Brunswick vs Olhausen

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I bought a new Olhausen Sheraton 3 years ago brand new for $2500. Solid Oak rails, Laminate around the base and on the legs, 760 cloth, I had a set of aramith balls but the ones that came with the table are quality. Cushions are fantastic and it looks nice. I just wanted a good playing table and it plays like or better than any other top of the line pool table. Olhausen's are handmade in America and service is fantastic also. I don't know any other company that you can call with a problem and talk to the owner. Brunswick? Who are you going to call in China? Buying a GC 1,2 or 3 is like buying an old car with a couple hundred thousand miles on it. Resale value isn't an issue, I wouldn't sell mine for all the GC in China. Practicing on an 8' will keep you sharp on any other size table. Diamond is a very nice table that most tournaments are played on today but you can't touch one plane jane without forking out several thousand more. I'll be getting another Olhausen for my winter home soon.

The Ohlhausen Sheraton table is listed everywhere as an ENTRY LEVEL table.
I wouldn't trade a GC for 5 Sheratons. My GC1 is stamped Union Made in USA.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brunswick never produced a standard size 44 x 88 Gold Crown, sorry;)
I know this an old thread, but I've been searching for GC I stuff.

According to the manual posted in the mechanics sub forum, the GC I was available in 5 x 10 carom and snooker, and 4 x 8 and 4 /12 x 9 pocket variants.

Also, a page from the 1962 Gold Crown brochure says "Available in pocket and gulley tables, 4 x 8 ft. and 4 1/2 x 9 ft.; Snooker and Carom tables 5 x 10 ft. and 4 1/2 x 9 ft."

(Note that the brochure page bears a 1971 copyright notice, but it's a 1962 page.)

Maybe the 4 x 8 ft. wasn't a 44 x 88" playfield?

20110064-11.jpg

20110057-2.jpg

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anybody answer my question of the 2 tables mentioned above? I'm not asking what is the best table out there but which of the 2 are is better for the $$$. I doubt I can get a better table since there isn't a lot to choose from here in utah.
Get the Olhausen. Older Brunswicks were OK but their lower-price lines these days aren't worth much. If you can pay the extra $800 get the Olhausen.
And isn't it frustrating when you ask a simple question and all these guys yammer away without answering it?

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know what you're thinking....this has been asked a 1000 times? I didn't see this question on the site so I thought I'd ask and for other people that would like to know.

Anyway, I'm a first time buyer of a house and pool table. I've always wanted to own a table since I was in middle school. Now's my chance and would like to get an honest objective (if possible please) opinions on the brunswick vs olhausen tables.

I have 2 dealers in my area that one sells olhausen and the other sells brunswick

Brunswick dealer is going to sell me an Allentown (contendor series) with tournament felt upgrade for free and new aramith pros for extra $90. Also comes with a play package, 4 cues, balls, chalk, rack, etc. Total with delivery and setup is $2400 (tax included).

Olhausen dealer is selling the lowest end one....think americana? with about same play package and free delivery and setup. Best cloth $100 extra. Selling Aramith pros for $250. Total w/tax about $3200.

The brunswick deal is way more attractive in terms of $$$ but would the extra cost of the olhausen be worth it?

I'm willing to pay extra for better performance but don't care about looks, MDF exterior which I know some of the cost is in material. All I care about is performance though. I've heard that olhausen's cusions are better than the brunswick contender series. I'm sure that's a fact but by how much?

Anybody have an objective opinion on which plays better? I know some of this is subjective but just trying to get a consensus.
BTW...I was just shopping for my first home table myself. I'm able to spend a little more than your target price so I got an upper level Connelly, but there's a website that is, by far, the most helpful and thorough source of pool table reviews on the internet IMHO. It's been referenced here before, but here it is again. They have some interesting things to say about Brunswick. Good luck with your purchase and play on...
https://www.mainehomerecreation.com/product-reviews/

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
BTW...I was just shopping for my first home table myself. I'm able to spend a little more than your target price so I got an upper level Connelly, but there's a website that is, by far, the most helpful and thorough source of pool table reviews on the internet IMHO. It's been referenced here before, but here it is again. They have some interesting things to say about Brunswick. Good luck with your purchase and play on...

I call bull$hit, Brunswick and Diamond are the only Tier 1 Pool tables PERIOD.

Gold Crown 5 and 6 and Diamond products are no doubt better than anything made by the "tier 1" listed companies.

Trent from Toledo

p.s. of course their tier 1 options are all brands they sell... HAHAHHAHA

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Connelly, what a joke. Sorry dude.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Connelly, what a joke. Sorry dude.
Thanks for the needlessly negative and ignorant comment. No concept of value or price point. Apples and oranges (or do you understand what that means?) Gold Crown is a great table for $thousands more. It's amazing to me that uninformed people are those who most strongly hold their opinions and most freely offer them to those who don't care.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I call bull$hit, Brunswick and Diamond are the only Tier 1 Pool tables PERIOD.

Gold Crown 5 and 6 and Diamond products are no doubt better than anything made by the "tier 1" listed companies.

Trent from Toledo

p.s. of course their tier 1 options are all brands they sell... HAHAHHAHA
You have no idea what you're talking about. Gold Crown are great tables but if you look at the construction of the lower priced, recently manufactured Brunswicks (have you done that? I didn't think so) they're absolute junk. Wouldn't have one in my home. Please educate yourself before you speak. Oops, too much to ask of someone like you.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
You have no idea what you're talking about. Gold Crown are great tables but if you look at the construction of the lower priced, recently manufactured Brunswicks (have you done that? I didn't think so) they're absolute junk. Wouldn't have one in my home. Please educate yourself before you speak. Oops, too much to ask of someone like you.

I have restored over 50 Gold Crowns, 20 Anniversary's and 5 Centennials. You can see all of the work right here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/toledopooltables/photos/?tab=albums
Sir, you dont know anything about current Gold Crowns. I have both GC 5 and 6's in my inventory right now and they are awesome tables.. You own a Connelly and are tryin to tell me something about quality?? You sir are full of crap. "Someone like me" works on only the best in pool tables and know my business. CONNELLY TABLES ARE JUNK. You are cheap and so are your opinions. Don't come on here acting like you know something other than a low price....

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You guys all need to get on the same sheet of music. Commercial pool tables are just that, designed for commercial usage, and for the most part, that's the Diamond ProAm style tables, and the Brunswick Gold Crown pool tables. ALL OTHER POOL TABLES FALL INTO THE HOME TABLE MARKET! When someone says they THINK Connelly pool tables are built BETTER than Brunswick tables....they are NOT TALKING ABOUT THE GOLD CROWNS, as Connely DON'T make commercial pool tables!!

Trent, DON'T sit here and compare GOLD CROWNS, ANNIVERSARY, AND CENTENNIAL pool tables as better pool tables than ALL other HOME STYLE pool tablee! They were never built has home style pool tables, there intent was in the commercial market place. If your going to compare pool tables, do so as apples to apples, or oranges to oranges. You DON'T work on all the other home style built pool tables anyway, not even the new Brunswick HOME STYLE LINE OF POOL TABLES!

The ONLY thing anyone needs to know about buying a NEW pool table is that once they get it home it just lost 50% of its value. Diamond ProAms are the ONLY pool tables on the market that retain their resale value, but their look is NOT for everyone. And don't come back with how much YOUR tables you sell have retained their value because you buy them CHEAP to begin with, or you wouldn't buy them at all, you just find those.deals before anyone else does, it's your business.

You guys need to try giving your UNBIASED opinions first, if you can't do that, then shut the hell up because you're doing nothing but confusing everyone reading!!!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
You guys all need to get on the same sheet of music. Commercial pool tables are just that, designed for commercial usage, and for the most part, that's the Diamond ProAm style tables, and the Brunswick Gold Crown pool tables. ALL OTHER POOL TABLES FALL INTO THE HOME TABLE MARKET! When someone says they THINK Connelly pool tables are built BETTER than Brunswick tables....they are NOT TALKING ABOUT THE GOLD CROWNS, as Connely DON'T make commercial pool tables!!

Trent, DON'T sit here and compare GOLD CROWNS, ANNIVERSARY, AND CENTENNIAL pool tables as better pool tables than ALL other HOME STYLE pool tablee! They were never built has home style pool tables, there intent was in the commercial market place. If your going to compare pool tables, do so as apples to apples, or oranges to oranges. You DON'T work on all the other home style built pool tables anyway, not even the new Brunswick HOME STYLE LINE OF POOL TABLES!

The ONLY thing anyone needs to know about buying a NEW pool table is that once they get it home it just lost 50% of its value. Diamond ProAms are the ONLY pool tables on the market that retain their resale value, but their look is NOT for everyone. And don't come back with how much YOUR tables you sell have retained their value because you buy them CHEAP to begin with, or you wouldn't buy them at all, you just find those.deals before anyone else does, it's your business.

You guys need to try giving your UNBIASED opinions first, if you can't do that, then shut the hell up because you're doing nothing but confusing everyone reading!!!

Every manufacturer makes a "cheap" home table. None are better than the other and are a waste of time and money. Brunswick Contender series tables are exactly like all the other "price point" tables out there: CHEAP. I have worked on Connelly's, Olhausen, Contender and the higher end Brunswick Non commercial Tables. I would never recommend a Connelly, they would be DEAD LAST.

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Every manufacturer makes a "cheap" home table. None are better than the other and are a waste of time and money. Brunswick Contender series tables are exactly like all the other "price point" tables out there: CHEAP. I have worked on Connelly's, Olhausen, Contender and the higher end Brunswick Non commercial Tables. I would never recommend a Connelly, they would be DEAD LAST.

Trent from Toledo

That's good for you, but you don't represent the industry!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I work in it. My opinion counts. :)

Trent from Toledo

When a person asks for advice between 2 different makes of pool tables, that's where you give your opinion, but you shoot both tables down as total junk....because your biased, which is why you make it a point to tell everyone just WHICH pool tables YOU DO support the sale of....yours!! If you can't stay on the subject, then don't make a comment, and stop arguing with those that DON'T agree with your biased opinions!!

Stick to the framework of your business model, because this is NOT the way to give advice to anyone.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Loop
I have restored over 50 Gold Crowns, 20 Anniversary's and 5 Centennials. You can see all of the work right here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/toledopooltables/photos/?tab=albums
Sir, you dont know anything about current Gold Crowns. I have both GC 5 and 6's in my inventory right now and they are awesome tables.. You own a Connelly and are tryin to tell me something about quality?? You sir are full of crap. "Someone like me" works on only the best in pool tables and know my business. CONNELLY TABLES ARE JUNK. You are cheap and so are your opinions. Don't come on here acting like you know something other than a low price....

Trent from Toledo

Right here....in your own words, your biased OPINION showed it's position as you're to caught up in your own "opinion" to realize he complemented GOLD CROWNS, but WASN'T comparing CONNELLY pool tables to the GOLD CROWNS, he was comparing them to the Brunswick home pool tables. But AGAIN, you only see what you want to see!

If you can't admit your wrong, I have nothing further to say.

PS, you DO realize Brunswick builds and sells a line of home pool tables, RIGHT?....or do you think Brunswick only Builds Gold Crowns???

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Trent, I AGREE with this person, and I have over 38 YEARS experience in this industry, my OPINION Carries a lot more weight than your what....4 years?