Tips for this shot.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been struggling with this shot lately. Just can't seem to make it consistently. Anybody got any tips? Hit it firm, or pocket speed? Touch of inside? Seems like I have tried it every way, and other that just shooting it another thousand times, I would appreciate any tips or words of wisdom. Do you have a particular aim point? I know it is not a half ball hit. Just seems I rattle this shot out about 30% of the time...cost me a match last night.

picture.php
[/IMG]

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
"Other than shooting it another thousand times"??

No, you need to shoot it until you don't miss it. Thousands of times.

I'll help a little, but only a little because NOTHING replaces table time:

- forget the rail is there, since you're an inch or two off anyway.

- smooth, even, level stroke.

- NO english (for now)

"An amateur practices a shot until he makes it, a pro practices a shot until he never misses".

-von

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Other than shooting it another thousand times"??

No, you need to shoot it until you don't miss it. Thousands of times.

I'll help a little, but only a little because NOTHING replaces table time:

- forget the rail is there, since you're an inch or two off anyway.

- smooth, even, level stroke.

- NO english (for now)

"An amateur practices a shot until he makes it, a pro practices a shot until he never misses".

-von

It is inside of an inch off the rail...more like 1/4-1/2 " ...if that makes a difference. Thanks for the tip...I have thought nothing about this shot since it cost me a match last night. Thing is, I practice it all the time, with inconsistent results...when it came up in the match last night, I missed it before I ever shot it.

Believe me, I have a table at home and have no problem putting the time in...I was just curious if there was anything I was missing....so I don't practice it WRONG 1000 times.:thumbup:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is a strange shot for me. I think I actually play it better with extreme inside -- enough inside to take the cue ball to the end cushion as the second rail. I suppose that's a result of playing too much 3-cushion and one pocket.:wink:

I don't think 70% is a bad make percentage for that shot depending on the table.

Edit: I forgot one point on this shot. The aim is different for a stun shot versus follow or draw, all without side spin. The stun will act like a fuller hit.

Last edited:

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It helps me if I forget about aiming at the pocket and just revert to ghost ball aiming completely.

If you hit it equal distance from the rail, then you'll make it since it is basically up the rail.

Your mind will adjust the tiny amounts it takes to hone in on exactly how to hit it.

Basically don't try to adjust by aiming at the pocket, but rather aim at the contract point.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i shoot this one often

hit it with a bit of follow and some speed so it dont turn or roll
seems to get it going on the line immediately for me

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make the shot easier until you master it. Move the cue ball closer to the rail so it's an easier shot. Once you are consistent with that, slowly move it back out and inch or so at a time.

I agree no English to start. I will shoot this with all sorts of English depending on where I want my cue ball to go.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have been struggling with this shot lately. Just can't seem to make it consistently. Anybody got any tips? Hit it firm, or pocket speed? Touch of inside? Seems like I have tried it every way, and other that just shooting it another thousand times, I would appreciate any tips or words of wisdom. Do you have a particular aim point? I know it is not a half ball hit. Just seems I rattle this shot out about 30% of the time...cost me a match last night.

picture.php
[/IMG]

The reason why you're missing this shot is because of inaccuracy and inconsistency in your stroke and aim. The inaccuracy is probably there in all of your shots but on shots like this with narrow margins of error, you can't get away with it.

To make this shot, you need to have a consistent, repeatable stroke. You also need visualization and practice. In your mind, instead of aiming at a spot on the object ball, visualize a path connecting the object ball to the pocket. Then, before getting down on the shot, envison where the cue ball needs to intersect the OB to accomplish that. Shoot the shot center ball at medium speed and no English until you're comfortable with it.

If you're able to make this shot consistently, your entire game will improve.

Last edited:

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is an idea.

Put the object ball maybe a diamond away from the corner pocket but still the same distance away from the rail. Keep the approximate distance of the cue ball from the object ball and the rail. Basically move the entire shot up the rail. Shot this version until you can make it 10 times in a row. After than, move the object ball up the rail either 1/2 diamond or a full diamond. Shoot that until you can make it 10 times in a row. Keep moving the set up further down the rail if you are continuing to make it. If you get a setup where you miss it a number of times, go back to a set up that was closer to the pocket and get the confidence back. When you get all the way to the diagram you provided, you will look at it as the same shot you made 10 times in a row from an earlier set up.

Hope that makes some sense.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason why you're missing this shot is because of inaccuracy and inconsistency in your stroke and aim. The inaccuracy is probably there in all of your shots but on shots like this with narrow margins of error, you can't get away with it.

To make this shot, you need to have a consistent, repeatable stroke. You also need visualization and practice. In your mind, instead of aiming at a spot on the object ball, visualize a path connecting the object ball to the pocket. Then, before getting down on the shot, envison where the cue ball needs to intersect the OB to accomplish that. Shoot the shot at medium speed and no english until you're comfortable with it.

If you're able to make this shot consistently, your entire game will improve.

I feel my stroke is pretty consistent. I worked with Scott Lee earlier this year and I am very diligent about my mother drills practice...of course I could be wrong. But based on my SPF feedback , I feel I am pretty consistent.

It seems to be more an issue of pace and contact point...Thanks for the advice.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is an idea.

Put the object ball maybe a diamond away from the corner pocket but still the same distance away from the rail. Keep the approximate distance of the cue ball from the object ball and the rail. Basically move the entire shot up the rail. Shot this version until you can make it 10 times in a row. After than, move the object ball up the rail either 1/2 diamond or a full diamond. Shoot that until you can make it 10 times in a row. Keep moving the set up further down the rail if you are continuing to make it. If you get a setup where you miss it a number of times, go back to a set up that was closer to the pocket and get the confidence back. When you get all the way to the diagram you provided, you will look at it as the same shot you made 10 times in a row from an earlier set up.

Hope that makes some sense.

This is a good idea, I think it is basically what rburgoyne was saying in his post. Will try it tonight.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I feel my stroke is pretty consistent. I worked with Scott Lee earlier this year and I am very diligent about my mother drills practice...of course I could be wrong. But based on my SPF feedback , I feel I am pretty consistent.

It seems to be more an issue of pace and contact point...Thanks for the advice.

If your stroke is accurate, then humor me and just try to visualize the object ball path, and in your mind, connect the cue ball to it, then shoot. You might come back with some new ideas. In other words, when aiming, focus your mind on how the object ball will react to your aim, not just the cue ball contact point. If you can't make this shot with center ball at medium speed, nothing else is going to help. I might post a video later. I just got some new Aramith Tournament balls and can't wait to show them off.

Last edited:

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play that shot similar to what Mr. Jewett said. A lot of inside English, and I aim at the contact point. I make it about 80% of the time.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But how do you miss it? Are you catching the side rail early, or the end rail...or both?

I'd think you have an aiming error; what you think is going to happen is different that what actually happens.

For me, it is usually a cling issue, forcing the on to the side rail early...so I will aim that one at the end rail's pocket facing.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The good thing about rail shots are...you have tracks, literally all the way to the pocket.

The lines down the table under rails, use them to guide you. I have used them for rail shots

for a long time. They always end up in a pocket. Hope this can shed some light on it.

If anything you can use them as a reference line.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
As a game ball, I’ve been playing this with outside spin all my life.

AE539DD4-904A-468A-8B18-597776EA9A71.jpeg

In t his case, low left, just hard enough to park whitey on the end rail.....
...in case I rattle it

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I'm surprised by you guys who use a specific type of English for this shot. Every shot requires shape for the next shot, unless you don't have another ball to put in.

Learn that shot w no English, then learn to get shape off of it with follow and draw, then play with English on it.

I agree with poster above. Make it easy, do it straight in 10 times in a row, then move the CB over a half or full ball.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The good thing about rail shots are...you have tracks, literally all the way to the pocket.

The lines down the table under rails, use them to guide you. I have used them for rail shots

for a long time. They always end up in a pocket. Hope this can shed some light on it.

If anything you can use them as a reference line.

The lines are only the path though? If the ob clings or doesn't, the contact point is very different.

A map tells you where, not how.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I like the progressive practice suggestions. Also the advice to ignore the rail (except as a guide to the pocket) and aim it like any shot.

I'd learn it first with rolling CB / no side spin, to establish that baseline for yourself. Then when aiming with other hits you'll know what aiming adjustment you're making.

pj
chgo

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Touch of inside is best for me. I used to dog in past most of time. Low deflection cue you probably can aim then it hair thicker than half ball(or half ball). I prefer stun and firm stroke.
But nowadays I don´t care what spin I use on this. That touch of inside mostly did teach me away from bad habit of using always outside english for "gearing" cuts in.