Lets get honest about Meuccis

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I have hit with one before and thought, meh okay could be worse.

What I really want to know though is on cues like the gambler and some of their more "fancy" and expensive designs, what do they use for inlays..?

Most of their cues appear to just have stickers all over them with a 8 layers of clear cot on top.

Even the "Pro" series don't even look like they have visible wood..

ALSO What the hell is a power piston. It isn't explained at all just something vague about it being powerful.

From what a few people say, the new pro shaft is supposed to be unbelievable. If so, good for Bob, but I want answers!

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
I just want to know why a modern Crown Jewel is like $1,800 :eek: No Ivory or anything in that cue.

Some of the old "Originals" first runs used Ivory, but not many of them.

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO most of the Meuccis I have seen look like fancy spears due to the taper. Unless it is a thicker shaft, I can't stand the taper. Once during a doubles tournament I had to borrow my partner's Meucci and I shot like s**t because I could not get comfortable with the cue. The designs are not my cup of tea either. I'm not knocking anyone who chooses to shoot with a Meucci but to each his own.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Meucci Originals hit very nice. But if you're one of those "low deflection" guys, you might not like them. As the years rolled on, the general consensus is that their quality has gotten worse (and I put that nicely). I've only played with Originals, so can't really attest to any models not scribed "Original" on the butt.

If you really want one, buy one of the classic Originals. They're not that expensive and hit a ton better than their more modern cousins. Plus they're always cool to have in the bag too, and shouldn't have much of a problem reselling it should you choose. Suppose you could always fit another shaft to one if you wanted to also. I still bust out my 88-3 from time-to-time, but it's not for sale :)

PS: They used some ivory, but alot of stained wood and other materials for their inlay work. Not an expert on their construction, so can't really answer your questions directly.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be playing pool at the meucci factory next wed night.

I will see if I can get you some answers.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
All I know is since Jason shaw switched cues, to. Meucci, he's won a whole lot more

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jayson Shaw could win with a piece of straw, but that's another story. I love the Meucci look, but when I got one, I couldn't throw a ball in the ocean from the beach. Might have just been a bad day, but I won't buy one again without trying it first.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You said it all!!

The Meucci Originals hit very nice. But if you're one of those "low deflection" guys, you might not like them. As the years rolled on, the general consensus is that their quality has gotten worse (and I put that nicely). I've only played with Originals, so can't really attest to any models not scribed "Original" on the butt.

If you really want one, buy one of the classic Originals. They're not that expensive and hit a ton better than their more modern cousins. Plus they're always cool to have in the bag too, and shouldn't have much of a problem reselling it should you choose. Suppose you could always fit another shaft to one if you wanted to also. I still bust out my 88-3 from time-to-time, but it's not for sale :)

PS: They used some ivory, but alot of stained wood and other materials for their inlay work. Not an expert on their construction, so can't really answer your questions directly.

Your 100% on, Cliff Joyner wont use anything else, I think James Walden still uses his to and both those guys can play a little!

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with a Airplane remake that had an exposed leather wrap, balance was ok and hit was like a Pechauer or Mcdermott. Would I ever buy a Meucci, no thanks.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 'Originals' play very smooth like butter. Spinning, stopping and drawing the ball with unfounded ease.

But ya got to like the taper and 'whip'. Excellent on BB's. I have and have had many cues and if you have not tried out one of the 'Originals' do not knock.

You can try one for $200-$350 and unlike allot here, if you do not like flip it without any loss. They have a cult following and I no why.

Have a good weekend,

-Kat

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I've seen and played with more original Meucci cues than you can shake a stick at....Bob made some great cues over the years, and some play and played great. Of course the newer variety production cues are different in playability, feel, etc. Some older original cues were uniquely made to play great, and look great secondarily. Of course road runner and some SE edition cues are very collectable to the right guy. And many early 1 offs, or limited editions like this one....Meucci originals joint says 001 A. Opals and silver inlays. No telegraphing of the inlays after how many years....? Some cues just play well or fit the person's style well, or both.

Attachments

• IMG_20150603_115932102.jpg
    IMG_20150603_115932102.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,088
  • IMG_20150603_115947877.jpg
    IMG_20150603_115947877.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,084

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i consider meucci to be the worse cues ever

i bought 17 one time
all were warped
they would allow no return

i actually hate everything about them

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i bought 17 one time
all were warped

That's what you get for forgetting you had them in the back of your trunk for a month.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Yep

i bought 17 one time
all were warped

Same story here to except it was 3 cues and they would not warranty them........
This was in 2006.

I am still not happy about how I was ripped off , I rather play a McDermott lucky any day of the week.

Earlier this year I met Mike Massey for the first time, Buffalo/s billiards reno, super nice guy.

He was playing with a custom meucci he said he designed himself .
I did say anything about my dis like for the meucci black dot cues , but I did think about it.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I have hit with one before and thought, meh okay could be worse.

What I really want to know though is on cues like the gambler and some of their more "fancy" and expensive designs, what do they use for inlays..?
I have no idea.

Most of their cues appear to just have stickers all over them with a 8 layers of clear cot on top.

Even the "Pro" series don't even look like they have visible wood..

ALSO What the hell is a power piston. It isn't explained at all just something vague about it being powerful.
Many years ago I bought a Meucci Power Piston "Demo" cue. The cue was all black with a white plastic joint and buttcap and had a black dot shaft. The cue started falling apart almost immidiately, but the worst part was the playability, or lack thereof. I believe the theory of the "Power Piston" is that the butt is more flexible than a regular cue butt, in order for it to act like a spring.

It has a soft plastic joint (which is of a thinner diameter than usual and has a thin 5/16 * 18 pin). The butt is covered by a plastic sleeve and has a threaded plastic tube in the middle (I don't know how far up the butt it goes). It is possible to screw in weights far up into the butt to give the desired balance.

The actual effect of having a butt that bends more than usual is that it is very difficult to control the power shots, and the cue just doesn't feel solid on those. I let a lot of people try my power piston cue, and not ONE of them liked it...I believe that cues should have a certain thickness and stiffness around the joint area, or they will not feel solid and be less controllable. I think Bob Meucci has tried to experiment with most cue parameters, but the joint diameter and stiffness is one that few cuemakers generally mess with too much, and for good reason...

From what a few people say, the new pro shaft is supposed to be unbelievable. If so, good for Bob, but I want answers!

A lot of people in my poolhall used to have meucci cues (older ones with red dot shafts and no dot shafts). These cues were really good (at least most of them). I would stay far away from any power piston cues though. The newer pro cues seem to be well made and different from the springy nonsense cues so they might be worth a try. But I tell all my friends never to buy a new Meucci. Buy one that has been used for at least a year. That way any issue will usually have manifested itself allready.

Last edited:

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to go way back to the 70's and 80's if you are even considering a go. I am with many of the haters here with the brand until I snagged and played very nice & straight non-adulterated 'Original' Meucci. They have the hit and feel of the old sought after Hueblers.

-Kat

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
ALSO What the hell is a power piston.

Wish that I could tell you, other than I have one and have wondered myself.
If you ever find out, PM me please.

I am not a huge Fan on Meucci's inlays designs. Most likely never will be.

I might like to own a Gambler some day, but just for the heck of it.

My PP 1 is Black and White.

I like it just fine. Never a problem with it. But that is where my Love Affair with my Meucci starts and stops.

The extra long ferrule came loose once. What a dumb looking tenon. Looked like it was made in a Kindergarten Wood Work Class. I glued it back on.

Last edited: