge. We did it all the time in the consumer electronics industry.

Vicki

Mrs. Capone
Silver Member
US Open

The previous posters are correct... the Super Billiards Expo in March is the best event in pool. Derby City Classic is a close second but it is much more of a tournament than a product expo like Super Billiards Expo. Someone said one fifth the exhibitors at DCC vs. SBE... try more like a hundredth. DCC will get it done if you need to try and buy a cue and you will have the time of your life!

Sounds like you are a tax man if you're held up til April 15th but, believe me, SBE would be worth filing an extention for a couple of clients. (Although your business partners may disagree!)

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the US Open. Not as many vendors as SBE, about the same as DCC, but enough to pick out any cue you could want. Tables to hit balls on. New, used, custom, production... you name it.

Good luck!

Last edited:

billlaur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:
lol well the problem is im a selfemployed partner, i cant call in sick
HEY ,SCOTTYCOYOTE,VALLEY FORGE IS THE BEST IN THE AREA ,NOT TO FAR FOR YOU.YOU NEED TO GET YOUR PRIORITIES RIGHT..TAKE A DAY OR TWO OFF,ENJOY,TOULL SURVIVE...