Custom Cue Values... Little help from people in the know?

marinemike0931

Registered
So, I've been shooting in amature pool leagues for about 13 years now and am finally considering having a custom cue made. The problem I have is the pricing seems to be heavily driven by reputation. If someone is selling a custom cue, it doesn't seem to matter how it hits, or how intricate the inlay work is if it wasn't built by a well known and reputable maker. I've been working with a cue maker out of Singapore who's work seems really solid and the few people in my area who own his cues are very impressed with his work. One of the guys I talked to said it hits just like his Barnhart. So, I got a quote for a cue that I did a rendering of (I'll add a picture) and the price came back at $2150 (shipped, including PP fees with 1 shaft, matching extension, and 2 sets of joint protectors... 1 of which I'm using for my Jacoby). Guy tells me it would cost $4k+ for Jacoby to make it for me, I believe him... But what would it be worth if I ever try to sell it? There's a lot of work here, but will anyone appreciate it if I ever try to unload it?
17da2da11ca19812cc100685f7ed9c48.jpg
3520df0769e1917ecb47690142969e34.jpg
4d3f2426647a073829c9be9fe8fd768c.jpg
e3cff52bc19cc7dcebd74d157198a4c5.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would ask Jacoby if they’re who you like. Then I would ask Joel Davidas from the Philippines. In the end, I would do what makes me happy.

Except for a handful of guys, you’ll probably take a big hit on the resale of a custom build like that, no matter who makes it.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not a cue guy, but that design is bordering on a totem pole look which is probably my least favourite cue design. taste differs though. unless there is a famous singaporean cuemaker that i've missed you probably won't get even close to half the price trying to re-sell it..

marinemike0931

Registered
I would ask Jacoby if they’re who you like. Then I would ask Joel Davidas from the Philippines. In the end, I would do what makes me happy.

Except for a handful of guys, you’ll probably take a big hit on the resale of a custom build like that, no matter who makes it.
Yeah, that'd be awesome if I had Jacoby custom cue $$$... I went into this thinking I'd spend $800-1500 on a decent cue that matches my CF shaft better and is unique. Turned into this monstrosity.

marinemike0931

Registered
not a cue guy, but that design is bordering on a totem pole look which is probably my least favourite cue design. taste differs though. unless there is a famous singaporean cuemaker that i've missed you probably won't get even close to half the price trying to re-sell it..
Yeah, I've actually changed it up a bit, but the 1 I posted was the version I got the quoted over $2k on. He told me it'd be $1150 for this version. Ebony, Iv***, black web recon turquoise, white lizard wrap and red amboyna burl where all the brown is.
4202229a4899c8f47a9439ec6eedac93.jpg

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This cue is right in JoeI Davidas’ wheelhouse. I would recommend an alternative white material if you’re going with an overseas build.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I've actually changed it up a bit, but the 1 I posted was the version I got the quoted over $2k on. He told me it'd be $1150 for this version. Ebony, Iv***, black web recon turquoise, white lizard wrap and red amboyna burl where all the brown is.
4202229a4899c8f47a9439ec6eedac93.jpg

that's better, and less money lost. have you checked with any PI cuemakers? singapore is an expensive country

marinemike0931

Registered
that's better, and less money lost. have you checked with any PI cuemakers? singapore is an expensive country
No I haven't, I went straight to this guy because I'd been following his work on FB for a while... I really wouldn't know where to start on finding a good builder in the PI

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Obviously you like turquoise. Don't settle for blue plastic, not in a four figure cue. You will regret it.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No I haven't, I went straight to this guy because I'd been following his work on FB for a while... I really wouldn't know where to start on finding a good builder in the PI

Mike i have been collecting,flipping cues for alot of years.you are never guranteed your money(or even a specific percentage of your money back on custom cues) the truth of the matter is though that,depending on how well you take care of it of course,you will always be able to get 50-75 percent of your purchase price .of course this is where buying from a established builder comes into play. If you buy from? Say, ernie guittierrez(ginacue) you would spend 2-3 times your budget on a cue similar to what you,re looking for...BUT...when you go to resale(IF you actually want or need to resale) you can expect almost ALL of your money back on a "fancy" cue like this....no offense to the phillipino builders. But their cues lose more on resale than any builders i can think of...ALSO the top builders also build cues that PLAY ssooo good that hopefully you don,t ever want to sell it . Whatever you do ,try out(actually hitting balls with specific cuemakers to find which ones play like you like. If you want a cue as fancy as your design,you are gonna have to go with guys who
Se cues usually depreciate considerably on the second hand market( you will lose on selling it)... If i were you i would 1) find the cuemaker whose cues"hit" the way i like it to...2) i would have him build me a cue with a simple,classic design that is never going out of style...3) i would then have it made with beatiful woods( burls,gaboon ebony,spalted maple,etc...) because people will ALWAYS want pretty ,simple cues made of great woods by great ,reputable cuemakers...THEY never go out of style. Also remember,you might want to try to KEEP your first custom cue... I highly encourage you to go into this looking for the best"playing" cue you have ever owned because isn,t that the reason to buy a cue anyway??? I have owned many plain janes,merry widow cues that typically have a certain wood for the forearm a d another (differnt wood) for the handle section...i love gaboon ebony foreams and buttsleeves with an exotic or pretty wood section for the handle(burls,permanbuco,etc... And it will lookgrat,PLAY even better,and will always be sought after on the second hand market. Go for as pretty a rings as you can afford and whatever you do,DO NOT have your name or anything else thet"personalizes" the cue to you...this will make it almost impossible to resale if you ever do want to flip it. Good luck.enjoy ordering and designing your first custom cue and more importantly,PLAYING with it!!! If you are actually (or was) a marine..thank you for your service buddy,seriously.God Bless too

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would reccomend (a few of my favorites for cues like i described) that retain their value fairly well and most importantly,PLAY GREAT!! Rick Howard,Bluegrass cues(richard harris) sugartree cues, and although i haven,t played with one,i hear they play fantastic and his wood selection is SPOT ON, joey bautista. Also wes hunter classics another cuemaker whose style is very different but he builds monster players and he and his wife are simply the nicest people in cuemaking is keith and sherri josey from savannah georgia. Good luck,buy what you like and buy because you want a "custom" cue from a guy who pours his life into their work. I really recommend never buy a production cue( you can never come close to getting your money back and there is no personal attachment to mass produced cues pumped out of a factory/shop

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And no offense to jacoby cues but take a close look at their resale values?...i wouldn,t buy from anyone who makes alot of cues each year ...border on production cues in my opinion.(not aying jacoby does but it sure seems their is a ton of them for sale all the time.

marinemike0931

Registered
Obviously you like turquoise. Don't settle for blue plastic, not in a four figure cue. You will regret it.
It's black web recon turquoise, I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff in my Jacoby... I like the look of the black web
d97050e888c694fec2befb562c5f1bc8.jpg

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And by the way i really like your cue design( be aware though that using stones(turquoise) etc... Looks good,really good,but resale seems to suffer.

marinemike0931

Registered
I would reccomend (a few of my favorites for cues like i described) that retain their value fairly well and most importantly,PLAY GREAT!! Rick Howard,Bluegrass cues(richard harris) sugartree cues, and although i haven,t played with one,i hear they play fantastic and his wood selection is SPOT ON, joey bautista. Also wes hunter classics another cuemaker whose style is very different but he builds monster players and he and his wife are simply the nicest people in cuemaking is keith and sherri josey from savannah georgia. Good luck,buy what you like and buy because you want a "custom" cue from a guy who pours his life into their work. I really recommend never buy a production cue( you can never come close to getting your money back and there is no personal attachment to mass produced cues pumped out of a factory/shop
Thanks for the advice and recommendations

marinemike0931

Registered
And by the way i really like your cue design( be aware though that using stones(turquoise) etc... Looks good,really good,but resale seems to suffer.
I started out just wishing my Jacoby was ebony instead of maple so my CF shaft would match better... Then I got on the custom cue kick.
I am really a Marine BTW... This is me on the right, Fallujah Iraq 15 years ago this month (battle started November 8th and went through the middle of December)... Still to this day, the bloodiest battle since Hue City, Vietnam. My battalion had (1st BN 8th Marine Regiment) 19 Marines KIA and over 120 wounded. There were 3 other Marine Battalions and 2 Army Cav units as well. Look up Operation Phantom Fury if you're interested. And please remember the fallen today... That's what today is all about for me.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn,t mention the cuemaker i think is building the best playing cues in the world right now...Larry Vigus..he doesn,t take orders he builds what he likes and offers them up for sell. His cues are players and their resale values ,although never guranteed,is only going up. If my budget was around 1500 or so,Larrys bridged point full splices would be my choice period.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There was a thread in the Main Forum about a year ago, IIRC, listing cue design features that responders hated. Again from my recollection, stones like turquoise and malachite were mentioned more than once. If I were considering a fancy custom, I would read it first. There was a lot of great advice. The more potential buyers that you remove from the pool, the less you'll get on resale.

Last edited:

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started out just wishing my Jacoby was ebony instead of maple so my CF shaft would match better... Then I got on the custom cue kick.
I am really a Marine BTW... This is me on the right, Fallujah Iraq 15 years ago this month (battle started November 8th and went through the middle of December)... Still to this day, the bloodiest battle since Hue City, Vietnam. My battalion had (1st BN 8th Marine Regiment) 19 Marines KIA and over 120 wounded. There were 3 other Marine Battalions and 2 Army Cav units as well. Look up Operation Phantom Fury if you're interested. And please remember the fallen today... That's what today is all about for me.

Again thanks for your service buddy,i will check it out too. I don,t see any pictures,you might be in the process of posting some? Please don,t buy a cue from any maker till you hit so e balls with a cue made by them...if you do like it,then make sure to order the same joint pin and shaft size so it plays the same! Enjoy the custom craze buddy,but it is a sickness lol!