New Guy Watching Pro Pool

Schwim

Registered
Beginner here... What's the best way?
New to watching, and I'm hooked.

Last weekend was great for Turning Stone on FB, I had to resurrect an old account I haven't been on in over ten years, but it was worth it.

Before that, just for fun and new experience, I bought the match between Aranas and Wilke... cool, but I think I overpaid for the experience.

I'm looking at the Derby coming up, but not sure about it. Saw "action room" streaming, but don't know if that is what I want to buy? Thanks

It would be nice to have a standardized venue, but I get it.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check the live stream forum. There are frequently live streams on weekends. Some free, some PPV.

There are also tons of archived pool matches on youtube. For fun watch one of the "street" matches from the Philippines.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are tons of matches online. Pretty great time we live in, that we can sit in our comfy chairs and see these matches.

Sometimes, when I am feeling particularly kingly...I pause the vid and go to the bathroom. I don't miss a moment!

Haha...find a player you like and search. There's gold in them thar hills.

Of particular excellence is pov pool. Check out that YouTube channel for a year or more's distraction.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... There are also tons of archived pool matches on youtube. ...
Live matches are a lot more fun to watch for me, but I think the OP could watch some YouTube and pick out particular players he wants to see more of and then pay for a stream.

As for DCC, I think you need to go and see it live at least once. In that list I would include the International Open in VA, the US Open in Vegas, and the Mosconi Cup, preferably in Europe for the change of scene.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Youtube for everything old and new.

I've gotten into my head for whatever reason to watch SVB 9-ball matches on Monday before the my 9-ball tourny and 8 ball matches with Corey on Tuesday before that tourny.

SVB is an obvious choice but for Corey on the bar box 8 ball...I just like the way he does it for some reason.

That's my ritual for Mon and Tues. The other days, I watch whatever pool my youtube feed gives me.

Good luck

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I can vouch for the awesomeness of POV pool, and YouTube in general. Many free hours of pool, I’ve spent years watching.

If you don’t mind a lil cash Vimeo has a bunch of accustats videos. It’s cool because you have the “make it happen” series on there and I like watching a whole round robin tournament. Small tourney with top players all playing each other and you can watch every match in the order it happened, in a relatively short time.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beginner here... What's the best way?
New to watching, and I'm hooked.

Last weekend was great for Turning Stone on FB, I had to resurrect an old account I haven't been on in over ten years, but it was worth it.

Before that, just for fun and new experience, I bought the match between Aranas and Wilke... cool, but I think I overpaid for the experience.

I'm looking at the Derby coming up, but not sure about it. Saw "action room" streaming, but don't know if that is what I want to buy? Thanks

It would be nice to have a standardized venue, but I get it.

I can't figure out if you like bicycles or water.

Just watch all the online matches, you will be busy for a year. The CSI produced stuff tends to be pretty good for quality of the video and commentary. Also find the older matches that are on Ray Carlton's channel for the ESPN stuff.

You can get the AccuStats subscription for a few months and watch their more recent events all you want for a monthly fee.

TAR matches are also out there to buy and pretty cheap for long multi day matches.

Also I will be in Michegan in a few months again and if you are in the area where I am I'd be glad to meet up and show you what I have for AccuStats DVDs. Send me a PM with where you are from and I'll see where I'll be when I get there.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind that the commentary from Turningstone is made by people that know nothing about pool, except for Danny DeLiberto. (and they don't believe him)
"I think he's going to play this in the corner." Yea, since it's hanging in the corner, that would be my choice too.
"Folks, he can not only run out, but he can twirl his cue like an airplane propeller as well. Multi-talented player."

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
The poolactiontv.com 6 month pass for 120.00 is a great deal if you remember to catch what's on. Then if you renew that purchase it is only 100.00 I do believe. I've also enjoyed the povpool vids as well.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind that the commentary from Turningstone is made by people that know nothing about pool, except for Danny DeLiberto. (and they don't believe him)
"I think he's going to play this in the corner." Yea, since it's hanging in the corner, that would be my choice too.
"Folks, he can not only run out, but he can twirl his cue like an airplane propeller as well. Multi-talented player."

Which is a good point...that commentary is often so bad it reduces the quality of the experience.

There are some DCC vids out there with what sounds like a couple out on a date night that happen to be watching pool, but only played it twice.

And they are narrating 1p. It is brutal.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Live matches are a lot more fun to watch for me, but I think the OP could watch some YouTube and pick out particular players he wants to see more of and then pay for a stream.

As for DCC, I think you need to go and see it live at least once. In that list I would include the International Open in VA, the US Open in Vegas, and the Mosconi Cup, preferably in Europe for the change of scene.

I agree but the youtube matches were live when they were recorded and if you don't know the outcome of the match there isn't much difference.

I greatly enjoyed Upstate Al's turning stone stream over the weekend. Danny DiLiberto was on his game in the commentary booth. His assessment of Sossei hurting himself with his slow play was spot on.