OB Goes Full Carbon

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not a fan of CF shafts only because I’ve played wood shafts for 60 years.
Making a switch at this stage is just not in the cards for me. But I’m very fussy
about the original cue shafts and always have them made to my specifications.
Nonetheless, I think CF shafts is the future with pros & players under 40 yrs. old.

It's awful to think younger pool pro's will live by "Carbon".
Give me Shaft Maple @ 4 1/4 to 4 1/2oz, maybe some "Fast" Ebony @ 15 1/4 to 15 1/2oz, Now we're shooting pool :grin-square:

I sincerely hope younger pool people let go of those light wood shafts, 3oz and 3 1/4oz, throw that stuff away.
Get some serious stick in your game. stop Fk** around, let's shoot some pool. .

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Give me Shaft Maple @ 4 1/4 to 4 1/2oz, maybe some "Fast" Ebony @ 15 1/4 to 15 1/2oz, Now we're shooting pool :grin-square:

I sincerely hope younger pool people let go of those light wood shafts, 3oz and 3 1/4oz, throw that stuff away.

I honestly laughed at CF shafts when they came out. Eventually tried the 12.9mm Revo and hated it. Later on the 12.4 mm Revo came out and I tried that. Fell in love with it. Since then I've tried about 25 different combos of CF shafts and cues. Found some I Iiked and some I didn't. Just looked in my cases the other day as I was moving things around and realized I have 7 different CF shafts in my cases. All brand new Unhit except for my Rush shaft. The reason they are Unhit is because I changed almost all of my butts so got new shafts to fit them and a couple new to test.

I'm 43 and used wood shafts for 25 years but made the change for good to CF.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have posted this so many times since joining the Forum.
The best cue-makers utilized it dating back B4 George B.

There is a weight ratio between the halves comprising any pool cue.
The top half should be in proportion to the bottom half or vice versa.

Shafts should represent at least >18% of the cue’s playing weight.
That should be the minimum but a more desirable ratio is really 20%.

In fact, some of the finest shafts made have 23-24% weight ratios.
This is based on full 13 mm shafts because the thinner the shaft &
the longer the taper, the lighter it becomes versus a 13 mm version.

That’s why there is a range and staying above 18% is the minimum and
the ideal are shafts in the 20% range. Every cue in my collection has orig.
shafts that fall within the aforementioned 20% range. They play differently.

gregnice37

Silver Member
I have posted this so many times since joining the Forum.
The best cue-makers utilized it dating back B4 George B.

There is a weight ratio between the halves comprising any pool cue.
The top half should be in proportion to the bottom half or vice versa.

Shafts should represent at least >18% of the cue’s playing weight.
That should be the minimum but a more desirable ratio is really 20%.

In fact, some of the finest shafts made have 23-24% weight ratios.
This is based on full 13 mm shafts because the thinner the shaft &
the longer the taper, the lighter it becomes versus a 13 mm version.

That’s why there is a range and staying above 18% is the minimum and
the ideal are shafts in the 20% range. Every cue in my collection has orig.
shafts that fall within the aforementioned 20% range. They play differently.

I just looked at all my data because I weigh and measure all my stuff and keep records so if anything happens to me I have some info available for my better half to sell the stuff. Out of my 7 CF shafts they range from 3.4oz - 4.3 oz and cues vary in total weight from 17.8oz -19.4oz so all the ranges fit your minimum parameters.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is likely why you enjoy the cues and the feel in your hands.

Now there are other variables like weight bolts, butt diameter, etc.
that influence the feel of your stroke. But the overall weighting just
tends to perform & feel the best when kept within these parameters.

That’s what all my cue makers used as a model for building cues &
I am delighted with the results. Anyway, just food for thought and
remember this. Advice is only worth what you paid to get it. In other
words, don’t bank on what I write. You can confirm this on your own.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Just to set the facts straight.......

OB did go through a rough time with staffing changes and it did affect the quality of our products. I became CEO of OB around October 2019. We closed the shop, stopped production and made a lot of adjustments.

It took several months for things to really get straightened out, and the biggest changes took place when Jeremy & AMY Jones took over the actual operations. We did not go through a bankruptcy.

As of right now we have a real solid staff - with several guys that have been there for years. We eliminated several shaft lines and now offer what I feel are the best shafts in the industry.

Briefly, we offer the FUSION, PHOENIX, the new CARBON (with an interchangeable insert), plus a few others that are very unique to OB. We are all American made in Plano (Dallas) Texas. Our customer service is back where it belongs and I think it warrants checking out the product line. With all the events being cancelled, it’s hard to really penetrate the market, but give OB a shot.....I think you’ll be quite impressed in the quality and the hit.

Feel free to reach out to Jeremy & Amy........

Mark Griffin

Hey Mark, hope you're fully recovered and feeling well. You were on a tough road and we've been thinking about you a lot. Hope to see you soon! Congrats on OB, I am sure they will be back in the driver's seat once pool resumes. Royce built up a great following.

Chris

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll never turn to carbon.
Don't like it at all, not its appearance, not the texture.
Can't recall anything in my world that's carbon based, except for me. :grin-square:
Almost everything in your world is carbon based.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good lord.. why is it awful to think. Why does new tech. And ideas make you old people so angry. It has a different feel and hit then wood. THATS IT!! People use different types of wood to get a different feel. Do you think people should only use one kind of wood shaft because that’s what you like? What ever you like ... play with it and stop putting down people who like something else. Whatever gives you more confidence while playing use it!
If you like a glove use one!
If you prefer the feel of the skin then don’t use a glove!
If you like master chalk use it!
If you like Kamui use it!
If you like non deflection cues.. use one!
If you don’t like them .. don’t !

See how easy that is!! Let people use what makes them more comfortable and enjoy the game.. you do you and let everyone else alone.
I have not read a single person say that they went from a c player to an a player because they got a cf shaft. All people say is they like the hit and some benefits of it and they feel more confident and games like pool and golf mental confidence is as important as all the other skills you have to develop!
I’ve been playing this game for 30 years almost daily and the back words thinking people in comparison to other successful sports and games never ceases to amaze me. It’s no wonder I’ve been enjoying golf more lately. Smh

Last edited:

pk249

Registered
Can’t see the CARBON with interchangeable insert on the OB website, is it available yet?

Just to set the facts straight.......

OB did go through a rough time with staffing changes and it did affect the quality of our products. I became CEO of OB around October 2019. We closed the shop, stopped production and made a lot of adjustments.

It took several months for things to really get straightened out, and the biggest changes took place when Jeremy & AMY Jones took over the actual operations. We did not go through a bankruptcy.

As of right now we have a real solid staff - with several guys that have been there for years. We eliminated several shaft lines and now offer what I feel are the best shafts in the industry.

Briefly, we offer the FUSION, PHOENIX, the new CARBON (with an interchangeable insert), plus a few others that are very unique to OB. We are all American made in Plano (Dallas) Texas. Our customer service is back where it belongs and I think it warrants checking out the product line. With all the events being cancelled, it’s hard to really penetrate the market, but give OB a shot.....I think you’ll be quite impressed in the quality and the hit.

Feel free to reach out to Jeremy & Amy........

Mark Griffin

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Some questions Mark,
Is it THE Jeremy Jones, pro player? Lot of respect for him, unlikely he'd get involved with so-so products (but you never know).
Also, whatever happened to the DigiCue electronic training device that OBCues was featuring for so long?
Appreciate your response and Best to You...

I'm not Mark, and certainly can't help with the DigiCue question, but per the website it is a different Jeremy Jones, not the pro player.
https://www.obcues.com/our-team/

gregnice37

Silver Member
So I just was looking at the OB site and found something on there I wish all cue buying sites had. They sell there cues butt only, then go to shaft section and pick the shaft you want. Really like that so you aren't regulated to have to take a shaft you don't want with any cue. Wish it was that easy on other sites.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I just was looking at the OB site and found something on there I wish all cue buying sites had. They sell there cues butt only, then go to shaft section and pick the shaft you want. Really like that so you aren't regulated to have to take a shaft you don't want with any cue. Wish it was that easy on other sites.

Awesome. Thanks for posting. :D

Last edited:

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried to make a nice complete response and I got a phone call and I lost my post because I had to log in again......grrrrr

Bottom line: a manufacturer is only as good as his last product Nader. OB is making the best stuff out there, and we’ve got s couple more products that aren’t released yet.

The market is tough right now, but when things open back up, you’ll hear more about OB. But I think yiu would bd wise to look at what OBcues.com gas going on.

I don’t think we hurt ourselves in the long fun. We do corrected the customer service issues and our quality control is excellent! I hope you get a chance to check out the new stuff.......

Mark Griffin

I’m still hesitant after the past issues, but I’m starting to come around. I know a couple of OB sponsored players and their cues play fantastic. I’ve hit with new OB butts, Phoenix shafts, jump cues, and break cues. All of them were fantastic. And I’m hearing really good things from those players about the products as well. Made in the USA is always a big plus for me also.

All that said, I’m not ready yet. Call me cautious, but I want to hear more about the experience the normal everyday folks have with the company before I go that route again. I’m looking, but haven’t seen too many reviews yet.