Aramith Red Circle

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Well, now that I have *three* Brunswick Centennial Blue Circle cue balls ( another thread in the forum ), I thought I might as well take the "Old School" fetish one step farther. So, a few days ago,I ordered an Aramith Red Circle cue ball from PoolDawg.com. I know nothing of the history of the Red Circle, but I clearly recall it being the ball that took the place of the Blue Circle in the room I go to ( and have been since 67 ).

Does anyone have any info about the Red Circle? Was it ever part of a Centennial Set? I'm thinking no, but I've really no idea. Was it a Brunswick cue ball made by Aramith or was it totally separate from Brunswick? I remember playing with them for years after the Blue Circle went bye bye ( in our room, anyway... ).

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Well, now that I have *three* Brunswick Centennial Blue Circle cue balls ( another thread in the forum ), I thought I might as well take the "Old School" fetish one step farther. So, a few days ago,I ordered an Aramith Red Circle cue ball from PoolDawg.com. I know nothing of the history of the Red Circle, but I clearly recall it being the ball that took the place of the Blue Circle in the room I go to ( and have been since 67 ).

Does anyone have any info about the Red Circle? Was it ever part of a Centennial Set? I'm thinking no, but I've really no idea. Was it a Brunswick cue ball made by Aramith or was it totally separate from Brunswick? I remember playing with them for years after the Blue Circle went bye bye ( in our room, anyway... ).

The Red Circle did not take the place of the Blue Circle. The original Hyatt (Albany) Blue Dot took the place of the Blue Circle, when the Blue Circles wore out. Aramith continued the practice of producing the Blue Dot, but it gets very little purchase, due to the appearance of other cue balls, such as the Red Circle, Measle Ball, and the Super Pro.

The Red Circle is in a class of its own, not included with any ball set, unlike the Aramith Measle and Super Pro. This includes the Centennial set, upon which you asked.

The Red Circle is a smoother finish, most would say a bit more translucent, and a bit more yellow color, especially when new. Some say a carom finish, they may be right, as the Red Circle cleans more easily than the others, and moves around the table more easily.

There is no size and weight difference among them, be quick to dispell that myth.

Hope that answers your questions.

All the best,
WW

simco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a new red circle cue ball. Used to ask for the blue circle when i played some where they used centennials.The Aramith is not the old light weight cue ball favored
by many 9 ball players.It weighs 5.92 oz. on my scales,I never checked the blue circle.
The red circle stays cleaner than the blue circle, imo.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

The Red Circle was a standalone cueball (at least, I bought mine as a standalone, packaged product). Saluc used a resin used for carom billiard balls rather than the phenolic formula used for pool balls. The results are a bouncier ball (higher Coefficient of Restitution) that players have reported as being easier to draw.

Freddie

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
The Red Circle did not take the place of the Blue Circle. The original Hyatt (Albany) Blue Dot took the place of the Blue Circle, when the Blue Circles wore out. Aramith continued the practice of producing the Blue Dot, but it gets very little purchase, due to the appearance of other cue balls, such as the Red Circle, Measle Ball, and the Super Pro.

The Red Circle is in a class of its own, not included with any ball set, unlike the Aramith Measle and Super Pro. This includes the Centennial set, upon which you asked.

The Red Circle is a smoother finish, most would say a bit more translucent, and a bit more yellow color, especially when new. Some say a carom finish, they may be right, as the Red Circle cleans more easily than the others, and moves around the table more easily.

There is no size and weight difference among them, be quick to dispell that myth.

Hope that answers your questions.

All the best,
WW

Thanks for the info, WW. I do want to clear up one of your points. I did not say ( as I have no idea ) the Red Circle "replaced" the Blue Circle "at large" ( which I assume is to what you refer when saying "The Red Circle did not take the place of the Blue Circle" ). I said it merely replaced the Blue Circle "in the room" I frequent. Nice to now know it was never part of a set and was, basically,, a "free wheel". Do you know if it was, in fact, made for Brunswick? Or was it simply available from Aramtih?

Michael Andros

Silver Member
The Red Circle was a standalone cueball. Saluc used a resin used for carom billiard balls rather than the phenolic formula used for pool balls. The results are a bouncier ball (higher Coefficient of Restitution) that players have reported as being easier to draw.

Freddie

Thanks Freddie. So it draws more efficiently due to compound, not weight or size, correct? Interesting to know... Any Brunswick connection at all?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info, WW. I do want to clear up one of your points. I did not say ( as I have no idea ) the Red Circle "replaced" the Blue Circle "at large" ( which I assume is to what you refer when saying "The Red Circle did not take the place of the Blue Circle" ). I said it merely replaced the Blue Circle "in the room" I frequent. Nice to now know it was never part of a set and was, basically,, a "free wheel". Do you know if it was, in fact, made for Brunswick? Or was it simply available from Aramtih?

The Red Circle is made by Saluc of Belgium maker of the Aramith brand as an Aramith product. I believe it was officially called the Aramith Champion Circle cueball.

Freddie <~~~ no champion

Michael Andros

Silver Member
The Red Circle is made by Saluc of Belgium maker of the Aramith brand as an Aramith product. I believe it was officially called the Aramith Champion Circle cueball.

Freddie <~~~ no champion

Thanks Freddie!

(you're a champion in my book, sir! :grin: )

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

With all due respect, your original post did seem to ask if the Red Circle replaced the Blue Circle. It did not; the Blue Dot was the original replacement, when the operation was in Albany, NY.

To answer your second question, the Blue Circle has always been made for Brunswick, as part of the Centennial set, whether made in Albany, or Belgium. The Red Circle was never made for Brunswick, but was rather, a stand-alone cue ball.

All the best,
WW

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The results are a bouncier ball (higher Coefficient of Restitution) that players have reported as being easier to draw.

Freddie

I am in the camp that believes the Red Circle cue ball is easier to draw...and I mean a LOT easier. I cannot count on my fingers and toes how many times I've overdrawn that cue ball trying to get position. Now whenever one winds up on the table I'm about to play on, I try to get in several or more practice draw shots before I play with it. YMMV

Maniac (What do YOU think, Fred?)

Michael Andros

Silver Member
With all due respect, your original post did seem to ask if the Red Circle replaced the Blue Circle. It did not; the Blue Dot was the original replacement, when the operation was in Albany, NY.

To answer your second question, the Blue Circle has always been made for Brunswick, as part of the Centennial set, whether made in Albany, or Belgium. The Red Circle was never made for Brunswick, but was rather, a stand-alone cue ball.

All the best,
WW

Thanks again, WW, much appreciated.

In regard to replacing, I think the word "seem" in this post is the telltale heart, as it were... in my OP, I clearly qualified "replaced" with the room which I frequent, ( "but I clearly recall it being the ball that took the place of the Blue Circle in the room I go to" ) strictly for the sake of clarity. Thank you again! :grin-square:

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I am in the camp that believes the Red Circle cue ball is easier to draw...and I mean a LOT easier. I cannot count on my fingers and toes how many times I've overdrawn that cue ball trying to get position. Now whenever one winds up on the table I'm about to play on, I try to get in several or more practice draw shots before I play with it. YMMV

Maniac (What do YOU think, Fred?)

I draw Whitey a lot and I seem to recall the Red Circle drawing more easily than the Blue Circle but it's been a lot of years since I've played with it. I look forward to seeing the difference in a few days.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Thanks again, WW, much appreciated.

In regard to replacing, I think the word "seem" in this post is the telltale heart, as it were... in my OP, I clearly qualified "replaced" with the room which I frequent, ( "but I clearly recall it being the ball that took the place of the Blue Circle in the room I go to" ) strictly for the sake of clarity. Thank you again! :grin-square:

Noted, and I understand what you mean. You should have gotten to many more rooms, in the 60s and 70s. Of course, the Centennial set was the standard, and as the Blue Circles wore too small, there were two options at the time. One was an unmarked ball, made by Hyatt. The other was the Blue Dot. Room owners pretty much knew that players expected some kind of marking on the ball, so they pretty much opted for the Blue Dot, at the time.

As for replacing the Blue Circle, you could make the case that not only the Red Circle, but the Measle Ball, and the Aramith Super Pro have arguably replaced the Blue Circle cue ball, depending on where you play, and how long that room has been in existence. But, it helps to go back to the 60s and 70s.

All the best,
WW

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Noted, and I understand what you mean. You should have gotten to many more rooms, in the 60s and 70s. Of course, the Centennial set was the standard, and as the Blue Circles wore too small, there were two options at the time. One was an unmarked ball, made by Hyatt. The other was the Blue Dot. Room owners pretty much knew that players expected some kind of marking on the ball, so they pretty much opted for the Blue Dot, at the time.

As for replacing the Blue Circle, you could make the case that not only the Red Circle, but the Measle Ball, and the Aramith Super Pro have arguably replaced the Blue Circle cue ball, depending on where you play, and how long that room has been in existence. But, it helps to go back to the 60s and 70s.

All the best,
WW

Yeah, the Aramith Super Pro is what replaced the Red Circle in our room ( I'm thinking... 10 years or so ago? Something like that ). Back when I DID get out to other rooms regularly ( from @ 69-70-ish to the late 00s, until my back prevented it, by and large, and the year or so I spent out scuffling non-stop in 76-77 ) I never even paid attention to what cue ball any given room used or had stuck under the counter. I/we simply played the hand as it was dealt. I do recall a few players having their own balls but for the most part, I never heard any other players really discussing at length what their preferences were in cue ball types / brands, etc... except that most of us hated bar box cue balls.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Yeah, the Aramith Super Pro is what replaced the Red Circle in our room ( I'm thinking... 10 years or so ago? Something like that ). Back when I DID get out to other rooms regularly ( from @ 69-70-ish to the late 00s, until my back prevented it, by and large, and the year or so I spent out scuffling non-stop in 76-77 ) I never even paid attention to what cue ball any given room used or had stuck under the counter. I/we simply played the hand as it was dealt. I do recall a few players having their own balls but for the most part, I never heard any other players really discussing at length what their preferences were in cue ball types / brands, etc... except that most of us hated bar box cue balls.

I hear you. When you say something replaced something, it is relevant to time and location. For your enjoyment is a view of the Red Circle next to the Blue Dot, both current vintage, but the Blue Dot is very close to the original Hyatt.

Also, is an original Blue Circle from Hyatt, the unmarked from Hyatt, and a Bakelite cue ball, largely used for breaking, during the days of ivory cue balls, when people didn't want to break with the ivory cue ball.

It depends on where you were, and when you were...

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• 20131013_205339.jpg
    20131013_205339.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 655
  • Three Cue Balls.jpg
    Three Cue Balls.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 656

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I hear you. When you say something replaced something, it is relevant to time and location. For your enjoyment is a view of the Red Circle next to the Blue Dot, both current vintage, but the Blue Dot is very close to the original Hyatt.

Also, is an original Blue Circle from Hyatt, the unmarked from Hyatt, and a Bakelite cue ball, largely used for breaking, during the days of ivory cue balls, when people didn't want to break with the ivory cue ball.

It depends on where you were, and when you were...

All the best,
WW

Nice collection there! I can imagine why they would've wanted a non-ivory cue ball to break with. That would certainly suck if the cue ball split in half after the break. Not that they wouldn't have had immediate access to another cue ball, but it would absolutely have been an unwanted ( to whomever was ahead, anyway ) distraction, at best. Not to mention having had to clean the surface of possibly any small bits of ivory.

Yup, which is precisely why I made sure to say "in our room". And I do know it really had nothing to do with what was available and/or when... it was 100% the owner deciding, for his own reasons, to replace the Blue Circles with the Red Circles and then, later, the Red Circles with The Super Pros. I would've preferred he simply replaced the aging Blue Circles with new Blue Circles although I didn't really mind the Red Circles all that much. But he had his own reasons and I respect that.

I don't think I could've used that Bakelite though, even just to break... I would've been hard-pressed not to be thinking non-stop about eggs over-easy with bacon and wheat toast! :grin-square:

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the guys that think the red circle ⭕️ ball draws better is because most of them are so old they now weigh much less than a normal ball.

I weighed a bunch of balls at Buffalo’s several months ago. My personal set of Centennial balls all weigh 167/168 grams including the blue circle and measle ball. I weighed four red circle ⭕️ balls. Only one weighed 167g. One of them weighed 156g.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
For the guys that think the red circle ⭕️ ball draws better is because most of them are so old they now weigh much less than a normal ball.

I weighed a bunch of balls at Buffalo’s several months ago. My personal set of Centennial balls all weigh 167/168 grams including the blue circle and measle ball. I weighed four red circle ⭕️ balls. Only one weighed 167g. One of them weighed 156g.

No idea, as the Red Circles with which I used to play are long gone and it would've been a decade or more ago, so I honestly don't remember. But the one I'll have ( and use ) on Monday is brand new, so I'll see how much more easily, if at all, it draws.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

All depends on age and use, doesn't it? Most think the Red Circle is lighter, which it is not. Here is a pretty new one. Point is, they all start out at the same weight.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Ball Red Circle Weight.jpg
    Ball Red Circle Weight.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 242

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
think of it as two tires the same -
but one has 50 psi and the other has 60 psi -
60 psi has a sharper recoil -