• 3B4C8742-1132-4674-A80E-03BE14B835D9.jpeg
    3B4C8742-1132-4674-A80E-03BE14B835D9.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Seems 100 is at the low end of costs.

https://health.costhelper.com/x-rays.html#:~:targetText=For%20patients%20without%20health%20insurance,the%20number%20of%20views%20taken.

X-rays typically are covered by health insurance. For patients covered by health insurance, out-of-pocket costs typically consist of nothing, if the plan covers X-rays in full, or a copay of $10-$50 or coinsurance of about 10%-50%.
For patients without health insurance, X-rays typically cost about $100-$1,000 or more. On average, X-rays cost $260-$460, varying by provider and geographic location, according to NewChoiceHealth.com[1] . Actual X-ray cost depends on the provider, the part of the body being X-rayed, and the number of views taken. According to NewChoiceHealth.com, the average cost for a finger X-ray is $100, for a hand $180, for a wrist $190, for a knee $200, for a thigh $280, for a pelvis $350, for a chest $370, and for a full body $1,100.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
call around for pricing. I think if you took a dog in, it wouldn't be $20, so maybe $100 is in the ball park.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, work out at deal for one xray at
forearm where the screw is, then send
the pic to Pete Tascarella.. done.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked a vet friend who works on horses. $50 set up fee, $45 per plate. He said $100 seemed reasonable. At least you are not getting robbed.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That seems extremely high for a plain film that doesn’t include a medical interpretation. Now that most imaging is done digitally, there isn’t nearly as much overhead for consumables like film and chemicals. A guy could even stick the joint in a fluoroscope and snap a pic with enough resolution to ID the screw.

For perspective: some urgent care facilities, morgues, and emergency departments will image Halloween candy for free or a few dollars. Take the cue somewhere else in a Halloween bag and ask if they’ll check it for razor blades.

Back in the 50s, many shoe stores had a fluoroscope you stuck your feet into to check shoe fit. I used to run in and play with it every chance I got (lucky my toes haven’t fallen off!).
Standard hardware store bolts of the same size pretty much likely all look the same at low KV X-ray intensity. If he favored a specific type (brass, alum., zinc, stainless, etc.), then high-KV comparison films would be required for positive ID. (save removal/inspection).
I’ll bet many rural vets haven’t bothered to upgrade their expensive X-ray systems to digital yet (?).

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP, Howdy;

Check around for folks that do NDI (Non-Destructive Testing/Inspecting). Folks that
check the wields on pipe and such. They are more used to stuff other then bone and
flesh.
Try Google for your area.

hank

Steppo

That's my Bourbon
Silver Member
I’ve had two cues x-rayed by my dentist. He was curious how they were made so he x-rayed them for free.