Pool Cue Case

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how are the JB cases when it comes to rain?

i walk to my pool hall and no matter how much it pours my noname nylon case keeps everything dry
I applied Scotch-guard when I got my rugged and it lives up to it's name

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a 3x6 Instroke case and avoid getting a 2x4.
The price will be about the same for a used case.
Make sure the case is made out of hard leather.

If you enjoy playing pool, at some point you will
be adding a break cue or jump cue and a 2x4
doesn’t work with that but a 3x6 case does work.

I have a 2x4 Instroke sitting in the closet. It was
my first Instroke purchase and I wound up buying
two more Instroke cases but they were 3x6 cases.

Ironically, those cases are sitting in my closet with
a Instroke 4x8 soft leather case. Instroke makes a
great case but I needed a 6x12 case so I had Gil
Castillo make me a 6x12 in cordovan Ringtail Lizard.

Make sure whatever brand case you decide, just get
a 3x6, not 2x4, and be sure to make it hard leather too.
Get a case that works for what you now have & future.
A pre-owned 3x6 Instroke, or equivalent, is the way to go.

Matt B.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
how are the JB cases when it comes to rain?

i walk to my pool hall and no matter how much it pours my noname nylon case keeps everything dry

Joey Gray, professional player, and Jackson Cook, up and coming junior player, both had the cases soaked and the cues were nice and dry when they were opened.

I have stood them outside in pouring rain to show people the water resistance.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
hmmm.

Our experience with thousands of cases says otherwise. But please tell us why you think this and I will address your concerns.

Best,

John Barton
JB Cases

The material is not good for cues. Even the "loose fit" tears at linen and puts marks in the finish.

I have personally seen it ruin the irreplaceable linen on vintage cues. Causing pilling where a ProLite or similar style material does not.

If you play with wrapless Sneaky Pete cues, more power to you. Anything else.gets hurt by the material. If I could get an Ultimate Rugged with a premium interior, it would be the only case worth owning. The body and the nylon are excellent. Great ideas with the handles and placement of pockets. Overall a great case, but the interior is a deal breaker.

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a Rusty Melton, jim Murnak, and use a Whitten as my current case. So I know what the interiors are like on a good case. I can assure anybody reading this that the JB cases have a very good interior in quality and design. I do not own a JB case but many people I know do. They are all happy with the cases.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The material is not good for cues. Even the "loose fit" tears at linen and puts marks in the finish.

I have personally seen it ruin the irreplaceable linen on vintage cues. Causing pilling where a ProLite or similar style material does not.

If you play with wrapless Sneaky Pete cues, more power to you. Anything else.gets hurt by the material. If I could get an Ultimate Rugged with a premium interior, it would be the only case worth owning. The body and the nylon are excellent. Great ideas with the handles and placement of pockets. Overall a great case, but the interior is a deal breaker.

Having used JB cases for years with all sorts of cues including liinen, leather, and wrapless, I completely disagree. Never had one damage a cue or a wrap and it’s the only interior I use. My new custom King has a JB interior and that was a big selling point. Maybe there was something unique about the linen wrap you had or maybe age had made it particularly fragile, but I’ve never seen a problem with linen wrapped cues on these interiors.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
The only thing I can recommend, is do NOT skimp on a case. Many players will spend a thousand on a cue, then turn around and put it in $100 case with no joint protectors. Save up, and purchase a nice case to protect your instrument. I do not care for the man, but I cannot say enough good things about my JB Mason case. It's phenomenal.

Josh

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having used JB cases for years with all sorts of cues including liinen, leather, and wrapless, I completely disagree. Never had one damage a cue or a wrap and it’s the only interior I use. My new custom King has a JB interior and that was a big selling point. Maybe there was something unique about the linen wrap you had or maybe age had made it particularly fragile, but I’ve never seen a problem with linen wrapped cues on these interiors.
Agreed, my cues go in and out of my Rugged 3 nights a week.
Leather, linen, no wrap my cues look like new.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB cases are very good as pointed out by others. I just picked up a Castille leather "soft" 2 x 4 case, the new one and very pleased with it.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

I firmly disagree about the pilling. There is no way that the fabric we use causes pilling on irish linen wraps. nor does it, nor can it scratch a finish. I have been using the same fabric for 30 years since Instroke and through JB Cases. I have tested this fabric dozens of times. Made videos about it. Challenged people to come to my booth and rub a cue in a mastubatory fashion for hours if they think it will scratch the finish.

None of my personal cues, including my vintage ones, have been in any way damaged by our interior.

I have just spent 30 minutes rubbing the irish linen on my Joss, on my Jim Buss, and on my Richard Harris with no change to any of them. All three cues were kept inside our interiors. I don't see any way that our fabric could induce pilling.

Nor is our fabric liner in any way harder than a cured finish and as such cannot affect a cue's finish with normal use.

A claim such as you have made makes me sick to hear it. Cue protection is my number one goal and for you to say that our cases cause damage to ALL cues, wrap and finish, is horrible. Another case maker made a claim that our interiors would dull a finish so I created a polishing pad comprised of our fabric backed by the same foam rubber we use and let people rub my cues all weekend with zero dulling on any of them.

So, without actual evidence I have to firmly reject your claims. I am not saying that you didn't have a cue or more as you claim where there was a problem with the irish linen but I will say that I am confident that the problem was not caused by our interior.

If needed I will make another video amply proving this.

At this point there are tens of thousands of JB Cases out there and if our interiors were doing what you say then everyone would know about it.

I am always willing to try and reproduce any claim and this one has been clearly debunked many times over.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB Cases are the best available. I have been using them for decades with no damage to any cues EVER!

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
So, never one to leave stuff alone, I went to do some research. Waxed irish linen thread pretty much does not pill. Especially when it is pressed in my opinion.

I apologize but claims that a JB Case interior damaged a cue, which is then extrapolated to all cues by the claimant, really really bothers me.

For those who don't know linen is made from the flax plant. Flax allows for long and strong fibers. The cord known as Irish linen comes from mills in Ireland and is available in plys (twisted strands) of 2,4,6, 12, etc... It is exceptionally strong and resistant to friction and abrasion.

In short a weaker, softer fabric has virtually no chance to impair this cord at all as it is used on cue cases.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, never one to leave stuff alone, I went to do some research. Waxed irish linen thread pretty much does not pill. Especially when it is pressed in my opinion.

I apologize but claims that a JB Case interior damaged a cue, which is then extrapolated to all cues by the claimant, really really bothers me.

For those who don't know linen is made from the flax plant. Flax allows for long and strong fibers. The cord known as Irish linen comes from mills in Ireland and is available in plys (twisted strands) of 2,4,6, 12, etc... It is exceptionally strong and resistant to friction and abrasion.

In short a weaker, softer fabric has virtually no chance to impair this cord at all as it is used on cue cases.
Pressed, Waxed and Polished , yes, that's the way to do it, love it.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB 'ultra pad' Interiors on a few of my cases for 2-4 years. Top shelf. Secure and safe.

Must be loaded correctly

-Kat,