Pivot or entire cue adjust?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Talking with a friend he recommend me adjusting the entire cue line.. It means parallel english becuase he advise me only the masters and very good players adjust the pivot.
To get a certain amount of spin and speed, you must hit the CB on the same spot and the cue must be angled the same amount to compensate for the amount of CB deflection ("squirt") produced by hitting that spot. No matter how you do it (pivot, "parallel", pure estimation, etc.), the cue must end up on that same angle or you'll miss the shot. You have no choice in how much to angle the cue - your only choice is how to get it there.

pj
chgo

Edit: I see Dave said the same thing while I was typing...

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes.. Front hand vs the whole cue. Difference

Enviado desde mi SNE-LX3 mediante Tapatalk
Front hand versus back hand. Most people that apply spin subconsciously, are using and have been using backhand english, but likely may not even realize it – they just do it automatically.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Most people that apply spin subconsciously, are using and have been using backhand english
Probably true, given that average squirt pivot lengths and average bridge lengths are pretty similar (10-12"). Even so, I'm sure they're often using some hybrid of backhand and fronthand english, especially for shots involving swerve.

pj
chgo

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t like the Pivot style of applying English/side spin. It just seems unnatural and awkward to me. If you’re trying to get really good and will be spending many hours a week practicing I’d say just get the natural feel of how to shoot with spin. Then when you go to shoot you will just automatically set your cue up where it needs to be. I feel like the FHE/BHE mathmatica May be a good cheat to accurately use spin quicker but ultimately will limit your skill or at least enjoyment and laser focus flow.

I use both depending on the situation. That being said I prefer BHP because I don’t have to try to figure out how much spin and proper speed for each shot. I can just pivot my back hand and shoot a straight shot! Much simpler in my mind. No compensation for spin just shoot it.

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low deflection doesn't mean no deflection.

pj

chgo
Obviosly.. The cb is an sphere so is its phisycal nature to deflect.

It was always difficult for me to learn about compensating because iam form Argentina so i speak spanish. But now i am understanding a lot.

Probably the advise my friend give me.. Wich i had commented above.. Using bhe is only for master or try to use only parallel englidh has a relation with this..
https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/sidespin/parallel-english/

In the link above it sais there is no compensation needed for moving the entire cue line parallel to tje center.

But probably is not enough.. Always the easiest way dont cover all in the best way.

To practice bhe i have to adjust the pivot line in every shoot trying to put the cue ball at the same point basically.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Using bhe is only for master or try to use only parallel englidh has a relation with this..
https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/sidespin/parallel-english/

In the link above it sais there is no compensation needed for moving the entire cue line parallel to tje center.
The page does not say this. Please read it again. There are actually some shots (with the right cue elevation, speed, distance, and conditions) where pure "parallel english" does work. Also, there is an alternative definition for "parallel english" that works for every shot, per the info on the page.

Regards,
Dave

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Youre all such miserable *****s. Hes not hard to understand and looking for help.
"Another aiming wuestion" "what ate you saying? I dont understand english written by a non american"

Jesus christ. These are the people who donated money for the wall bc the mexicans are coming for their jobs. What exacrly is the purpose of this forum? Explain it to me..
Is it not about pool? And the people who play it?

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The page does not say this. Please read it again. There are actually some shots (with the right cue elevation, speed, distance, and conditions) where pure "parallel english" does work. Also, there is an alternative definition for "parallel english" that works for every shot, per the info on the page.

Regards,
Dave
Well i refer that probably pe is an easier way.
But do you thing pe cover all? Is necessary for me learning bhe?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think you misunderstood. That only works for certain shots where the conditions (distance, speed, spin, butt elevation, cloth/ball condition etc.) produce just the right amount of swerve to exactly counteract squirt. When most people say "parallel english" they just mean they make the normal angled adjustment by feel (although they may not realize that).

The important thing to know is: for each set of conditions (distance, speed, spin, butt elevation, cloth/ball condition etc.) the adjusted cue angle must be the same no matter how you get to it.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well i refer that probably pe is an easier way.
But do you thing pe cover all? Is necessary for me learning bhe?

For most players, my opinion is that they learn to use BHE subconsciously without even knowing it. I know that’s true for myself.

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you misunderstood. That only works for certain shots where the conditions (distance, speed, spin, butt elevation, cloth/ball condition etc.) produce just the right amount of swerve to exactly counteract squirt. When most people say "parallel english" they just mean they make the normal angled adjustment by feel (although they may not realize that).

The important thing to know is: for each set of conditions (distance, speed, spin, butt elevation, cloth/ball condition etc.) the adjusted cue angle must be the same no matter how you get to it.

pj
chgo
To tell you the truth.. I have to thank everybody because i live in a small city in Argentine so there is nobody who can teach me in the right way. And this forum is the solution.. Actually im playing with sport2 predator with 314 3.