Do you guys love pool so much you over look a lot of stuff? Possibly my final post

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So this will probably be one of my final posts here. I have finally decided to quit the league I am on. The kind of nail in the coffin for me was the fact that I realized even though it would be rare I am essentially paying twice for one game of pool. Basically I found out that in the league I am in if I or my opponent makes the 8 ball on the break we have to either spot the 8 ball or re-rack.

Do you guys love the game so much that you play even though there are all the issues I have with pool? I am not sure if I love anything that much.

You need to find a straight pool partner. Work at it until you run 50.
Once you reach that level you will never quit

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I saw the thread title, and knew for sure it was click bait. Almost disapponited at not getting Rick Rolled...

The thing about complainers, is that they always find something else to complain about. Does anyone actually buy that he will leave the site after this..>?

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Jamie, do you own your own cue? If so and are quoting there is a gentleman here looking to buy his 1st cue. Maybe you can recover a few dollars you spent at league if you can sell it to him.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So this will probably be one of my final posts here. I have finally decided to quit the league I am on. The kind of nail in the coffin for me was the fact that I realized even though it would be rare I am essentially paying twice for one game of pool. Basically I found out that in the league I am in if I or my opponent makes the 8 ball on the break we have to either spot the 8 ball or re-rack.

Do you guys love the game so much that you play even though there are all the issues I have with pool? I am not sure if I love anything that much.

I actually hate pool , my reason for being here is my raging uncontrolled Masochistic Behavioural Tendencies.
You seem like the kind of guy who sees the cup half empty, which is ok, I think I suggested badminton or some other soothing past time but you said that would bother you too.
I guess all that is left is catching small bugs and putting them on pins for display in a glass case.
That always sounded like a lot of fun to me. Whatever you decide , best wishes and try to stay out of jail, that would make all your other problems seem like silly putty.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you truly love the game, nothing should make you want to quit.

When I was young and stupid I would ride my motorcycle through 18° weather, avoiding ice and snow, just to play some cheap tournament on a crappy bar box with a worped house cue. Win or lose, I kept playing as often as possible. Years later I got married and had kids and was still in love with the game and played as often as I could. Now my wife is gone and my kids are grown, and I am still playing as often as I can, at least 2 or 3 days a week for several hours. When I hear or read someone say they took a few years off, or haven't played in a few years, or whatever, I wonder how they did it. Because I'm 52 now, and since I was about 18 or 19 I've never gone more than a week or two without playing this awesome game. That's love. When you love it, you never quit, regardless of all the bullshit or bad times you inevitably have to deal with on occasion.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hoping if I respond this will be your final post.... And I'm only reading the title.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically I found out that in the league I am in if I or my opponent makes the 8 ball on the break we have to either spot the 8 ball or re-rack.

It is called "rules"
And one of the rules is you don't win or lose on the break. And if you make the designated ball, you get 2 choices, re-rack, or spot.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
He might complain that while the other guy is running he shouldn't be on the clock.

Or if for some reason they are playing to 100 and his opponent rattles off a 100 and out, does he have to pay for time since he didn't shoot?

You need to find a straight pool partner. Work at it until you run 50.
Once you reach that level you will never quit

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

From your complaining and the things you complain about, you don't really like the game. You don't need to be in a league to play pool, in fact in many cases it's better to first learn to play, then join a league since leagues are not very good places to learn to play. The players are more interested in keeping handicaps artificially low instead of teaching lower level players to play. Who wants to try to get better when you then need to actually work for a win instead of just pretending you can't play and winning due to handicaps.

I just today drove 3.5 hours round-trip to play in a fairly short race tournament, paid for gas, time sitting in the car, paid $20 entry, another $20 for two second chance tournament entries both of which I gave away to people as a gift, paid $10 for half of me in the calcutta, bought some food and drinks, spent 7 hours in the pool room and after all that I was one set out of the money (came in 5/6th where top 4 got paid). Got nothing for winning 5 matches, about 11 hours of my time and about $80 spent out of pocket counting tolls and gas cost. Then went on AZB to see what people where chatting about. That is liking the game. Being upset over paying an extra few dollars a night is just *****ing over nothing.

The "issues" you have are not really issues, you seem to just be playing in places you don't want to play in, with people you don't want to be with and on tables you don't want to pay for. Find a real pool hall with a decent hourly rate or a full day special. Not sure what you keep talking about paying for the games, most leagues open the table for league play so there is no charge per game. Spotting the 8 when it's made is a normal practice if it's not a win. I don't think I have seen a league that has a rule of a re-rack if the 8 is made, you either spot it and keep shooting or it's a win.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
dollars to donuts he doesnt quit pool or posting stupid things here. as long as people reply he is good as gold.

oops put me in that group now.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From your complaining and the things you complain about, you don't really like the game. You don't need to be in a league to play pool, in fact in many cases it's better to first learn to play, then join a league since leagues are not very good places to learn to play. The players are more interested in keeping handicaps artificially low instead of teaching lower level players to play. Who wants to try to get better when you then need to actually work for a win instead of just pretending you can't play and winning due to handicaps.

I just today drove 3.5 hours round-trip to play in a fairly short race tournament, paid for gas, time sitting in the car, paid $20 entry, another $10 second chance tournament entry which I gave away to someone as a gift, paid $10 for half of me in the calcutta, bought some food and drinks, spent 7 hours in the pool room and after all that I was one set out of the money (came in 5/6th where top 4)so got nothing for winning 5 matches. Then went on AZB to see what people where chatting about. That is liking the game. Being upset over paying an extra few dollars a night is just *****ing over nothing.

The "issues" you have are not really issues, you seem to just be playing in places you don't want to play in, with people you don't want to be with and on tables you don't want to pay for. Find a real pool hall with a decent hourly rate or a full day special. Not sure what you keep talking about paying for the games, most leagues open the table for league play so there is no charge per game. Spotting the 8 when it's made is a normal practice if it's not a win. I don't think I have seen a league that has a rule of a re-rack if the 8 is made, you either spot it and keep shooting or it's a win.

So I have explained this multiple times. I am not sure if you are not reading what I wrote or just trying to get to me. I have 1 pool hall where I live. they only have 7 rental table. No league plays on those tables. All the leagues play on coin op tables. They do not repeat do not open the tables up. There is nor really an in house league. You either play at bars or you don't play league. APA plays 8 ball win on the break.

My only pool hall is only open at 4 pm and closes at 11 pm most nights.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one has a key to retrieve the rarely made 8 ball? God forbid an extra 50¢ has to be drug out of your pocket.

What about free half-time drinks? Who am I kidding you have to spend money to buy a drink first. :wink:

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one has a key to retrieve the rarely made 8 ball? God forbid an extra 50¢ has to be drug out of your pocket.

What about free half-time drinks? Who am I kidding you have to spend money to buy a drink first. :wink:

Depends on the bar but at the ones I have asked nope. Also it is less the money and more the principal. Why should I have to pay for a mistake. If I go to a restaurant and the chef makes a mistake normally they fix it or give me my meal free or both. I do not drink alcohol.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... My only pool hall is only open at 4 pm and closes at 11 pm most nights.
Kinda like this place. Seems uninviting. This place doesn't even allow you to bring in your own food. :angry:

CropperCapture[94].jpg

Bob <-- where have all the 24-hour pool halls gone?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

I get what you're saying about league, but that's not pool. It's the small motions that make it such a beautiful game. I like playing others, competition is important, but I could play by myself for the rest of my life and find pure joy in seeing the little spheres react how I wanted them to, or do something totally bizarre that makes me scratch my head. I enjoy trying to improve at something, even if the gains are small, they add up over time.

I'd suggest finding a cheap used table and setting it up at your house if that's an option. You'll have a ton of fun on that, just pissing around in your free time. Alternately, if you've been playing too much, or just have too much going on to enjoy it, take a break. You'll probably take a few years off and come back to get the bug again.

Now that I have a table, I can't see taking over a week off, but it is a pain in the butt to find a place to play here, find decent equipment without traveling an hour etc. Depending on your location, it can just be a headache finding somewhere and someone to play.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

I am not sure why you think this stuff is trivial? Would you go play bowling if the lanes were not oiled? Would you go to a restaurant if the floor was sticky?

Take a look through this thread to see the tables and conditions and places that people who enjoy pool, and who don't have entitlement and negativity issues, play on rather than not playing. They are the types of people, like most people, who are willing to make the best of things instead of taking their football and going home. Really stop and think about some of the pictures when you look at them.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=142077

The only question you should have, and that you should do some real soul searching about, is whether the real reason for the level of your lack of enjoyment is actual lack of interest in and love for the game itself, or if it is really just your entitlement and negativity issues.

Based on many things you have said in many thread there is some pretty good indication that you could in general have a real strong sense of entitlement, and a real strong need to be coddled. Only truly honest introspection can give you the true answer to that question, and only a willingness to work on whatever flaws you find is likely to lead to a happy and fulfilling life. Nothing in life can ever really and truly be good if you are only able to look through a "nothing's good" lens.