another rules question

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player A is shooting at a "break ball" with the other 14 ball having been racked. But Player A decides to call a safe shot and then shoots the "break ball" into a pocket.

This means that the 15th ball will be spotted on the foot spot and Player B shoots the CB from where it stopped.

Rules question... does Player B have the right to have the 15 balls reracked so that the rack is tight or does the ball simply get spotted reguardless of if it will stay tight in the rack or not? Or, does Player A have the final say?

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Player A is shooting at a "break ball" with the other 14 ball having been racked. But Player A decides to call a safe shot and then shoots the "break ball" into a pocket.

This means that the 15th ball will be spotted on the foot spot and Player B shoots the CB from where it stopped.

Rules question... does Player B have the right to have the 15 balls reracked so that the rack is tight or does the ball simply get spotted reguardless of if it will stay tight in the rack or not? Or, does Player A have the final say?

I believe the rules changed in 2008 to allow the rerack. I do not think it is required but I think it is allowed.

Before then, it was not allowed.

As usual, I will wait for Mr. Jewett to tell us the truth and admonish us for not consulting his rules. :wink:

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the rules changed in 2008 to allow the rerack. I do not think it is required but I think it is allowed.

Before then, it was not allowed.

As usual, I will wait for Mr. Jewett to tell us the truth and admonish us for not consulting his rules. :wink:

Yep, it's allowed... but who decides yes or no is the question :confused:

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And yet another. A player lags. His ball contacts a side rail. I this a foul? I think yes and invokes a one ball penalty.

Dave Nelson

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Rules question... does Player B have the right to have the 15 balls reracked so that the rack is tight or does the ball simply get spotted reguardless of if it will stay tight in the rack or not? Or, does Player A have the final say?

Well, the WPA rules say "If the fifteenth ball of a rack needs to be spotted and the fourteen balls have not been touched, the fifteenth ball will spot on the apex spot and the referee may use the triangle to assure a tight rack."

I think a reasonable reading is that the referee is supposed to assure that the rack is tight. If he has to use the triangle to do that, he will.

And since the rack is supposed to be tight, I'd think either player could ask for it to be re-racked in that situation if there is no referee. If one of the players objected to the re-rack, I'd wonder about his motive.

And yet another. A player lags. His ball contacts a side rail. I this a foul? I think yes and invokes a one ball penalty.

Dave Nelson

It's not a foul, it's a "bad" lag, with no points penalty. There are several ways to produce a bad lag. You cannot win the lag with a bad lag. If the lag is bad by both players, they must do it again.