another way to rate speed at this game

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C, B, A ratings, etc are subjective and mean different things to different people. It's always interesting, imo, to try to tie these things down a little.

Try this little exercise. You're driving down the highway far away from home with your pool cue in the car. You see a green sign:

ANYTOWN USA
POPULATION XXX

What, for you, would XXX have to be for you to have an even chance of being able to beat anybody in town?

Assume here that all towns have a random representative sampling of United States residents. That's not true of course, but it makes things a lot easier.

For me, I think the answer is XXX= 20,000.

Here is what I think are reasonable labels based on the value of XXX

RATING VALUE OF XXX
_______ ____________

D 50
C 500
B 5,000
A 50,000 (6000 of these in the country)
shortstop 500,000 (600 of these in the country)
touring pro 5,000,000 (60 of these in the country)
world class 50,000,000 (6 of these in the country)

What would XXX be for you?

mike page
fargo

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I accidentally posted this here (IPT). I have since reposted it to the main forum. If you're inclined to reply, please do it there. thanks

mike page
fargo

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I don't think this really works. I'm an A level player or slightly better and if I drive into a town of 50 000 people I certainly don't think to myself I can beat every single one of them. Brockville Ontario, is a small city 20, 000 but there are some damn good players who I would be hesitant to bet a lot of money against.

I just can't make an estimate. I would have to find a pool room and play it by ear.

hippiepool

Banned
mikepage said:
C, B, A ratings, etc are subjective and mean different things to different people. It's always interesting, imo, to try to tie these things down a little.

Try this little exercise. You're driving down the highway far away from home with your pool cue in the car. You see a green sign:

ANYTOWN USA
POPULATION XXX

What, for you, would XXX have to be for you to have an even chance of being able to beat anybody in town?

Assume here that all towns have a random representative sampling of United States residents. That's not true of course, but it makes things a lot easier.

For me, I think the answer is XXX= 20,000.

Here is what I think are reasonable labels based on the value of XXX

RATING VALUE OF XXX
_______ ____________

D 50
C 500
B 5,000
A 50,000 (6000 of these in the country)
shortstop 500,000 (600 of these in the country)
touring pro 5,000,000 (60 of these in the country)
world class 50,000,000 (6 of these in the country)

What would XXX be for you?

mike page
fargo
i think you did something backwards ...unless you are saying there are 50,000,000 world class players